Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good factions getting their asses kicked gets boring?

Default Good factions getting their asses kicked gets boring?

Ive played about 4 full length campaigns now and i dont think ive ever seen rohan or gondor do well. Rohan gets completely dismantled every game, and the only variation with Gondor is whether or not they can hang on to minas tirith etc or not. I dont think ive ever seen them push towards the black gate or into harad. The elves suck, in my current game the high elves havnt expanded at all, and the silvans have lost half of mirkwood to mordor. This is madness as they must have the most powerful roster in the game. Now sorry if this is a whine, but i just find that boring and frustrating. I toggle_fow and every good faction is either getting shredded or being completely passive. (By turn 60 on my eriador campaign the dwarves still havnt taken thorin's halls....) Anyone know of mods which change this?
    "...and all the men and women merely players."

Default Re: Good factions getting their asses kicked gets boring?

u have to consider that in AI vs AI numbers count not quality (well numbers overwhelm quality by far)

and since garrison scripts kicks in, for example the silvan elvves auto lose if they siege dol guldur with a full stack, since another with 250 soldiers each shows to defend, they get into a 3-4:1 ratio, wich in autoresolves = win for mordor...

same for the others

Since we seem to get both kinds of threads in equal measure I'd say the campaign is pretty balanced on average.

Shocked's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post

Since we seem to get both kinds of threads in equal measure I'd say the campaign is pretty balanced on average.
    LOL.
    Computer specifications -
    GPU: GTX 780
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k overclocked @ 4 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3
    Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 4

Agree with Jean-A-Luc...
    My current campaign (granted its still using 1.4) the Dwarves are absolutely raping the OOTMM, they have about 4 full stacks of top quality troops just wandering around steam rolling people. Luckily theyve yet to bother me.

Likewise Gondor is beating Harad and has taken two of its overseas territories, indeed if it weren't for me (Mordor) Gondor would be very powerful. Rohan is slowly beating Isengard, and High Elves and Eriador although somewhat passive are a formidable prospect to invade due to their huge standing armies.

The only good factions which Id say are doing bad in my campaign are Dale who are slowly losing to Rhun and the Silvan Elves who are being beat on by me and the OOTMM, they only have 2 territories left.

In fact in mine It feels like im the only evil faction doing anything, OOTMM Ill let off as they are at war with everyone, but Isengard and Harad specifically are basically fannying about not achieving anything. And Harad are the richest faction by about 5 times more than the 2nd placed!

As with most games though its pure luck/randomness imo.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDevil View Post
    u have to consider that in AI vs AI numbers count not quality (well numbers overwhelm quality by far)

and since garrison scripts kicks in, for example the silvan elvves auto lose if they siege dol guldur with a full stack, since another with 250 soldiers each shows to defend, they get into a 3-4:1 ratio, wich in autoresolves = win for mordor...

same for the others
    Not sure if KK implemented it but he very probably did, even with secondary hitpoints boosted by up to 2 or 3 for high quality units (so a unit with 3 secondary hp counts for 4x strength in autoresolve), numbers still count for too much in autoresolve, there is nothing more to be done unfortunately The game doesn't recognize values greater than 3 for autoresolve, otherwise we could really improve it.

If you find that the good guys are always losing, turn off the Garrison Script. That will allow them to attack without just causing the enemy to grow stronger by spawn.

Dularaki's Avatar Libertus

I am playing as Eriador and absolutely wiping the floor with Isengard and OoG. if that faction can win a fight...any of them can. The only people I have had trouble with were the dwarves becuz I couldnt chase down any of the orc skirmisher units.

Its a fair point in many campaigns, but all it really shows is you as the human have to change the balance in the strategic map, and not just worry about your own border disputes. There is almost always at least one big wave that will effect your good neighbors and you need to prop them up or face a LONG uphill battle.

For instance, in MOST campaigns:
    Gondor - if you are Gondor you need to help Rohan with Isengard, right away, usually first 15 turns. If you go take back the 3-4 towns Isengard gets and give back to Rohan or support Rohan to not lose them, Eriador and HE will be OK with OOTMM. If Isengard is strong, then OOTMM grows too and eventually your north border will be evil.
    Rohan - If Rohan, all you need to do is help Gondor repel first Harad invasion. Of all AI, Gondor will handle its business if you get them past turn 50 or so with basic starting areas intact.
    Dale - You need to help SE with Mordor stacks coming north as well as handle your own Rhun business. If you help SE with Mordor, they do OK with OOTMM also and dwarves and HE prosper. If not, you will be fighting two front war.
    SE - Hem in OOTMM right away, and move Mordor fight to Thoronburg. If not, OOTMM gets big and will hold on a LONG time versus good.
    HE - if you go hard at Isengard right away, then Rohan and Eriador grow and prosper.

I think the AI evil advantage makes the strategic part of the game much more interesting. Yes you can still win if you let evil run free but damn will it take a loooooooong game. I did it once as HE and I swear I got Thomas Edison as an ancillary it took so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post

Lol. Personaly I think good guys are a little bit weak. At least in (all so far) my campaigns...and at least Rohan and Gondor. Elves and dwarves are doing just fine and Dale is capable of holding the line. But the bastion of hope for the west (gondor) is destroyed soon after turn 100.
    "When your opponent fears you, then's the moment when you give the fear its own rein, give it the time to work on him. Let it become terror. The terrified man fights himself. Eventually, he attacks in desperation. That is the most dangerous moment, but the terrified man can be trusted usually to make a fatal mistake."

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

I'm playing as Eriador at the moment and Rohan has Isengard on the ropes while simultaneously mopping up the remnants of a recent Invasion. Maybe it's just this campaign (luck) but I was thinking that Rohan are too strong; I was hoping to destroy Isengard myself.

In my current campaign with SE, Rohan destroyed Isengard, Gondor is holding of Mordor relatively easily, and even expanded a bit a few times. Don't know if they have managed to hold on though. Eriador and HE are mopping up OoG and OotMM. Sure it's going slow as hell, but last I checked they only had one settlement left each... Dale and the Dwarves are really screwing up though. They are as good as dead, and if not for my constant armies there they would have fallen already. Really annoying it's costing me too much money. But overall the good guys are doing better then the bad guys in this campaign...

I think it's just luck though, in my previous campaign Isengard had all but wiped out Rohan before I even thought of moving south.

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My Eriador campaign is only at turn 50-60.

It doesn't seem to be going well for the good guys. Rohan is getting crushed by Isengard. The high Elves keep losing Rivendell to OOMM. The Dwarves and OOG are at a stalemate.

I don't know about the rest of the map, but I fear the worst.

I keep recapturing Rivendell and handing back the the High Elves, and then they just go and lose it again. This time I am going to lauch an offensive to retake Rivendell again, and Ost-In-Edhill. I hope they can hang onto them.

Eriador is pretty weak at this stage, and I cannot afford to permanently babysit the High Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinenta Buttox View Post
    My Eriador campaign is only at turn 50-60.

It doesn't seem to be going well for the good guys. Rohan is getting crushed by Isengard. The high Elves keep losing Rivendell to OOMM. The Dwarves and OOG are at a stalemate.
    why are OOG still alive at turn 60 when you are eriador?
    "...and all the men and women merely players."

In my current Eriador/Arnor campaign Mordor is totally down: The Sylvans have taken Dol Guldur, Gondor has all of Ithilien and the Black Gate, so they are imprisoned. Harad is stagnating, Rhun looks pretty strong. OoG are destroyed by me, OotMM are barely alive (surely my influence). Isengard had nearly killed Rohan, but are now overrun by me.

So all in all it varies, but on the whole the balance is not bad, I rather would have a bit stronger bad guys, especially stronger Mordor (In my also current Gondor campaign I also could take out Mordor a bit too easily despite of some struggling in the beginning...).

My game is terribly boring.

Every campaign i play nothing happens, the factions gather up the rebel settlements then justt settle into border skirmishes. A few lands are won but the AI is incredibly boring in all my campaigns

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes Trismegistos View Post
    I rather would have a bit stronger bad guys, especially stronger Mordor (In my also current Gondor campaign I also could take out Mordor a bit too easily despite of some struggling in the beginning...).

i too think this but not only for Mordor and for all beacuse in ALL I say in ALL my campagin good guys win...i don't know a campagin when evil win

Now i play with OoG and i kicked Eriador assesbut rest of evil do a baaaaad job

Isengard-defeat in turn 50-55 by Rohan and they lost Isengard(city) in ~40 turn

Mordor-lost all city from Mirkwood...Ithilien too is lost +Minas Morgul under siege every year

Harad-they lost little isle from NW of they're land + 2-3 north settelment

Rhun-they too are defeat like Isengard,Dale beat them from start of the game and now they have 3/4 of Rhun start settelment and now fight with Mordor

OotM-they have all city from Misty Mountain+Ost-in-Gill and on village north to Lorien(without my help they too was now dead)

In consclusion i say evil faction are week and not good one
    Last edited by Seshomaru; August 02, 2010 at 07:38 AM.

Bloodzen's Avatar Decanus

The bad guys are too weak in my current Eriador/Arnor campaign.

I'm at turn 180 and I have destroyed Oog, OoMm and Isengard while I have 3 stacks running amok in Mordor conquering everything with little resistance apart from garrison scripts.

most recent campaign i played gondor kicked mordors ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tallstark View Post
    Its a fair point in many campaigns, but all it really shows is you as the human have to change the balance in the strategic map, and not just worry about your own border disputes. There is almost always at least one big wave that will effect your good neighbors and you need to prop them up or face a LONG uphill battle.

For instance, in MOST campaigns:
    Gondor - if you are Gondor you need to help Rohan with Isengard, right away, usually first 15 turns. If you go take back the 3-4 towns Isengard gets and give back to Rohan or support Rohan to not lose them, Eriador and HE will be OK with OOTMM. If Isengard is strong, then OOTMM grows too and eventually your north border will be evil.
    Rohan - If Rohan, all you need to do is help Gondor repel first Harad invasion. Of all AI, Gondor will handle its business if you get them past turn 50 or so with basic starting areas intact.
    Dale - You need to help SE with Mordor stacks coming north as well as handle your own Rhun business. If you help SE with Mordor, they do OK with OOTMM also and dwarves and HE prosper. If not, you will be fighting two front war.
    SE - Hem in OOTMM right away, and move Mordor fight to Thoronburg. If not, OOTMM gets big and will hold on a LONG time versus good.
    HE - if you go hard at Isengard right away, then Rohan and Eriador grow and prosper.

I think the AI evil advantage makes the strategic part of the game much more interesting. Yes you can still win if you let evil run free but damn will it take a loooooooong game. I did it once as HE and I swear I got Thomas Edison as an ancillary it took so long.
    All true, but if you play any of the evil factions the good guys don't have a chance. That's why I think invasions should be possible for good factions as well. Good guys are always alone fighting different enemies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast