Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | Models

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Great War | Models

He means our trench model, not the ingame one we have at the moment. *facepalm*

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EDIT: oh, sorry I was confused by the wording (retexture)
    Last edited by King Sama; August 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Tbh, I think the boards at the bottom of the trench should be replaced with just mud or dirt.
    New website for AtC (Advance to Combat, formerly known as Nations at War) Check it out here! We average 155 unique hits a day! AtC is a mod for Empire Total War focusing on implementing modern-day units into custom battles.

I am andand! Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by Icey Fresh Werewolf View Post
    Tbh, I think the boards at the bottom of the trench should be replaced with just mud or dirt.
    Why?
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    Why?
    Well, it would definately make the trenches seem much dirtier and not seem "well constructed" if you get my meaning. Also in the videos I've seen I don't think there were boards on the ground in the trenches?
    New website for AtC (Advance to Combat, formerly known as Nations at War) Check it out here! We average 155 unique hits a day! AtC is a mod for Empire Total War focusing on implementing modern-day units into custom battles.

I am andand! Woo!

Well, it would definately make the trenches seem much dirtier and not seem "well constructed" if you get my meaning. Also in the videos I've seen I don't think there were boards on the ground in the trenches?
    As mitch said though, they aren't even textured yet, I'm sure that a dirty effect will be applied before they are imported.

In terms of construction, trenches generally were fairly well constructed although more so on the German side. The reason the British and French (?) trenches often are depicted as not looking very good is because, along the western front, the Germans built their trenches along the higher ground leaving the allies to have the lower ground, meaning that the water table was much nearer.

Soldiers spent a large portion of their time actually fixing and improving trench networks and, although they would have started off with no wooden supports as it was literally just foxholes connecting over time, they very quickly became much more permanent looking. So yes, they did have boards on the ground in the trenches as soon as they realised that they would be staying in them for more than a few days.

I did send some pictures to mitch a while ago about some trench reconstructions I visited in Belgium, not sure if he'll post them for us to see, but they had corregated iron along the sides, and wooden planks along the ground

Edit - You may not have been able to see the wooden flooring in most WW1 footage as they are all generally in black and white making them harder to distinguish between the soil surrounds, and also the fact that there would have been mud and dirt covering much of them during winter and when it rained.
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Well from the diagrams and pictures ive seen of WWI trenches have not got boards on the bottom.

But other sources such as "The floor of the trench was usually covered by wooden duckboards." source

i think it is because the trenches would originally have boards but as time went on and during a battle mud would be on top of the boards. i see no reason why s trench with boards and a trench without could be made.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyofengland View Post
    i see no reason why s trench with boards and a trench without could be made.
    It was just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    As mitch said though, they aren't even textured yet, I'm sure that a dirty effect will be applied before they are imported.

In terms of construction, trenches generally were fairly well constructed although more so on the German side. The reason the British and French (?) trenches often are depicted as not looking very good is because, along the western front, the Germans built their trenches along the higher ground leaving the allies to have the lower ground, meaning that the water table was much nearer.

Soldiers spent a large portion of their time actually fixing and improving trench networks and, although they would have started off with no wooden supports as it was literally just foxholes connecting over time, they very quickly became much more permanent looking. So yes, they did have boards on the ground in the trenches as soon as they realised that they would be staying in them for more than a few days.

I did send some pictures to mitch a while ago about some trench reconstructions I visited in Belgium, not sure if he'll post them for us to see, but they had corregated iron along the sides, and wooden planks along the ground

Edit - You may not have been able to see the wooden flooring in most WW1 footage as they are all generally in black and white making them harder to distinguish between the soil surrounds, and also the fact that there would have been mud and dirt covering much of them during winter and when it rained.
    Yes yes yes I know it's not textured yet. But you could still see the boards and stuff easily.

Anyways I get what you are saying, and I'm OK with the boards now. Btw, you think putting small puddles at the bottom of a trench would be possible? I know that under the ground in N:TW there is a huge ocean.

I am andand! Woo!

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

I know that under the ground in N:TW there is a huge ocean.
    That's unsettling

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

GoodSmurfin's Avatar Semisalis

How is implementing the models going for you guys?

Wow I'm honestly astounded. These models look amazing, you guys are doing a great job, make sure to keep this mod going! Again, great job.

Praepositus

Man, amazing work BDIZZLE? Sorry haven't been keeping up lately but 'till when do you think we'll see them in-game?

Awesome models!! Great Idea!! cant wait for the next version now any rough idea when it will be out?

PAiMONiA's Avatar Civis
    Everywhere...Everytime, Realm of Immortals

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ULTIMATE MOD !!!!!! downloading right now can't wait to play this mod.....Big Effin props to Mitch and his team damn good job guys !!!

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

hehe remember, these arent in.. YET

yeah, don't get ahead of yourselves. The next major release (aka. 5.0) will probably include some of these new models, but that it will still be a good while until that.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

My current project, getting an arty model ready to go in game

French 75mm...

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Can't wait to be able to see these ingame, good luck, and have some rep on me

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Good luck man!
    You know that this is already possible!

--------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Good luck man!
    You know that this is already possible!

Yes

BDIZZLE is working on rigging the models right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10