Thread: TWC Grand Campaign Guide - FRANCE

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Default TWC Grand Campaign Guide - FRANCE

Below are the download links for this guide and the map/index that accompanies it...

Because there is a 1MB limit on posting PDF-files, this 43-page (not a typo) guide is compressed in the RAR-file -- once downloaded and decompressed, the PDF is 2.53MB

The RAR-file also contains the 2-page PDF of the Coded Campaign Map & Index, created by Luckylewis... if you like this guide and want to know who to thank besides me, please don't forget Luckylewis, as his map/index are a key tool to using the guide

Attachment 100350

The A Teams NTW Grand Campaign Map - Coded with Index.pdf
    I came, I saw, I wrote a guide

Default Re: TWC Grand Campaign Guide - FRANCE

Hi Again! I'm going to try out the french guide now! I'll put any errors in this post right here.

1. First thing I noticed when playing with version 1.0 and the latest (I upgraded it all back to normal) is that when dealing with Portugal for a trade agreement, they only give 180 gold for the counter-offer, not 500 as stated. Of course, I'm using my saved game from 1.0, so I guess I could redo it just to be doubly sure.

EDIT: I tried it with the latest and they only offer 180 still. I have to assume it must be because of not getting a 4-star minister? I don't know the random seed method... but how would the justice minister have anything to do with this? :/

2. In turn 1, "Defend your cities", you mention that there are 6 militia and 6 more to be built. I actually had to build 8 militia to cover all the cities without any militia. Of course, 2 militia start in paris, so I could just move one of them. That still makes 7 instead of 6 :/ You did say to move the one militia to the port to protect it after all Is that the missing one?

Since this affair is entirely confusing, even for someone who finished the british campaign, in this one case, I think specific instructions to moving and/or building the miltia is required, unlike the roads (this works fine).

3. Because of the extra militia and not making enough money off one of my diplomatic transactions, I couldn't afford the recommended Sloop. If I take the militia from 8 to 7, I have enough to get the sloop at Brest, but not at the other location. So I can move on with the guide, I'm going to forget building the militia at corsica. My guess is that this is going to be okay. Hope I'm right!

4. The gentleman didn't show up for me on turn 4, which set back my research by 1 turn.
    Last edited by egervari; September 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM.

Oh, I finally figured out that random seed thing, so I got my ministers to the right levels and I am now making 2,076 a turn. I got so many with no traits and the same face that I thought it wasn't working. I had no idea I had to do this like 10+ times to get a good one

Anyway, I'm going to make another attempt at this, just to be sure that these are actual problems in your guide. After going through your guide again though, I noticed another mistake.

5. "For some extra cash that you will need this turn, offer the Kingdom of Sardinia the technologies of Conscription & Fire and Advance for 1,000."

Clearly this is Kingdom of Sicily, correct? Sardinia doesn't exist as a diplomatic choice. There are Kingdoms of Naples, Italy and Sicily only. You can make the suggested trade with Sicily and it will still work.

6. EDIT: I am positive that portugal will only give 180 for this trade. I muddled with the numbers and did 2 counter offers in a row, and eventually got 190 from them. Unfortunately, this makes the 2nd Sloop impossible to get. The militia at Corsica must be sacrificed until 2 turns. There's no other way. Weirdly, My projected income for turn 3 is actually much greater than yours. This happened both times I played up to this point, which enables getting that militia on corsica.

7. I am on turn 10 now and I have about 2000 more money than you did with the exact same moves, in addition, I got an extra iron mine, so I was actually 2800 up. I'm not sure how this happened. I am doing exactly what you're saying.

8. Unfortunately, Casablanca trading post was not abandoned, so I had to just supply my existing ones. I don't think it matters as I am ahead in the money game anyway, so the few gold lost from Casablanca compared to another one is probably irrelevant anyway.

9. Turn 18 presents a really big obstacle. After recruiting the new general, it cannot move very far to attack Baden-Württemberg. I also want to point out that the Austrians never took it over. In fact, they never got Bavaria either. So going to war with this nation is going to hurt the trade income with the swiss, and have all kinds of bad consequences for me. This is obviously not how the game was supposed to play out.

10. There wasn't enough space to recruit the new general in Strasbourg on turn 18, as that other 3-star general was still there (Murat). I'm guessing I didn't make any mistakes in my moves, so perhaps telling the player what to do with him would be good

11. At turn 25, there's still 5 Fusiliers and 2 Chavels sitting in Marseille. Was that supposed to happen, or were they supposed to go the asti mines and/or Torino?
    Last edited by egervari; September 13, 2010 at 07:20 AM.

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by egervari View Post
    Hi Again! I'm going to try out the french guide now! I'll put any errors in this post right here.

1. First thing I noticed when playing with version 1.0 and the latest (I upgraded it all back to normal) is that when dealing with Portugal for a trade agreement, they only give 180 gold for the counter-offer, not 500 as stated. Of course, I'm using my saved game from 1.0, so I guess I could redo it just to be doubly sure.

EDIT: I tried it with the latest and they only offer 180 still. I have to assume it must be because of not getting a 4-star minister? I don't know the random seed method... but how would the justice minister have anything to do with this? :/

2. In turn 1, "Defend your cities", you mention that there are 6 militia and 6 more to be built. I actually had to build 8 militia to cover all the cities without any militia. Of course, 2 militia start in paris, so I could just move one of them. That still makes 7 instead of 6 :/ You did say to move the one militia to the port to protect it after all Is that the missing one?

Since this affair is entirely confusing, even for someone who finished the british campaign, in this one case, I think specific instructions to moving and/or building the miltia is required, unlike the roads (this works fine).

3. Because of the extra militia and not making enough money off one of my diplomatic transactions, I couldn't afford the recommended Sloop. If I take the militia from 8 to 7, I have enough to get the sloop at Brest, but not at the other location. So I can move on with the guide, I'm going to forget building the militia at corsica. My guess is that this is going to be okay. Hope I'm right!

4. The gentleman didn't show up for me on turn 4, which set back my research by 1 turn.

(2nd Thread)

Oh, I finally figured out that random seed thing, so I got my ministers to the right levels and I am now making 2,076 a turn. I got so many with no traits and the same face that I thought it wasn't working. I had no idea I had to do this like 10+ times to get a good one

Anyway, I'm going to make another attempt at this, just to be sure that these are actual problems in your guide. After going through your guide again though, I noticed another mistake.

5. "For some extra cash that you will need this turn, offer the Kingdom of Sardinia the technologies of Conscription & Fire and Advance for 1,000."

Clearly this is Kingdom of Sicily, correct? Sardinia doesn't exist as a diplomatic choice. There are Kingdoms of Naples, Italy and Sicily only. You can make the suggested trade with Sicily and it will still work.

6. EDIT: I am positive that portugal will only give 180 for this trade. I muddled with the numbers and did 2 counter offers in a row, and eventually got 190 from them. Unfortunately, this makes the 2nd Sloop impossible to get. The militia at Corsica must be sacrificed until 2 turns. There's no other way. Weirdly, My projected income for turn 3 is actually much greater than yours. This happened both times I played up to this point, which enables getting that militia on corsica.

7. I am on turn 10 now and I have about 2000 more money than you did with the exact same moves, in addition, I got an extra iron mine, so I was actually 2800 up. I'm not sure how this happened. I am doing exactly what you're saying.

8. Unfortunately, Casablanca trading post was not abandoned, so I had to just supply my existing ones. I don't think it matters as I am ahead in the money game anyway, so the few gold lost from Casablanca compared to another one is probably irrelevant anyway.

9. Turn 18 presents a really big obstacle. After recruiting the new general, it cannot move very far to attack Baden-Württemberg. I also want to point out that the Austrians never took it over. In fact, they never got Bavaria either. So going to war with this nation is going to hurt the trade income with the swiss, and have all kinds of bad consequences for me. This is obviously not how the game was supposed to play out.

10. There wasn't enough space to recruit the new general in Strasbourg on turn 18, as that other 3-star general was still there (Murat). I'm guessing I didn't make any mistakes in my moves, so perhaps telling the player what to do with him would be good

11. At turn 25, there's still 5 Fusiliers and 2 Chavels sitting in Marseille. Was that supposed to happen, or were they supposed to go the asti mines and/or Torino?
    Hi Egervari, thanks for jumping on this so quickly after the last job you did on the British guide. +Rep once again for your efforts

Now let's see if I can answer some of the questions/issues you raised and/or if I need to correct any actual "errors"...

1. That's a tricky question to answer, but I'd ask in return, did you offer them the technology Fire and Advance, as instructed by the guide, as part of the Trade deal? If you did, and their only counter-offer is STILL just 180, then I'm "stumped" and would have to chalk that up to something in the game-mechanics that I'm unaware of -- could be related to the random-seed issue or something completely different.

2. The guide's correct, you only need to build 6 more, since you start with 6 and only have 12 initial regions to cover. The one guarding the port is only "temporarily" away from the region capital, guarding the port, but the game's CAI will still register it as defending the region, so you're "safe". As far as editing the guide to "detail" this, I'll try to update it when I can, but the French guide (unlike the British guide) was not written with as much detail to begin with, and it assumes more from the user (like moving the extra militia unit, for example). In any case, these notes should help anyone in the meantime.

3. Yeah, once you invested in that 13th militia unit AND failed to get $500 from Portugal for the tech and Trade Agreement, you've created a gap of finances between the guide's version and your own. Also, you've re-set the random-seed to a different value in your game because of these changes, so "chance" occurrences, like generating Gentlemen, Spies, etc, will not be predictable per the guide.

4. see above

Yes, random-seed is a pain-in-the-butt sometimes. I recently played an Austrian campaign where I decided to replace ALL five ministers... it was the longest and most boring exercise I have ever been through, since it took an average of rotating EACH minister at least 15+ times in order for their replacement to get an extra star (with a trait that didn't also cause a negative influence on the populace). But it was worth it right away, financially speaking, not to mention it helps when you conquer new regions, as well as boosting your diplomatic influence. Some people might consider this method a form of "cheating", but when I spend over an hour using an IN-GAME feature to simply gain a good candidate as a minister, I look at it as going through an exhaustive "interview process" to get the best-man-for-the-job

5. No, Sardinia is a nation -- they're located on the island right below Corsica -- and available as a diplomatic choice. If you don't have them listed, then something is definitely wrong with your game version...

6. I don't know how to answer this one (other than what I answered in #3), as you're clearly doing something different than what I did at some point in the early turns -- that, or I took some poor notes on my first moves. I'll have to try a play-through myself to confirm this at some point...

7. see #6

8. Correct, you shouldn't put TOO much of an emphasis on being in lock-step with the guide, at least concerning how much your Treasury has. The only time(s) this becomes an issue is when you have dramatically LESS THAN what the guide has and it's instructing you to build/recruit this-or-that (but you can't)...

9. Again, random-seed probably has a role here. The Austrians should've captured Bavaria long ago and then a variety of factors can play out, but usually a war-of-attrition starts between Austria and Baden-Württemberg over Bavaria, and the region may change hands a number of times, until Austria finally wins it. If they don't, then you as the French should instigate a war with Baden-Württemberg (and then Bavaria) at this point... instigating wars is easy -- just open diplomacy with the nation, select something you want from them (but make no offers from you), then click the "dagger" icon on the bottom-left to threaten the nation if they refuse to give in to your demand(s). This will dramatically increase their negative-feelings towards you -- repeat until they are at -100 or more with you and then they should declare war on their next turn. This move avoids getting into war with Switzerland, as they should decline to join the agressor (and might even join you as the defender).

10. Details, details... yes, move the existing general "out of the way" to free a unit slot to recruit the new general...

11. Not sure what you did-or-didn't-do at some point, but no... they should be with either General Ney or General Masséna in Piedmont-Liguria -- see the pictures on Page 29 of the two respective armies, to see which one is "short".

Ahh, well I think mentioning specifically that the militia defending the port counts as one defended the region would be a fantastic addition, not to mention the opportunity to teach a game mechanic. Seriously, this is really good to know. Now if I want to garrison another building in the same region, I don't need to pay 2 upkeep costs. This is really great.

As for the trade with portugal... yes, this trade also included the technology. The best I got was 190. Of course, I didn't buy that 7th militia, so I was still short purely because of this trade. It would suck if this had something to do with the random seed, because that would mean that the order the guide was written in was different than how you played it out

As for Sicilly, I saw it on the actual map, I just didn't see it on the minor nations list, or the major nations list. Maybe I was tired :/ I know I looked for it both times I started a new game and didn't find it. I remember thinking, "Why is he having me do this trade with someone I am at war with?"

Nonetheless, everything worked out okay. I eventually went on to win! It's not really hard to win these games when your initial strategy puts the player in such an incredible and dominant position

Some of your ideas in the guide are pretty novel, and I don't think I would ever have figured them out.

1. Like moving individual units to raid and blockade as many ports as possible. I would have thought that the game AI would hunt them down ASAP seeing as they are just sloops or little 32 gun ships. But no, in your England guide, nobody touched them. Knowing the AI isn't super aggressive on the waters lets you get away with a lot of stuff that you really shouldn't get away with. Of course, being new at the game, I probably wouldn't have tried it at all.

2. The "London Express" was really cool. Again, probably wouldn't have thought of it.

3. Constantly raiding the ports at England causes them to be bankrupt. This one was killer. It was so funny to basically see them knocked out of the game so easily. You are right, this is bug in the game as this shouldn't happen

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by egervari View Post
    Ahh, well I think mentioning specifically that the militia defending the port counts as one defended the region would be a fantastic addition, not to mention the opportunity to teach a game mechanic. Seriously, this is really good to know. Now if I want to garrison another building in the same region, I don't need to pay 2 upkeep costs. This is really great.

As for the trade with portugal... yes, this trade also included the technology. The best I got was 190. Of course, I didn't buy that 7th militia, so I was still short purely because of this trade. It would suck if this had something to do with the random seed, because that would mean that the order the guide was written in was different than how you played it out

As for Sicilly, I saw it on the actual map, I just didn't see it on the minor nations list, or the major nations list. Maybe I was tired :/ I know I looked for it both times I started a new game and didn't find it. I remember thinking, "Why is he having me do this trade with someone I am at war with?"

Nonetheless, everything worked out okay. I eventually went on to win! It's not really hard to win these games when your initial strategy puts the player in such an incredible and dominant position

Some of your ideas in the guide are pretty novel, and I don't think I would ever have figured them out.

1. Like moving individual units to raid and blockade as many ports as possible. I would have thought that the game AI would hunt them down ASAP seeing as they are just sloops or little 32 gun ships. But no, in your England guide, nobody touched them. Knowing the AI isn't super aggressive on the waters lets you get away with a lot of stuff that you really shouldn't get away with. Of course, being new at the game, I probably wouldn't have tried it at all.

2. The "London Express" was really cool. Again, probably wouldn't have thought of it.

3. Constantly raiding the ports at England causes them to be bankrupt. This one was killer. It was so funny to basically see them knocked out of the game so easily. You are right, this is bug in the game as this shouldn't happen

Thanks again for all of your input!

Yup, I'll make some of the edits you brought up as soon as I have the time -- it seems it's just too easy to take for granted that very-new-players will figure out some of the stuff you mentioned, so I'll have to pay closer attention on the next guide. I probably should also put a statement at the beginning, something like, "...don't fret over missing a move here-and-there; the main thing is to follow the general strategies laid out..'' And that Portugal-thing is really bugging me, so I'll probably do a play-through myself to see what happens...

Congrats on the win, though! That's no small victory, to be as new as you are and win the GC playing as France... huzzah!

Per your last comments...
    1. Naval CAI is one of the most "bugged" things in the game, IMHO. If you're not playing as the British, for example, and you didn't know their history, you'd probably be amazed (and shocked) to learn that the Royal Navy was such a feared/respected force during this time. The way they're programmed in the game, they seem like a bunch of keystone-cops, bungling one move after another, and letting the inferior French navy run rough-shod over them time-and-again...

2. I'll take credit for the name, but the actual concept goes way back to Medieval Total War (the first version, which was the second release from CA after the original Shogun game). In that game, in order to transport troops by sea, you basically "sat" a ship or multiple ships on a geographical patch of the ocean (i.e. the oceans and seas were divided up in the game into "zones", which each had their own boundaries). If you controlled all the sea "zones" that bordered each other between England and Italy, for example, you could move an army from England to Italy in one turn. If the enemy broke the "link" by capturing one of the sea-zones, the transporting wouldn't work until you regained control of the sea-zone.

3. HUGE bug, goes along with the Naval CAI note I mentioned in #1. Someone that knows how should really fix this with a mod -- the Royal Navy needs to be re-programmed to hunt down enemy ships FIRST, and only after their eliminated should it be allowed to work on raiding/blockading.

almg's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks for this very good work feanor68 and Luckylewis

almg

Last edited by almg; January 21, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

Hey I was just wondering...does using HUGE scale instead of LARGE mess everything up?

I've been following the advices of A Team's Guide in my campaign. I found it very useful, so I would like to thank You a lot for your massive work. Yet when I've been playing, I've decided but did some things my way and it has lead me to some doubts about Your strategy:

1. Why do you put so much pressure on developing the roads? I agree that the first level is crucial for trade and movement. But cobble roads? They give only 4 gold/turn in wealth which gives about 1.33 gold/turn in tax. Even adding the 50 gold fixed wealth bonus the investment will not return until the point in the game when you will no longer have to worry about finances due to a number of gained regions. And the replenishment bonus is even less effective than with the Supply Post. In my opinion developing roads above level 1 is a waste of money. So what am I missing?

You also point that even following turtle strategy it is often wise to use opportunities when they appear. In my opinion the guide misses two of them:

1. Massena's army - it is there for a reason. Venice and Tirol can be a pain in the arse when you decide to rush on Vienna, so why not dispose of them early? Massena is able to capture Venice on turn 1 - it takes two hard battles with the army on the bridge and Venetian garrison, but his forces should be enough to win, though auto-resolve may not be an option. Making Venice a protectorate not only allows to trade with them (that alone gives the income you would get from taxes) and get two extra fusiliers, but most importantly Austria will be in good relations with the protectorate and won't attack it. This way they will no longer pose a threat in Italy. Secondly Massena's army will be stronger thanks to those fusiliers and when they will merge with the two units from Torino, they will easily capture Tirol in turn 3. This way you will no longer have to worry about a flank attack from that direction and will be in a perfect position to counterrattack the Austrian/Russian forces moving on Bayern. Once Austrians conquer Bayern, Massena will capture it from their weakened army, allowing you to pass on developing an army in Strasbourg early on and giving a starting point for the invasion on Vienna.

2. So what should we do with the armies if we don't have to gather them in Strasbourg? Having exchanged Hannover for Cleves and turning Venice into a protectorate France is generally safe from the east with buffor states on the full extent of Austrian front. My advice is to leave Bernadotte's army on the bridge in east corner of Cleves checking the Prussians and use Davout and Murat as garrisons in Strasbourg and Reims instead of militia (saving some expenses). Except for that you may leave eastern border unprotected for now - buffor countries and Massena operating from Tirol should be well enough to keep the Austro-Russian danger out of sight. The rest of the armies with Bonaparte and Ney should move to Le Havre for the purpose of invading Britain.

Why?

The earlier you attack the Isles the easier it is. Bankrupting Britain would still be able to land in Bretagne/Normandy forcing the player to have one army wasted as a counterforce in France. Conquering the Isles not only frees that army from duties allowing to use it in the east, but also removes sooner or later the Nelson threat without having to battle him. Gibraltar - the remaining British region is so poor that his fleet will finally deteriorate. And with the seas wide open you get access to northwestern trading posts for some additional trade income. You also get a second research post in Oxford early in the game - earlier than in Badenia. And taxes - England is very wealthy, but also very unsettle. It may take a lot of militia to keep London quiet, but recruiting them will return in just a few rounds once you start to collect taxes.

How to do it?

Move all your spare units to Le Havre nad build some veteran fusiliers in Paris - about an 8 should do. Your goal is to invade England with 20-unit Bonaparte army and ca. 8-unit Ney army as soon as you build a sloop in Le Havre. That's right - England, not Ireland. If you decide to blitzkrieg the Isles early, you have to go all the way for it. The distance to Portsmouth is so small that the sloop is able to transfer both armies to the British shore in one turn. Keep both armies close (Napoleon in Portsmouth and Ney somewhat west, but with Pompey within his zone of control) as they won't move until the next round and will be attacked by Wellington. A tough battle, but with 28 units doable and auto-resolveable - just watch out for the losses. Once you defeat him London is for the Bonaparte's taking, while Ney may easily capture Wales. On turn 5 the British are on their knees and all you need to do is recruit militia to keep London quiet and slowly but surely finish your job by grabbing Scotland (once Bonaparte's army gets released by the recruited London militia) and Ireland (use Ney and the sloop from Brest).

As a result of these moves, you may hamper a bit the French infrastructure (you have to develop an army a bit quicker and repair British infrastructure), but in the end you get a lot more tax and trade money. Especially when England stops from rioting. You also don't have to destroy the Antwerp port and brake trade agreements - the turmoil will be short. And if you skip on developing roads, you finish the first year a lot and I mean a lot richer than in the guide making the Austro-Prussian campaign even easier.

Finally I also tend to leave Corsica on its own - it is poor, safe from attacks if you raid the Sicilian and Neapolitan ports and generally not worth the money invested even for basic roads. I bought a militia unit and that was all my concern about this region.

As you can see my strategy is somewhat aggresive, but I see it rather as a middle, "opportunistic" way. I would appreciate your views on my suggestions, perhaps I am missing something and this strategy has some flaws I'm not aware of.
    Last edited by Smoku; January 11, 2011 at 03:30 AM.

Hi

I have a problem with your guide Page 12 Trading

After made the deal with the Prussians - i can not create a Trade Agreement with Oldenburg (Trade Agreement by land ) the way you say

Any hint's ?

Thank's for help

Stefan

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Putasokinhet View Post
    Hey I was just wondering...does using HUGE scale instead of LARGE mess everything up?
    Couldn't say...

The only "obvious" issues are the references to cost/treasury in the guide -- these will be worthless.

Beyond that, I wouldn't think so, using the guide as just that... a guide (rather than a "religious" or other some-such doctrine that must be followed-to-the-letter)

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Caireless View Post
    Hi

I have a problem with your guide Page 12 Trading

After made the deal with the Prussians - i can not create a Trade Agreement with Oldenburg (Trade Agreement by land ) the way you say

Any hint's ?

Thank's for help

Stefan
    The offer's not available? Or they won't accept?

hi this one amazing ....... thnax ......

Amazing guide, and i'm following it loosely. However I seem to have some problems with Austria/Russia.
    I have an army near Paris standing by for England, I have an army near the border at Prussia which I'm already at war with, though they havent attacked yet. But that leaves me about a 1.5 stack left for the eastern front which faces both austria and russia which have both 2 stacks each. I got an army marching at Vienna, where they have 1.5 stack, and I can win that battle, but at the same time they have combined a counterattack of 2 stacks to Innsbruck, which I only have 5 units. So i'm got owned there, Now I have 2 enemy stacks in the 'middle' of my empire, and I don't have any spare troops cause Vienna is already riotting like hell. Help

Ha ha good call!!
    Last edited by chillipixel; June 24, 2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: mistake

Laetus

very helpful

Laetus

don't need to cancel trade agreements with Denmark, Meclenburg and Portugal, if you destroy your port, they will be automatically relocated. on the map, there should be a lesser Prussian state in the middle of East Prussia and Pommarania. I believe it was West Prussia.

nevertheless, very useful starting tips, what to spend money on
    Last edited by Ishan; January 12, 2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Double Post

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Ho do I unlock to play France ? Do I have to complete the Egyptian campaign first ? I'm currently playing the Italian campaign after finishing my first coalition campaign as Prussia.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Is it possible to re-upload this guide pls ???