Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reduced City Textures for Third Age Total War 2

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Reduced City Textures for Third Age Total War 2

Notes by the author
    - This is not a fix as such, it does not correct errors, that's why you find it in the sub mods department. By simply reducing the size of skins, the processor load gets reduced, thereby reducing lag. I have simply taken the original building textures (skins) provided by TATW and halved their measurements, thereby reducing the memory requirements by upto 3/4 for these files.
    - Please note that users of a minimum requirement computer set up might not profit from this as their machine is taxed to the hilt already.
    - Users of a high end set up will most likely not experience much of a change due to the high capability of their machine.
    - The installation is save game compatible and will have effect in your current game.

Installation
    It is (as usual) vital to follow the listed steps below, please don't do custom stuff and then come complaining.

Step 1 - back up Just in case you decide you don't like my stuff (or I messed up, heavens beware!) browse to this folder and rename it, I would recommend to add 'original' (without the the quotes) to the end of the name.

...\mods\Third_Age\data\blockset\textures\faction_variations

Step 2 - a taste of vanilla Download and extract Creating a World - Reduced City Textures into the root of your M2TW installation. This will install reduced city textures for the basic M2TW game. As it installs into the root directory of the original game, these changes will affect all games - unless a mod provides custom textures like TATW does.

Step 3 - one to join them all The reduced custom files for TATW were lost. A description how to do it yourself can be found here.

Step 4 - use your options Optional - It appears (not confirmed) that setting your graphics option to 'shader 2' will improve the effect as well.

Disclaimer
    I did not have much time to test this installation. Please do give feed back.

Last edited by Gigantus; July 16, 2015 at 01:21 AM.

Default Re: Reduced City Textures for Third Age Total War version 2.1

+Rep for your time and effort.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Campidoctor

Default Re: Reduced City Textures for Third Age Total War 2

Well done!! might just be the the submod i need thanks a bunch Gigantus
    oh, and +rep for all the time you put in this

Will this (negatively) affect tatw's retextured cities?

All in all this should help quite a bit. Even though it's primarily unit numbers that add to lag I find that the addition of a city battle compounds the problem significantly.

Those Osgiliath defensive sieges would especially get nightmarish with the huge walls and thousands of orcs trying to squeeze through the gate.

Blog Entries

I did not change anything in the textures apart from the size. Same principle as in the vanilla textures. Those were reduced from 2048*2048 to 512*512 and you can see a difference when you use a high end machine (for which this sub mod\fix isn't necessary).
    The TATW textures have been halved in sized (1024*1024) and I sincerely doubt the change is noticeable.

The unit textures of TATW are generally double the size (1366KB against 633KB) of vanilla textures, and the setting on huge (250 soldiers per unit) compounds the load on the processor. But then reducing the unit texture size would most likely be noticeable. Kind of the difference between a prop (buildings) and the actors (units).
    You will certainly not get me to reduce all unit textures, I still have plans for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You will certainly not get me to reduce all unit textures, I still have plans for Christmas!
    Don't worry, wasn't trying to. T'was just a general comment. I'll certainly try this.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

thanks i ll try this.

i cant play tatw effectively however i can play deus lo vult and ss with high settings.my tatw is lagging awful terrible

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

It's because TATW uses high-poly models.

so it doesnt include unit texture?so my lagging will continue with tatw?

for example i play deus lo vult

trillioner,unit quality highest ,grass vegetation building effect all high.and it doesnt lad.

but when i play third age i make them all low.i close all shadows ofcourse even so its impossible to play.

+rep, i will need it

signature and avatar were made by Grímbóld'

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Much needed here as well, thank you!

so that it only affects core m2tw game so can i ise this for stainless steel mod too?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karaislam View Post
    so that it only affects core m2tw game so can i ise this for stainless steel mod too?
    For mods other then TATW only step 2 is needed.

TomekPL's Avatar Foederatus

This is something I needed. Wonderful job.
    Thank you!
    "Jam nie z soli ani z roli ale z tego co mnie boli"

"Jakby cierpienie uczyło, to Polska byłaby jednym z najmędrszych krajów świata."

simplemind07's Avatar Tiro

Just how hard it it to reduce the unit textures? Is there a tutorial for it? I might give it a shot.
    Love is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only YOU can feel the warmth.
    WE have no limit. Saying so is just a pathetic excuse of giving up!

Blog Entries

It isn't hard, just time consuming.

You can use the python version of the 'texture2dds' converter to convert the whole unit_model directories in one go from texture to dds.
    Then you open each DDS file without mipmaps, reduce the size of the graphic by half and save it as DDS format with mipmaps to be generated and with the DTX5 option chosen.
    Once you are finished you convert all files in one fell swoop from DDS to texture with the converter and delete the DDS files. I wrote a little batch file for the deleting, simply place it in the unit_models directory, double click it and it will remove ALL DDS files in that directory and it's sub directories.
    If you are working with GIMP, here is the DDS plug-in.

And then you present your work for everyone to admire.

gigantus man if u can make unit retexture i ll be thankful to u.i really wanna play this mod but i cant.

Blog Entries

I just counted = 650 textures. Even at a fast pace it will take 2 minutes per texture (and that will most likely create errors), that makes 1300 minutes. That is just under 22 hours. Given that you can't do this repetitive work for more then two hours a day without going nuts it will take 11 days. Knowing my wife you better make that at least 14 days.

And then there are still the other mods I am working with, sorry mate, just not possible.

simplemind07's Avatar Tiro

How do I reduce the graphic by half in GIMP? Do I go to Image>scale image>and change the image size to 512x512? If so then what about the X and Y resolution do I leave them alone? As well as the quality, do I leave it at cubic? Sorry for the questions I think I'll do this

Edit: Forgot, when you save it, is it BC3/DXT5, BC3n/DXT5n, Alpha exponent(DXT5), YCoCg(DXT5), YCoCg scaled(DXT5), there's alot of DXT5's >_<
    Last edited by simplemind07; July 31, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Love is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only YOU can feel the warmth.
    WE have no limit. Saying so is just a pathetic excuse of giving up!

Quote Originally Posted by simplemind07 View Post
    How do I reduce the graphic by half in GIMP? Do I go to Image>scale image>and change the image size to 512x512? If so then what about the X and Y resolution do I leave them alone? As well as the quality, do I leave it at cubic? Sorry the questions I think I'll do this
    i dont know the answer of ur questions but if u are success i ll clearly download and enjoy it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast