Thread: Khatmars review of the Fellowship Campaign

Default Khatmars review of the Fellowship Campaign

My review of The Fellowship Campaign

Ok, first of all I gotta say that I was skeptical like hell about this thing. I couldn't imagine that something RPG - like would be possible in Total War. And I was wrong!

The game ran smoothly, without any conflicts and was all well.

However there were some hard times. Like the first battle with the Nazgul. I had to replay it for five tomes when I discovered that I could rather travel near Amon Sul and the garrison there could help me. Puff! The first problem solved.

Balrog was a piece of cake! No problems here. However, I noticed something really wierd. Balrog had some traits, which were...well... funny

When the first volume ends in Amon Hen/Rauros falls, it was rather confusing to know where I should go and what to do. Only then I realised that (according to the movie/book lore) I should pursue Merry and Pip and continue with Frodo to the Black Gate.

Helms Deep was a rather disappointment . I was expecting some difficult thingy, but the whole thing was really easy. Perhaps an improvement in difficulty?

Otherwise everything was bugless. All the side missions were wonderful and entertaining. Aragorn side quests were rather a bit easy too, but no harm done. I had trouble though with sieging Dol Guldur. I had too many archers and too few infantry core dudes. But I managed.

And it was impossible to ambush Haradrim in Ithilien and after many turns waylaiyng their army I failed the quest because I didn't pay attention to the time restriction.

And finally came the Battle of the Black Gate! It was a freakin delight!! The whole map... the armies... everything! It was beautiful!!

all the armies

elfs and men

kicking mordorian ass

and Ents doing what they do best

now, about the little unpleasantness... my main problem with the game was the huge amount of lag. It is not about my CPU, because if I can run games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, LOTRO and Assassins Creed 2 on full graphics, why the heck should be this a problem?
    Anyway, anytime there was a big battle (like Minas Tirith, Gate, etc) I had to turn off the option in the config file about unlimited men on the field, because if they rushed me all at once, it was unplayable. So I finnished them off wave by wave as the came.

But all and all, it was a great time and I am happy that I was wrong with my first impressions! Thank you guys for such an astounding gameplay!
    Last edited by khatmar; July 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM.

Default Re: Khatmars review of the Fellowship Campaign

Nice review with constructive criticism, I like.

There's a "Manage Attachments" button in the Additional Options below the posting window, you can upload pics there.

Amon Amarth 930's Avatar Artifex

(btw, how can I upload pics here??)
    You could also use:
    http://www.abload.de/

And nice preview!
    The Fellowship-Campaign was the first thing that i have worked on and which was released, and its really nice to read what other people think about that and how they handle with the missions and quests and such stuff.
    Helms Deep was a rather disappointment . I was expecting some difficult thingy, but the whole thing was really easy. Perhaps an improvement in difficulty?
    Strange... Helms Deep was with Thranduils Halls and Ithilien one of the hardest battle for me, everytime my Victory was very close, not rarely i loose this battle sometimes.

And it was impossible to ambush Haradrim in Ithilien and after many turns waylaiyng their army I failed the quest because I didn't pay attention to the time restriction.
    Its not required for this mission to ambush the army, you can simply attack them the normal way. I think this is also more easy then to defeat them.

Third Age Member (Fellowship-Scripter)
    Under the Patronage of MasterBigAb

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth 930 View Post
    Strange... Helms Deep was with Thranduils Halls and Ithilien one of the hardest battle for me, everytime my Victory was very close, not rarely i loose this battle sometimes.
    Well I just charged them all with the cavalry and they were all routing in a few minutes.

Its not required for this mission to ambush the army, you can simply attack them the normal way. I think this is also more easy then to defeat them.
    Right, I know it is not required but it would be lovely if such a thing (with so many archers!) would work .

I forgot to say that my suggestion is (yes, I noticed that there are other threads here) to complete the whole campaign with cleansing of the Shire. The player would lose the command of all the units, except the hobbits, and would travel back to Eriador and had to do the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    I forgot to say that my suggestion is (yes, I noticed that there are other threads here) to complete the whole campaign with cleansing of the Shire. The player would lose the command of all the units, except the hobbits, and would travel back to Eriador and had to do the stuff.
    Well, we have think about that, but we have decided that the coronation of Aragorn is a better ending and the last big battle at the Black Gate is much more intensive in the opposite to defeat some bad hobbits.

Also the way back could be a little bit boring, so i think the ending now is more adapted as a good ending for such a campaign.

Well, we have think about that, but we have decided that the coronation of Aragorn is a better ending and the last big battle at the Black Gate is much more intensive in the opposite to defeat some bad hobbits.

Also the way back could be a little bit boring, so i think the ending now is more adapted as a good ending for such a campaign.
    Actually you are right. I see the point. But, after Aragorns coronation you get the option to continue playing, what if someone wants to "continue" the story and recreate the final events of the last book? You could still leave the original ending there. In the book itself it was just something that happened afterwards the great story.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

my main problem with the game was the huge amount of lag. It is not about my CPU, because if I can run games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, LOTRO and Assassins Creed 2 on full graphics, why the heck should be this a problem?
    The game is old and doesn't support multiple cores.

Nirnaeth Arnoediad's Avatar Vive l'Empereur !

It's rather due to numberous "monitor_conditions" scripts. Very very laggy. Maybe the future version of the fellowship script will be cleaned of the maximum of monitor_conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirnaeth Arnoediad View Post
    It's rather due to numberous "monitor_conditions" scripts. Very very laggy. Maybe the future version of the fellowship script will be cleaned of the maximum of monitor_conditions.
    I only count 2 monitor_conditions, so it can not be the reason.

TheGeat's Avatar Miles

How do i play the fellowship campaign? When i enter the fellowship campaign in the game start menu it seem like i'm just playing gondor campaign. Do i have to find the ring to trigger this quest?

Wolfsblut's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeat View Post
    How do i play the fellowship campaign? When i enter the fellowship campaign in the game start menu it seem like i'm just playing gondor campaign. Do i have to find the ring to trigger this quest?
    I was wondering too the first time...
    just CLICK at the fellowship campaign and THEN start it...
    and dont tell anybody that i was so silly too
    May the earth be light upon you, lest the dogs can dig you out more easy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeat View Post
    You must click on the second screen on "Fellowship-Campaign" and then on Start.
    Not only on Start, then you get to the normal Campaign-Screen.

Edit: Ahh, to slow ^^

TheGeat's Avatar Miles

You must click on the second screen on "Fellowship-Campaign" and then on Start.
    Not only on Start, then you get to the normal Campaign-Screen.

Edit: Ahh, to slow ^^
    Thanks mate, gonna try it now