Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Squalor getting you down? - This will help!

Default Re: Squalor getting you down? - This will help!

Ah you already did it, nice on Ruprecht.

You can compare files to one another using a program called winmerge, its free to download. All you do is open it and in the first option open the vanilla file and in the second option open the edited file and then click ok and it will highlight all edited lines of code and tell you what has changed. This will help teach you how to mod things in RTW and other games more easily as you will see the effects from playing with the modded version and by seeing the way the code was changed you can see how the code was edited.

I've been modding Age Of Pirates 2 City Of Abbandened Ships with a few guy's, the full uncompressed game is something like 4.5GB's with our work added its over 13GB's now. Most of that is new textures, ships, characters etc etc, but the amount of work we have put into that game its almost like a new game. Pirates Of The Carabbean (i never worked on it and is not part of the movie POTC at all) the team working on that have made that almost a new game but with the developers giving us the source code for COAS we hope to make the game even greater.

Anyway back on topic, i could manage with the squalor as it was but after playing as much as i have it soon gets annoying and to be honest in medevil 1 or 2 the barracks did give you a law bonus from what i have read so i can't understand why that would be changed if squalor would become a bigger problem than it needed to be. The way this game has been coded although not too hard to understand can be confussing at first, i want to get a new map into the game, i already got one map working but i like the one from SPQR however because TWC was down i couldn't ask LT if it was ok to use his campaign map for my own project, so i will send him a PM in a few minutes to see if its ok or not.

Again good work bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy974 View Post
    Ah you already did it, nice on Ruprecht.

You can compare files to one another using a program called winmerge, its free to download. All you do is open it and in the first option open the vanilla file and in the second option open the edited file and then click ok and it will highlight all edited lines of code and tell you what has changed. This will help teach you how to mod things in RTW and other games more easily as you will see the effects from playing with the modded version and by seeing the way the code was changed you can see how the code was edited.

I've been modding Age Of Pirates 2 City Of Abbandened Ships with a few guy's, the full uncompressed game is something like 4.5GB's with our work added its over 13GB's now. Most of that is new textures, ships, characters etc etc, but the amount of work we have put into that game its almost like a new game. Pirates Of The Carabbean (i never worked on it and is not part of the movie POTC at all) the team working on that have made that almost a new game but with the developers giving us the source code for COAS we hope to make the game even greater.

Anyway back on topic, i could manage with the squalor as it was but after playing as much as i have it soon gets annoying and to be honest in medevil 1 or 2 the barracks did give you a law bonus from what i have read so i can't understand why that would be changed if squalor would become a bigger problem than it needed to be. The way this game has been coded although not too hard to understand can be confussing at first, i want to get a new map into the game, i already got one map working but i like the one from SPQR however because TWC was down i couldn't ask LT if it was ok to use his campaign map for my own project, so i will send him a PM in a few minutes to see if its ok or not.

Again good work bud.

Hey again,

Firstly thanks for not hating on my little project here, i seem to have more angry mobs than supporters.

That Age of Pirates 2 sounds interesting, i'm going to look it up, i don't get around the forums much so a lot escapes my attention. I'm curious how the hell you guys added almost 9 gig of extra content .. that is pretty crazy!

Thanks for the great advice, that Winmerge looks like it will make life a lot easier, i have files floating about everywhere and i forget whats done to them most of the time.
    Signature by Lucarius.

LOL, no matter what edits you make to game files you will alway's have someone who doesn't like the changes. Don't let those who dislike it put you off what you are doing. At the end of the day some people make mods just for fun (perhaps addiction since modding can be highly addictive) while other's try to improve some problems in the vanilla game without trying to change the vanilla game into a mod.

Example for myself, i have changed it so all factions start with 25k, all units can be trained in a single turn, increased the health of all units by 1. Done what you have done with some buildings mine been wall's and barracks. Added a new map which i have since removed, added a few new units to Macadonia and Greeks (however i want to add some more units to the Germans and other factions who can easily be wipped out that would then increase there chances of survival and again make it a little more challanging and also mean you get to fight more factions towards the end of the campaign). Finally i have added the script for 4 turns per year. I have almost finished my first campaign with those changes to make sure no bugs are present and so far i have not found any. The increased starting money has improved the way the AI play as they will send more stacks at you, kind of makes up for the changes made to increase law and happiness by increasing the difficulty of the a little.

I don't know if you can post links to other forums on here haven't read the rules for that part however since i donb't know i won't do it. I will say head over to pirates ahoy and you will be able to read all about the work we have done on COAS and whatthe guy's working on POTC have done. My username on that site is Luke159, its a user name i use a lot in less already taken of course.

Those are some pretty awesome changes man, a few of which i would very much like in my own game *hint*

Especially giving non-Roman factions the ability to survive longer, that i like the sound of .. i'm sick of killing Romans, 3 whole factions worth per campaign and they are all the same units just a different color. In my last few campaigns i actually have Save files named stuff like Operation-save-dacia lol. So i go out of my way to try and preserve all the weak factions so i can bully them later in the game hehe.

But yeah, i'll head over to Pirates Ahoy and check out the cool stuff you guys have been doing, preferably when i'm a little less tired and intoxicated. something tells me i will like it.

Edit: Oh yeah, regarding the posting links to other sites, i'm certain it is not against TWC's policy, though i have never read the Forum rules lol.
    Signature by Lucarius.

I'm going to have a little play with something else today that i hope will improve the scale of the game giving the smaller factions chance to hold there own a little better against the might of Rome's Brutti, Julli and Scippi families. The Scippi alway's goes south at the start and heads west along the bottom of the map towards Affrica but i have never seen them actually attack a settlement on Affrica, also from the south (bottom of the map) head east to take out the Egyptions and if givin the chance will take the riches Greece has to offer. The Brutti seems to be focused on expanding northwards and west rowards the Gauls, if given the chance they could block your own plans of expanding north or even westwards, thats if playing as the Julli as i am at the moment. If not then the Julli seem to be focused on destroying the Gauls and taking as much of europe as they can. The changes i hope to make (if possible) will be to aid the defensive and attacking abilities of the other factions which i will test tonight and see how it all goes.

I do have plans to release my work when finished, if testing goes well with what i change today i will perhaps release a beta version so youi can get a look at how its changes effect gameplay. I'm happy to see no bugs have been found only small tweaks to what i have already changed.

Congrats !!!!
    Excellent job !!!
    Well done !!!

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

Nice work. +rep

Calisthenis of Dyrrachium's Avatar Senator

Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireright View Post
    Spot On

They put the wrong disc in the box when I bought the game cos I got Squalor Total War
    Meh.

Example
    Code:
    building defenses
    {
        levels wooden_pallisade wooden_wall stone_wall large_stone_wall epic_stone_wall 
        {
            wooden_pallisade requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    wall_level 0
                    tower_level 1
                    happiness_bonus bonus 1
                }
                construction  1 
                cost  400 
                settlement_min town
                upgrades
                {
                    wooden_wall
                }
    A higher value means an increase of the effect.
    law_bonus also decreases the corruption in the settlement. I think it might also influence the management of characters but I'm not sure about that...

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Great mod, makes my game much more relaxed

CrisGer's Avatar Civis

This looks to be a very nice enhancement thank you very much for the work on this, and I hope to see the improvement in game play too.

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Just about anyone that plays RTW needs to download this little mod and also hasn't been long but.................... BUMP!

Heya people,

Great fix!

Just wondering, is there a fix for Barbarian Invasion available?

Cheers!

Squalor is not my issue if I could rid of the damn distance from the capital that would make my day. That is my biggest issue with pre Empire TW games is "distance from capital".

Searched the fora and noticed there wasnt any fix for public order in BI so made on myself

played a quick campaign as WRE and the game was pretty balanced, even though there are still some revolts but hey, that's just part of the WRE.

Also i removed the population growth bonus from the market buildings since this only decreases public order.

If you got any suggestions or notice something's out of balance let me know and i'll fix it!

Cheers

photon_man62's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by xinix View Post
    Searched the fora and noticed there wasnt any fix for public order in BI so made on myself

played a quick campaign as WRE and the game was pretty balanced, even though there are still some revolts but hey, that's just part of the WRE.

Also i removed the population growth bonus from the market buildings since this only decreases public order.

If you got any suggestions or notice something's out of balance let me know and i'll fix it!

Cheers
    In case someone wants xinix's modified file, BUT with the markets still having the population growth, here you go.

Hyperfyre's Avatar Libertus

Should work a treat with my campaign my capital just surpassed 40k population. I was about to just let them rebel and exterminate them, but this seems easier.

FANTASTIC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfyre View Post
    Should work a treat with my campaign my capital just surpassed 40k population. I was about to just let them rebel and exterminate them, but this seems easier.
    But this will not work in late campaign when every building built up and with full garrison you have 80% happiness.

A question: Can i add bigger value for this? for example law_bonus bonus 100 (not the max 5)

Good little fix. I'm going to get on this ASAP. Though question, is it really squalor that does this? Doesn't distance from capital and religion cause serious issues as well? Just saying, I'm playing as the Franks in BI and Egypt of all places is rioting and soon to revolt.

Question though.

Will this in any way cause issues with Player1's bug-fixer patch?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=795
    Last edited by fierywokbar; July 02, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast