Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolution Order of War | General Discussions

Default Re: Revolution Order of War (ROW) - A French Revolution Mod ... presented by Marshal Beale.

If start date is 1792 (or if "trial and execution of the king" is researched or happens automatically (NB: historically, trial was in Dec 1792, execution carried out in Jan 1793)), ministers for revolutionary France could be:

Minister of Justice: Georges Danton

Danton

Prime Minister and Head of State: Maximilien Robespierre (officially, there was no office of prime minister, but robespierre works as well as anyone for the purposes of the mod)

Robespierre

or PM to robespierre's head of state could be Louis Antoine de Saint-Just (robespierre's deputy in all things revolutionary)

Saint-Just

Minister of the Army: Lazare Carnot

Carnot

Minister of the Navy and Colonies: Gaspard Monge

Foreign Minister: Pierre Henri Hélène Marie Lebrun-Tondu (haven't found a photo)

Minister of Finance: Étienne Clavière (haven't found a photo) (NB: this position was extraordinarily unstable after 1789 until Jacques Ramel de Nogaret took office from 1796-99)

I think that's it, but if I have forgotten any office, let me know.
    Last edited by ambien; July 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM.

Default Re: Revolution Order of War (ROW) - A French Revolution Mod ... presented by Marshal Beale.

by the way, if you are looking to add music, edith piaf's version of the "Ca ira" is great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rauZMrXqRu0

British ministers might include:

Head of State: George III

George III

Prime Minister and Finance Minister (Ch. of the Exchequer): William Pitt the Younger

Pitt

Minister of the Navy: George Spencer, 2nd Earl Spencer

Earl Spencer

Minister of the Army and the Colonies and Minister of Justice: Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville

Viscount Melville

Foreign Minister: from 1789-91, Francis Osborne, 5th Duke of Leeds

Duke of Leeds

from 1791-1801, William Grenville, 1st Baron Grenville

Lord Grenville
    Last edited by ambien; July 22, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Austria (this is a bit sparse--maybe a German speaker would have better luck)

Austrian ministers (if start date is 1789):

foreign minister, minister of justice and prime minister: Wenzel Anton, Prince of Kaunitz-Rietberg

Prince of Kaunitz-Rietberg

head of state: Joseph II if start date is 1789

Joseph II

Minister of Finance: Karl von Zinzendorf

Graf von Zinzendorf

Minister of the Army: Baron Ernst Gideon von Laudon

Fieldmarshal Laudon

If start date is 1792:

Foreign Minister, Prime Minister, Minister of Justice: Johann Amadeus Francis de Paula, Baron of Thugut

Baron of Thugut

head of state: Franz II

Last edited by ambien; July 22, 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Prussia (info exists on Prussian govt, but most is in German)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_...h_von_Woellner

http://books.google.com/books?id=yeX...werder&f=false

head of state: Friedrich Wilhelm II

Friedrich Wilhelm II

At this time, Prussia could be descried as a "rosicrician state." the king was a rosicrucian and fell under the influence of his rosicrucian brothers Johann Christoph von Woellner and Johann Rudolf von Bischoffswerder.

Minister of the Army, Navy and Foreign Min.: Johann Rudolf von Bischoffswerder

you wil find a picture here:

http://www.pastellists.com/Articles/Cunningham.pdf

Prime Minister, Min. of Finance and Min. of Justice: Johann Christoph von Woellner

Last edited by ambien; July 22, 2010 at 03:12 PM.

Russia

head of state: Catherine II

Catherine II

Foreign Minister: Count Ivan Osterman

Count Osterman

Prime Minister, Finance Minister: Prince Alexander Bezborodko

Prince Bezborodko

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Important point on French Ministers. During the Constitutional Monarchy the Assembly passed a law banning its members from joining the king's government. In that context I disagree with Mirabeau as a minister.

A few more tech-tree suggestions for Republican France:

Assignats:
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Assignats were paper money issued by the National Assembly in France during the French Revolution. The assignats were issued after the confiscation of church properties in 1790 because the government was bankrupt. The government thought that the financial problems could be solved by printing certificates representing the value of church properties. These church lands became known as biens nationaux (“national goods”). Assignats were used to successfully retire a significant portion of the national debt as they were accepted as legitimate payment by domestic and international creditors. Certain precautions not taken concerning their excessive reissue and comingling with general currency in circulation caused hyperinflation.
    Originally meant as bonds, they evolved into a currency used as legal tender. As there was no control over the amount to be printed, the value of the assignats exceeded that of the confiscated properties. This caused massive hyperinflation. In the beginning of 1792, they had lost most of their nominal value. In 1796, the Directoire issued Mandats, a currency in the form of land warrants to replace the assignats, although these too quickly failed.
    This hyperinflation was stirred up by repeated food shortages. Instead of solving the financial problems, the assignats became a catalyst for (food) riots. Instability continued after the abolition of the monarchy, exacerbated by the wars France faced. This situation impeded the implementation of good financial policies that would reduce debts. Bills such as the Maximum Price Act of 1793 aimed to regulate inflation.
    When the Directoire came into power in 1795 the Maximum Price Act was lifted. Hyperinflation reemerged and in the next four years Paris was the stage of yet more riots.
    The inflation was finally solved by Napoleon in 1803 by introducing the franc as the new currency. By this time, the assignats were basically worthless
    Maximum-price Act:
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The Maximum Price Act, or loi du maximum général, was a French law passed by the National Convention on September 29, 1793, which established the maximum legal prices of grain. It succeeded to the May 4, 1793 loi du maximum which had the same purpose. Confronted by the high inflation provoked by the depreciation of the assignats, the Parisian sans-culottes imposed to the National Convention this law which established maximum prices on first necessity goods and blocked wages. It was supposed to counter the food shortages observed in revolutionary France besieged by its neighbours.
    Although it varied according to each region, the maximum price for first necessity goods was about one third higher than the 1790 prices, while the legal maximum fixed to the wages was about half higher than the average level in 1790. However, this law had in fact the reverse effects than expected. The peasants started hiding their harvest in order to avoid having to sell them at low prices, while speculators hurried to buy all they could. Thus, the food shortage was actually worsened, partly because the blocking of the salaries was much easier to enact than the blocking of the prices. The National Convention's attempt to impede the failure of the law on the general maximum by repressing, detaining and executing those who didn't respect it contributed to make of it one of the symbols of the Terror. The law thus provoked a popular discontent which brought its repeal on December 24, 1794, by the Thermidorian Convention.
    Law of Suspects:
    The Law of Suspects is a term which is used to refer to an enactment passed on September 17, 1793 during the course of the French Revolution. It allowed for the creation of revolutionary tribunals to try those who were suspected of treason against the Republic and to punish those convicted with death. The corollary of this was that both enforcement and justice subsequently became synonymous with revolutionary governance.
    The law called for a general roundup of all suspects; it was a deeply comprehensive list, for example: those who, by their conduct, associations, comments, or writings have shown themselves partisans of tyranny or federalism and enemies of liberty [..]
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 23, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by ambien View Post
    by the way, if you are looking to add music, edith piaf's version of the "Ca ira" is great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rauZMrXqRu0
    Not authentic though. The historical score is here (Lyrics too).
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 24, 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

true on Mirabeau. the actual minister of justice was Marguerite-Louis-François Duport-Dutertre. but mirabeau was one of key personalities of the early phase of the revolution and the real power at the minstry of justice. putting him as min of justice is technically inaccurate from an official standpoint, but better represents who exercised power at the min of justice

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Not authentic though. The historical score is here.
    but the piaf version is so much better. it's ok to take certain liberties for aesthetic reasons (i.e., the banner for the mod is "liberty leading the people" by delacroix, which concerns the revolution of 1830, not 1789. but it's a much more iconic painting than any representation of the 1789 revolution)

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I saw that you asked Howe if his skins could be used 18th-century-if-y Prussia. But I'm just wondering, are they historical enough?
    And the Silesian Schutzen and 1st Grenadier Battallion should be removed, because these did not exist until the Napoleonic Wars had gotten started.

Yes, I was only thinking about it, I know I could do the very same thing myself, very easily. So I might not use them, I just was thinking about it!

But there would be a lot of work that needs to make them better, so really, I think I might just do it myself! Yes, you've convnced me, I don't know how, but I'll just do it myself!

EB, are you back from your holiday? Would you like me to send you the document of Royalist uniforms?
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Marshal Beale♔ View Post
    Yes, I was only thinking about it, I know I could do the very same thing myself, very easily. So I might not use them, I just was thinking about it!

But there would be a lot of work that needs to make them better, so really, I think I might just do it myself! Yes, you've convnced me, I don't know how, but I'll just do it myself!

EB, are you back from your holiday? Would you like me to send you the document of Royalist uniforms?
    Coming back Sunday, and pretty eager to get working.

I was wondering Marshal Beale, why didn't you just set up this thread in the NOW forum and sticky it?
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Here is a map of Europe in 1789:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Closer look at Polish territory since the 1772 Partition of Poland (Dark pink and beige is Polish territory). The remaining Polish-state had 14 million people in 1772. This partition gave Prussia effective control of 80% of pre-partition Polish trade:
    Map of German states in HRR 1789 here. Are you going to make Poland and the Netherlands factions?
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 24, 2010 at 12:34 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Here is a map of Europe in 1789:
    Closer look at Polish territory since the 1772 Partition of Poland (Dark pink and beige is Polish territory). This partition gave Prussia effective control of 80% of pre-partition Polish trade:
    Map of German states in HRR 1789 here. Are you going to make Poland and the Netherlands factions?
    I think this map is better since it has all factions.

But yes, Poland and the Netherlands were very important in this period. What'd also be fun is to make Poland playable to try and reverse Poland's downfall.

An idea for a minor faction would be the Republic of Ragusa, which existed from 1358-1808 and whose capital was Dubrovnik. Red area in map below:

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Doubt we can edit the map to add such a small province.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    Doubt we can edit the map to add such a small province.
    Couldn't you add it as a faction without redrawing the map?

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Well, I believe it is part of the province of the Balkans, so it wouldn't be fair to rob the Ottomans of that province for a tiny, insignificant nation that omly controlled .2% of the povince.