Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolution Order of War | General Discussions

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: Revolution Order of War (ROW) - A French Revolution Mod ... presented by Marshal Beale.

Quote Originally Posted by ambien View Post
    The first acts of the revolution took place in Grenoble (in the Dauphine in the Southern alps) in 1788.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Tiles

I don't remember what regions France starts with--it's been a long time since I've played this game--but if there is a region encompassing the alps, maybe that should be revolutionary France's start position. Either that or Paris, as Paris/Versailles is where most of the action took place in 1789.
    Marseilles maybe?

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Default Re: Revolution Order of War (ROW) - A French Revolution Mod ... presented by Marshal Beale.

The first acts of the revolution took place in Grenoble (in the Dauphine in the Southern alps) in 1788.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Tiles

I don't remember what regions France starts with--it's been a long time since I've played this game--but if there is a region encompassing the alps, maybe that should be revolutionary France's start position. Either that or Paris, as Paris/Versailles is where most of the action took place in 1789.
    It needs to be remembered that the Day of the Tiles ended when the govt agreed to it retaining its assembly.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    It needs to be remembered that the Day of the Tiles ended when the govt agreed to it retaining its assembly.

The most significant result of that assembly was that the representatives of the 3rd estate demanded that each representative's vote be counted individually (instead of voting by estate). That was the key principle that ended the ancien regime and drove the revolution forward.
    Last edited by ambien; July 29, 2010 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    Marseilles maybe?
    Does Lyon exist in the game? That is closer to Grenoble than Marseilles.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...es.html?n=1268
    Last edited by ambien; July 29, 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Possible loadscreens:

Death of Marat

tennis court oath

Battle of Valmy (by Vernet, 1821)

Battle of Jemappes (by Vernet, 1821)

[/FIELDSET2]

La Fete de la Federation (Charles Thévenin)

la fete de la federation

"Les révoltés de Fouesnant ramenés par la garde nationale de Quimper en 1792"

"The Storming of the Bastille"

battle of jemappes

Battle of Jemappes

Fête de l’Etre suprême au Champ de Mars

La Garde nationale de Paris (cogniet)

The Tuilleries, 20th June 1792

war in the vendee
    Last edited by ambien; July 29, 2010 at 11:56 AM.

Does Lyon exist in the game? That is closer to Grenoble than Marseilles.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...es.html?n=1268
    Lyon is in the Marseilles province in-game.

I suppose Grenoble would also be in the Marseilles province.

I guess Grenoble would also be in the Marseilles province.

possible load screen quotations:

"Aux armes, citoyens!" La Marseillaise

"Après moi le déluge." Louis XV

"Pour les vaincre, messieurs, il nous faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace et la Patrie sera sauvée!" Georges Danton

"Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven!" William Wordsworth

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times." Charles Dickens

"There were two ‘Reigns of Terror’, if we could but remember and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passions, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years." Mark Twain

"Justice has its anger." Victor Hugo

"From this place and from this day forth begins a new era in the history of the world, and you can all say that you were present at its birth." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, after the Battle of Valmy

"Men are born and remain free and equal in rights." Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen

"When the government violates the people's rights, insurrection is, for the people and for each portion of the people, the most sacred of the rights and the most indispensible of duties." Marquis de Lafayette

"True republicanism is the sovereignty of the people. There are natural and imprescriptible rights which an entire nation has no right to violate." Marquis de Lafayette

"What is the end of our revolution? The tranquil enjoyment of liberty and equality; the reign of that eternal justice, the laws of which are graven, not on marble or stone, but in the hearts of men, even in the heart of the slave who has forgotten them, and in that of the tyrant who disowns them." Robespierre

"Pity is treason." Robespierre

"The king must die so that the country can live." Robespierre

"Any law which violates the inalienable rights of man is essentially unjust and tyrannical; it is not a law at all." Robespierre

"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" Henri de la Rochejaquelein, counter-revolutionary general

"But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint." Edmund Burke

Louis XVI: "Is this a revolt?"
    Duke of Rochefoucauld-Liancourt: "No, sire, it is a revolution."

"I was a queen, and you took away my crown; a wife, and you killed my husband; a mother, and you deprived me of my children. My blood alone remains: take it, but do not make me suffer long." Marie Antoinette

"Courage! I have shown it for years; think you I shall lose it at the moment when my sufferings are to end?" Marie Antoinette

"Those who haven't lived in the eighteenth century before the Revolution do not know the sweetness of living." Talleyrand
    Last edited by ambien; July 30, 2010 at 09:33 AM.

What about this?
    "Let them eat cake!" - Marie Antoinette

What about this?
    "Let them eat cake!" - Marie Antoinette

That is the most famous quote attributed to her, but it is doubtful that she actually said it.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

That is the most famous quote attributed to her, but it is doubtful that she actually said it.
    It was actually said by Louis XIV's queen Marie Therese of Spain. The quote first appears in a Rousseau book decades earlier. In any case it was likely not meant in the way the revolutionaries presented it. She meant that cake should be given to the starving of Paris.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 30, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

I present to you, the current Royalist roster!
    Line
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Grenadiers

Chasseurs a Pied (Disregard the wrong Cocardes)

Chasseurs a Cheval

Dragoons

(Not finished just yet, and disregard the Britanian flag)

Very beautiful units !
    " Le sang de nos ennemis est toujours le sang des hommes. La vraie gloire, c'est de l'épargner " - (Louis XV king of France 1710-1774 )

Tres belle! love the work youve done mate!
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Thought i might forward on some dialogue I had with ambien, as a little insight to our thoughts
    To begin with, the Day of the Tiles was by no means a major movement towards reformation - as opposed to the Storming of the Bastille and the Tennis Court Oath etc, beginning in 1789. also, we have Revolutionary France as a faction, with a leader and a policy from the get-go, thus little rebellious skirmishes between a handfull of bored Frenchies can't be represented in the game. although thats what the fighting in the "civil war" comprised of, we need to portray both Frances (monarchist and republican) as somewhat established major powers. As far as regions go, the Vendee is far more relevant, but even that isn't one we can concentrate on, being that its in the "France" region. I will be thus making Paris and its surrounds the centre for fighting if at all possible in the early years of the game.
    regards,
    Cochrane
    Last edited by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠; August 01, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Maybe could you be interested into creating some Italian republican units.

About french royalists, i suggest you to create some "émigrés" units.
    Here is an interesting link : Les Soldats de la Révolution Française - Funcken (html)
    Or a flash version here
    Last edited by wangrin; August 02, 2010 at 03:35 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    Maybe could you be interested into creating some Italian republican units.

About french royalists, i suggest you to create some "émigrés" units.
    Here is an interesting link : Les Soldats de la Révolution Française - Funcken (html)
    Or a flash version here
    Some of those units appear in the Italian campaign if you look hard enough.

More units:
    Generic General:

Swiss Guard:

I'm just wondering, though Beale, what do you want Conde and his unit to look like?

here is a link that describes the uniforms of Conde's officers and soldiers:

http://books.google.com/books?id=X0P...page&q&f=false

What were the loyalties of the Grenadiers A Cheval? And how good of cavalrymen are they?