Thread: Mass Effect 1 overhaul

Icon6 Mass Effect 1 overhaul

Iv just finished mass effect 2 now im wonderin if i should take on the first one but I need to know is it possible to take facial textures from mass effect 2 to replace some of the ones from the first ? and is it possible to do the same with animations ? I heard there were 200 animations in mass effect 2 compared to the first one only having 20 which sounds sort of stiff.. and how bad is the mirco manging ? +rep for anyone that can help cheers
    Last edited by Black Fox; July 21, 2010 at 08:56 AM.

Default Re: Mass Effect 1 overhaul

21 people and no1 knows.. ?

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

No, No, and not bad. Mass Effect, the whole series, is really an unmoddable game. So, I really doubt you could switch textures between the games, much less animations. However, I went back and played ME1 as well and still enjoyed the game play. The micromanging is about the same as ME2, if thats what your worried about so your ok there.

The only real problem, for me, is the poor loading times of the textures in ME1 especially after playing ME2, its almost unbearable the first few times you encounter it. Its still a very enjoyable game, and I hope you have fun

EDIT: No, only 20 don't know
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

haha ok thanks for that m8 and i asked about the textures because i saw a small mod that updates Garrus low res face in ME1 with the high def one in ME2 (before he gets blasted) i heard ME is moddable but only by artists while codders are bangin their heads in frustration

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Really? I didn't know they were able to transfer the textures, if thats true then you may have a chance with the faces. Whether or not you find a mod that changes all that is another story...
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../index/1077937 thats the link for the texture mod

COme on, ME1 is definately not ugly. I too like good graphics, but it's not the most important thing. I think if someone played one of the ME games and like it definately should play others. I cannot wait for ME3.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Fox View Post
    Iv just finished mass effect 2 now im wonderin if i should take on the first one but I need to know is it possible to take facial textures from mass effect 2 to replace some of the ones from the first ? and is it possible to do the same with animations ? I heard there were 200 animations in mass effect 2 compared to the first one only having 20 which sounds sort of stiff.. and how bad is the mirco manging ? +rep for anyone that can help cheers
    I got the first Mass Effect recently after getting ME2 months ago. I started a new character in ME, completed that and went straight into ME2. I then completed that and have now started a new character in the original ME, the graphics aren't as good as ME2, but they're certainly not bad, even going straight from the new one to the old one. It really shouldn't be a problem for you.

However, I'm playing on XBox, so I couldnt help on how to mod either game.

There is more inventory management in the original ME, rather than 4 assualt rifles there are closer to 40. The same applies to all weapons. And rather than ammo powers, you get ammo upgrades and weapon upgrades, which again add to the inventory management, but it's not big. Choose the best weapon and stick on an upgrade that applies and you'll be grand.

I'd also fully recommend getting the 1st ME, the story is far superior, and I think I enjoyed it more than the second, even if combat in the second is better. It's also fun to be able to play the one character through from ME to ME2 and see the differences your decisions in the first make to the second.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

There is a simple texture fix, for Garrus' face and reportedly for others as well:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/7738642/1

I'm going to give it a whirl.

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

There's a mod which makes Ashley's face texture available on ME1 and a few other characters I think.

TSD's Avatar Ordinarius

ME 1 is worth it for the back story alone if you have only played 2.

The combat is by far better in ME2. Some of the duck and cover elements exist in ME1, its definitely clunkier than ME2 and not actually necessary to survive. unlike ME2 where you pretty much have to take cover.

I really did like the "overheating" aspect of the weapons instead of the thermal clips.

I Liked having an inventory and being able to outfit your squad as well as yourself, but as mentioned it was a little out of hand when you have 10 versions of every armor weapon and upgrade and it can get really annoying to peruse your inventory. In ME2 they went a little to far in streamlining the Inventory/gear system and was too rigid and predictable in getting upgrades i.e. the hand cannon is always found in x location etc. Hopefully in ME3 they find a happy medium.

Planet exploration...both ME1 and ME2 screwed the pooch when it came to this. In Me2 there are less side missions, however, they are all unique and experienced in unique locations, then they ruined it with planet scanning. In ME1 the novelty of being able to land on all these planets and free roam them quickly loses its appeal when you realize they are all pretty much the same auto generated world with a different color scheme and you go to fight bad guy organization X, at the bad guy hideout that you will swear you have been to 1000 times before (because you have....on like every planet). Dont let that deter you from ME1 though, there are definitely some fun ones, and all of the main story arc missions/locations are of high quality and unique.

As far as powers and abilities and level, ME1 simply blows ME2 out of the water. ME2 is just too obvious and simple in this regard.

As far as quality of narrative ME1 is a little more "epic" but both deliver good entertainment storywise.

Those are really the main differences between the 2 from what I remember, I've played both of them through multiple times. But I would say if you pick up ME1 it wont be long before you are kicking yourself wondering why you didnt get it earlier.

TSD is quite right also You should play mass effect 1 first and then import the character fo mass effect 2. It is a diferent experience from playing with a standard Shepard.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 22, 2011 at 04:34 PM.

Hello,

I have been working on a TexMod that is becoming essentially an overhaul of ME1. Updated textures include: Light and Shadow Maps on walls and floors, Tali, Garrus, Wrex, Liara, Saren, Udina, the Council, Geth, Colonists, Scientists, Volus, Elcor and some Armor. I also replaced the film grain to make it like ME2 and actually usable. The textures are available for download here: http://social.bioware.com/project/5275/

I am still going working on it, and I am currently Re-Texturing: the keepers, the Normandy, and the Mako. I take suggestions and you can make them and find screen shots and details here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...5134/4#9032181

I had been looking for a mod like this for about 2 years and I never found it, so I started to make it a few months ago. ME1 is my favorite of the two because of the story, atmosphere, and nostalgio of being introduced the the ME universe. I wanted to fix the immersion breaking bad textures to give the game the completeness it deserves. I hope I'll be successful once the mod is complete and I hope this helps those of you displeased with the graphics in ME1. Enjoy

I hope the film grain visual effect comes back in ME3. I liked that about the first one, not sure why.

Blaze86420's Avatar Praepositus

Hey is there going to be a collector's edition for the PC?