Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronze Age: Total War (Preview & download)

Default Re: Bronze Age: Total War (Preview & download)

Is this available on megaupload or filefront?

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

none, it's their own link

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

im gonna download as soon as there is a campaign
    respect the melon!

YATS name:Aulus Claudius Ambustus
    Class: Patrician

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

ya we are all waiting for the campaign map, best wishes to the Bronze age team.
    guys keep on the good work

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

It's perfectly clear. But your view of history is incorrect. the Merneptah is dated at the end of the 1200s not 1000s.

Amenhotep II and the Historicity of the Exodus Pharaoh

b. The Case for Dating the Exodus to 1267 BC.
    Some prefer dating the exodus to 1267 BC, interpreting “480th” figuratively. Actually, “Dating the period of the oppression and exodus to the fifteenth century B.C. has largely been replaced in favor of a thirteenth-century date.”27 One reason for this surge is an alleged superior correspondence with the historical and archaeological record, since (1) the earliest extra-biblical attestation to Israel’s presence in Canaan is the Merneptah Stele of ca. 1219 BC, and (2) no evidence of the Israelites in Canaan from ca. 1400–1200 BC even exists. However, late-exodus proponents should remember that there is also an “invisibility of the Israelites in the archaeology of Canaan between ca. 1200 and 1000” BC,28 so the extension of their invisibility by two more centuries should create no additional burden. Moreover, Millard notes by analogy that the Amorites are absent from the archaeology of Babylonia, as only the texts attest to their presence, yet no scholar doubts their impact on Mesopotamia’s history in the early second millennium BC.29
    http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post...s-Pharaoh.aspx

The Merneptah Stele — also known as the Israel Stele or Victory Stele of Merneptah — is an inscription by the Ancient Egyptian king Merneptah (1213 to 1203 BC), which appears on the reverse side of a granite stele erected by the king Amenhotep III. It was discovered by Flinders Petrie in 1896 at Thebes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merneptah_Stele
    I suppose it's acceptable to not include the Hebrews. But if Hebrews are not included they should not be lumped with Arameans since they were clearly distinct.

I'll stop complaining since it won't do any good. I look forward to playing the full version when it comes out.
    Last edited by Prince of Judah; August 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM.

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

Very good beta. Any news on the campaign release?

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Can you upload somewhere else? Your site will let my download, but at about 15 % I get a message saying "internet explorer is not responding" and my com. shuts down internet explorer. Ditto with firefox.

Actually you are correct. I apologize for being argumentative. I picked up a few books on the subject and it seems that hebrews lived in the levant but were not significant until very late 1100s.

You were actually right the first time. I use the Bible and a few other sources as my evidence, and there is nothing to suggest that the Hebrews were anything like their pagan neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Agammemnon View Post
    You were actually right the first time. I use the Bible and a few other sources as my evidence, and there is nothing to suggest that the Hebrews were anything like their pagan neighbors.
    Yes I know but in terms of the Hebrews being a military power, they weren't very prominent till the late 1100s. So adding them as a playable faction would not be appropriate. I used to think that the Exodus date was around 1290, which seems more logical but after some research i have the tendency to think mid 1400s. there is a book that came out years ago called "Light from the Ancient Past" that you might find interesting Agamemnon. It is a little bit out dated but it is a good source book since it covers just about everything there is during the old testament era and it has tons of photographs of geography artifacts and what not. I don't think there is any affordable work as extensive. Unfortunately if you want conclusions about the exodus it isn't the book to use since it doesn't come out with one. I'll send you a PM of a documentary I uploaded to youtube on Biblical archeology. It's not very exciting but it's a good starter for the topic.

Oh, thanks. I am making my own mod about 1100 - 900 BC, and, since I couldn't find any proof about a time period, the Hebrew invasion will be included in that, as well as King David and the wars with the philistines. Check it out if you want hebrews, first beta to come out in october.
    Thanks, I didn't know that, from everything I read, they pretty much sweeped every tribe they came across (though by God, not by force).
    Last edited by Agamemnon; August 22, 2010 at 02:09 PM.

I don't know what you mean by God other than military victories. The only group that was destroyed were the phoenecians and even a few of them didn't get their foreskins used as gribinnis. That's a joke by the way. From my perspective wars fought against neighbors were in self defense and simply a natural occurence due to the hebrews proximity with their neighbors. The only people divinely mandated according to the old testament were the canaanites. others were encouraged to "emigrate" by pain of death. philistines hittites and other major powers never were completely defeated and conflict between them was inevitable.

That is what I meant. Just that God helped them win battles against ridiculously overwhelming odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperiumiv View Post
    Actually you are correct. I apologize for being argumentative. I picked up a few books on the subject and it seems that hebrews lived in the levant but were not significant until very late 1100s.
    We really believe that the mere mention (Merneptah stele, the inscription which is dated 5th year of his reign - about 1205 BC) is not enough to create a faction.
    If there is no archaeological data, then how do units? Based on what?

Kingdom of Judah the most appropriate in the 1050-900 BC.
    Saul, David, Solomon, all of them are well known and are synchronous with the other kings in the Middle East - Hiram of Tyre, the Pharaoh Shoshenq, Rezin of Aram. This is confirmed by many sources.
    At that time, Judea was a serious force!

Agammemnon
    Can you upload somewhere else? Your site will let my download, but at about 15 % I get a message saying "internet explorer is not responding" and my com. shuts down internet explorer. Ditto with firefox.
    Try to download here:
    http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/473026/

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

There is mention to Saul, Solomon and David in any contemporary source? If it is, i´m out of update on the subject.

Hebrews were NOT Aramaic, ethnically speaking. That is widely proven by different evidences. My professor of Ancient Eastern history believes that they are a fusion group, with some Hurrean elements, and relates their origin with the word "habiru" used in Egypt to name nomadic groups hostile to them inhabiting in the road to Levant (and we should remember that for the Pharao, anyone besides him is a "bandit"). You can disagree with this theory but anyways this is based on the fact that the Aramaic are only ONE element in the Hebrew ethnocultural complex. I was not aware of the differences in ADN, but it did not surprises me.

Besides, being an Atheist is not direct related to intend to prove that the Bible is wrong. The Bible is just a secondary authority on the subject mainly because it was written many centuries after the end of the Bronze Age by transcription of oral tradition, so it have approximately the same value as a historical source as the Illiad (that was not "wrong" in the literal sense, the discovery of the Kingdom of Wilusa proves that). Uncovering the accuracy of the Biblical references is not going to make me believe in the christian god more than uncovering the accuracy of the Illiad could make me believe in Zeus. The only thing proven is the effectivity of the oral transmision as a keeper of history and tradition for a given people. Trying to prove that the Bible is wrong is equally anti-cientific than trying to prove that it is rigth.

Why is the site in Russian? My google thing won't translate it! I only speak English and some Chezch! (and a bit of Greek)

Quote Originally Posted by Anakarsis View Post
    There is mention to Saul, Solomon and David in any contemporary source? If it is, i´m out of update on the subject.
    Strictly speaking you are right. No direct sources, but in the Bible king Solomon is presented as a contemporary of pharaoh Shoshenq and Hiram of Tyre. And the fact that Shoshenq and Hiram real historical characters is no doubt. Therefore, this puts Solomon on some historical basis.

Hebrews were NOT Aramaic, ethnically speaking. That is widely proven by different evidences. My professor of Ancient Eastern history believes that they are a fusion group, with some Hurrean elements, and relates their origin with the word "habiru" used in Egypt to name nomadic groups hostile to them inhabiting in the road to Levant (and we should remember that for the Pharao, anyone besides him is a "bandit"). You can disagree with this theory but anyways this is based on the fact that the Aramaic are only ONE element in the Hebrew ethnocultural complex. I was not aware of the differences in ADN, but it did not surprises me.
    "Habiru" we also have within the kingdom Amurru. But there was another group of nomads Ivri who spoke Aramaic, so they will be presented within the faction Aramaeans.

Any news on the campaign release?
    Map basically ready, work continues on the placement of factions. Developed units for fractions of Elam, "Peoples of the Sea," the Libyans and the other factions.
    The exact release date, we can not call now.

Agammemnon
    Why is the site in Russian? My google thing won't translate it!
    No need to translate anything.
    Enter number from image and download.

Number!? I'll try, but I have no clue what you mean.

This mod looks awesome! I have always wanted a good mod for this period! Forgive me cause I havn't read all the way through this thread, but will this mod be modfoldered?

Yes.
    @Akrit: Sorry, figured it out and downloaded it. Thanks.