Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't trolls have swords?

Senator

Default Why don't trolls have swords?

Curious actually. Is there some reason as to why they don't? as to my understanding in the mod, battle trolls that mordor wield large clubs, however these clubs are smaller than the ones used in the movie. And in the movies too they had long orc swords designed for troll use. And while we are at at how about up in the north of middle earth the forces of evil can recruit trolls who wield tree's as weapons? ofc evil factions can't recruit them untill turn 100 or somthing, But still. This mod needs more troll love.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Default Re: Why don't trolls have swords?

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    why that D'oh smiley? i thinks it's a fair question?

Well, another troll unit just with a different weapon is unecessary and wouldn`t add anything.

We already have five kinds of trolls; Cave Trolls, Hill Trolls, Snow Trolls, Olog-Hai and Troll catapults. That`s enough troll love.

Sure, you could arm a troll unit with 50% swords and 50% clubs but that would be a rather unimportant change. Also it looks more believeable if units are thrown away by clubs and not by swords.

A unit of troll shemales swinging pink boas

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Well, another troll unit just with a different weapon is unecessary and wouldn`t add anything.

We already have five kinds of trolls; Cave Trolls, Hill Trolls, Snow Trolls, Olog-Hai and Troll catapults. That`s enough troll love.

Sure, you could arm a troll unit with 50% swords and 50% clubs but that would be a rather unimportant change. Also it looks more believeable if units are thrown away by clubs and not by swords.
    No a sword is a common weapon in war. And it's normal that Mordor would equip such a deadly and huge weapon on its giant trolls. All im kinda asking for is a Sword model for Battle trolls. And the Club making slightly larger on the end. Beacause it looks right now a stick with spikes on.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

Naive question (hence the "Doh" )

Trolls are just too stupid to wield anything other than a basic crushing weapon.
    + They're not into fencing, even medieval style.

Only Olog-Haď Trolls of Mordor could use some sort of sword, and they do, but that's more like a giant cleaver.
    Their equipment is made by Orcs in Mordor forges but by themselves Trolls are just primitive dumb creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pacha View Post
    Naive question (hence the "Doh" )

Trolls are just too stupid to wield anything other than a basic crushing weapon.

Only Olog-Haď Trolls of Mordor could use some sort of sword, and they do, but that's more like a giant cleaver.
    Their equipment is made by Orcs in Mordor forges but by themselves Trolls are just primitive dumb creatures.
    Er... I don't belive this, not all trolls are so stupid and incapable to do anything.
    They are not cleaver, maybe not brilliant, and sure they are vicious, but not like an animal.

They are capable of speaking, make simple tools and cloaths, complete simple tasks and so on, they are more smart of an ape, but of course less than an human.

In the Hobbit, they use simple tools and swords (just as knife), the live in a cave with a secret door an so on.

Holog are more intelligent, I think Mordor can use these wicked creatures to do tasks like sentinels or trained warriors.

Just IMHO (but according to lore I suppose).

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Narhijan View Post
    Er... I don't belive this, not all trolls are so stupid and incapable to do anything.
    They are not cleaver, maybe not brilliant, and sure they are vicious, but not like an animal.

They are capable of speaking, make simple tools and cloaths, complete simple tasks and so on, they are more smart of an ape, but of course less than an human.

In the Hobbit, they use simple tools and swords (just as knife), the live in a cave with a secret door an so on.

Holog are more intelligent, I think Mordor can use these wicked creatures to do tasks like sentinels or trained warriors.

Just IMHO (but according to lore I suppose).
    So let's agree we disagree

1-In any books Trolls are extremely stupid. Yes they can talk in The Hobbit but come on... they live in caves! All the metal stuff they have is stolen, from spoils. They can't forge any. As I said the Olog are equipped by Mordor so that's different & they do have cleavers.
    2-Trolls with swords is as relevant as Elves with warhammers. Just doesn't fit.

Now, of course, this is all fantasy so you can create your own. Please don't make them wear a ballerina outfit

Don't slight medieval fencing - it was an art, not brute brandishing!

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Kamakai's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Grímbóld' View Post
    why that D'oh smiley? i thinks it's a fair question?
    He wasn't being mean, he was just hitting himself because he's stupid.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakai View Post
    He wasn't being mean, he was just hitting himself because he's stupid.

Knox213's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Starwen View Post
    No a sword is a common weapon in war. And it's normal that Mordor would equip such a deadly and huge weapon on its giant trolls. All im kinda asking for is a Sword model for Battle trolls. And the Club making slightly larger on the end. Beacause it looks right now a stick with spikes on.
    A Common weapon in war was actually a Spear o_O

In LOTR Most trolls used Clubs.

Wolfcp11's Avatar Senator

2-Trolls with swords is as relevant as Elves with warhammers. Just doesn't fit
    Don't we have those now? Smiths of Eregion?
    "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Oscar Wilde

KngGilgamesh's Avatar Semisalis

Trolls will look great with giant two [Troll] handed swords. Too bad they will cut themselves.
    BfME2RotWK had a Snow Troll Hero(villain) who wielded a sword.

kaiser1993's Avatar Senator

I agree with Starwen, dual sworld trolls would be a great addition to the mod. The Evil factions need some variety.

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Quote Originally Posted by Knox213 View Post
    A Common weapon in war was actually a Spear o_O

In LOTR Most trolls used Clubs.
    In Lord of the Rings:The third age (-not that Third age the RPG one.) most of the mordor trolls have swords.
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Kurry's Avatar Civis

I agree with Starwen, dual sworld trolls would be a great addition to the mod. The Evil factions need some variety.
    says a guy who has gandalf in his sig wielding a gun (just kidding)

Baywatch's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by KngGilgamesh View Post
    BfME2RotWK had a Snow Troll Hero(villain) who wielded a sword.
    Anytime you bring BFME2 into a discussion concerning whether or not something should be part of the mod, stop take a deep breath and hold down the backspace button before posting your comment. It's really hard to picture a troll using a sword, a blunt weapon or cleaver is much more believable. A sword is just a bit too graceful for a troll IMO.

Clearly has his priorities straight.

Sword require some agility, or as stated some "graciousness" wich clearly trolls do no posess

Before you say "but they are big bad swords!", THEY ARE PROPORTIONAL (sp?) to the troll, meaning its the same as a man wielding a sword, same difficulties...

a large weapon that only needs to me swinged on any side of the troll, sounds much more threating than a troll who will chop himself to pieces before sent into battle, i bet they would make a fine show, give them non edged swords and watch them hurt themselves with it XD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast