Thread: I can't move my units!

Icon1 I can't move my units!

When I started my Roman Campaign on VH/M I besieged the settlement of Taras within two turns and during the siege, my cavalry had some problems. My Roman Citizen Cavalry, and my General's Bodyguard for some reason, just a few moments after they were done killing a Epirote phalanx, were stuck together. They couldn't move or anything, and the attack sign in their unit cards was still on. And even more bizarre was when I zoomed into them, and saw that they were attacking some troops in my army that were regrouping to an area next to the cavalry. And those troops even attacked back! I saw their animations and they were actually attacking each other until I kept clicking to the area where my troops needed to go, then they stopped. But my horsemen didn't; it was specifically my Roman Citizen Cavalry as I only saw one guy in the group doing the attack animation against... nothing, he was attacking thin air I guess. My bodyguard was just sitting ducks, or more like mentally retarded ducks. Due to this I lost a little bit more men to the Epirote's Tarantine cavalry than I should've. I have absolutely no idea if this is due to RTW's programming or EB's. But is it at least possible to fix this, like do I need to ungroup the whole army and just control them one by one, or just make them fight again so that they'll get unstuck? Please, help I just don't want this to happen to often in my siege battles.

CamilleBonparte's Avatar Senator

Default Re: I can't move my units!

RTW path-finding kind of sucks. Especially so in sieges. Not much you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleBonparte View Post
    RTW path-finding kind of sucks. Especially so in sieges. Not much you can do about it.
    ARGH. Dammit. I suppose its hard-coded into the game.

I had once half of my army celebrating the defeat of one enemy unit while the rest of the army butchered the 'normal' units...that sort of bugs are thankfully very rare.

XSamatan

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord's Heir View Post
    ARGH. Dammit. I suppose its hard-coded into the game.
    It's not coded into the game at all. The programmers don't code the game to glitch, those just show up rather because of a lack of coding, most of the time preventative coding. Stuff that takes into account sticky situations, and in this case, sticky is meant in the most literal sense. Consider fighting "dead" units. They shouldn't even show up, but a mouse-hover shows their status as "dead" and it may be an archaic remnant of old code that doesn't belong. Your cav could fight that dead unit all day unless the sticky horse is killed, thereby freeing your cav company.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Quote Originally Posted by mamik_yev_konak View Post
    It's not coded into the game at all. The programmers don't code the game to glitch, those just show up rather because of a lack of coding, most of the time preventative coding. Stuff that takes into account sticky situations, and in this case, sticky is meant in the most literal sense. Consider fighting "dead" units. They shouldn't even show up, but a mouse-hover shows their status as "dead" and it may be an archaic remnant of old code that doesn't belong. Your cav could fight that dead unit all day unless the sticky horse is killed, thereby freeing your cav company.
    No what I meant by hard-coded was that I thought the developers hard-coded the pathfinding into the game. Well anyway thnks for the info.

Just for your info, the developers never completely fixed all the bugs in seige battles. Some of those show up in open battles as well. I have seen units attacking thin air in groups. Thin air where a unit once stood. Thankfully, these bugs don't show up very often.
    Campaigns completed: 1 (RTW Vanilla Julii campaign!)

Mods played: S.P.Q.R., 300 Warlords of Sparta, EB, RTR-PE ExRM, Imperator II(Here), RS, Rome Medieval, X.G.M., IBFD VII, Stainless Steel v6.3 (M2TW), Deus Lo Vult(M2TW)
    Mods Currently Playing: TATW(M2TW), RSII, EB