Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP)

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP)

Well as said previously xD there are still some duplicates and phantom entries.

I can clean all 1.1 and 1.2 variants of exact multiples and phantom entries this weekend, as well as isolating and highlighting those that just have the same internal name, so you guys decide which stays.

BTW also found many names with the "?" character in variant 1 (default)

{Al_Garnati}'Al-Garna?i
    {Bozgus}Boz?uš
    {Tagacar}Ta?ačar
    {Abu_Rayhan}Abu Ray?an
    {Abu_Talib}Abu-?alib
    {Esmail}Esma?il
    {Ezzat}?Ezzat
    {Kanan}Kan?an
    {Lutf_Ali}Lutf?Ali
    {Mas#ud}Mas?ud
    {Mustafa#}Mu??afa
    {Ra#uf}Ra?uf
    {Ramaza#n}Ramaz?an

and these entries have a space after the text

{Abul_Fadl }Abul-Fadl
    {Chodrak }Chodrak

These are missing from names.txt

A#li# v2
    Axetracheilos v1
    Melanchthon v1/v2/v3/v4

**************************************************************************************************
    EDIT:

Here are the edited files
    Edited_ssnop_v1.2.zip
    I reformated descr_names.txt removing most of the unnecessary tab and/or spaces
    names.txt variants are all organized grouping duplicates/triples/quadruples as well as missing entries (either from names.txt or descr_names.txt)
    Those still need to be sorted and remove the duplicates that should go as well as either remove the phantom entries or add them to descr_name.txt

Currently it works 'as is' in game as all indicators and extra texts are commented out with the ¬ character

Almost forget
    you are missing both William name and Wallace surname for scotland, used in the campaign script, you could use the same wallace internal name and just make it in names.txt as Uallas...sadly William cannot be edited without affecting other faction's Williams (I could change the campaign script for the bugfix compilation to use Uilliam Uallas instead but that would mean SSNOP requires the bugfix comp :/)

should check for other named characters in the campaign script just to be sure nothing else is missing

Fishers of Men's Avatar Laetus

Around the year 1145 the William Wallace character appears in Scotland. His information card has a blank area where his name should be. I am guessing that this is the missing surname that Meloo182 referred. Just confirming.

Just to be clear with everyone, the "duplicate" names are often indexed differently and in adifferent sequence and are for now necessary in the order they appear. Some names in the SS6.4 descr_strat are indexed differently because the originals were non-historical, including names of football players. The ideal solution would have been to remove the non-historical names from descr_strat but we wanted to keep the descr_names list backwards compatible as much as possible. There are also alternative encodings needed for modding reasons and these sets were placed separately at the end of the descr_names file. The "duplicate" names have no effect on play as such.

Thanks for the notes on the Arab names, these are presumably from the fifth list where we used additional Arabic diacritics.

I will check those and the three missing names plus Wallace when I am back home in a couple of weeks.

Did some tests and names seem to be always indexed to the last match in names.txt
    tested both on a single faction and different factions, same result.

Images ensues
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	name_variants_test.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	311431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	name_variants_test2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	311433

This means that there is no reason for having duplicates in names.txt.

Quote Originally Posted by Melooo182 View Post
    Great, thanks for the confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by Melooo182 View Post
    Did some tests and names seem to be always indexed to the last match in names.txt
    tested both on a single faction and different factions, same result.

Thanks for your continuing troubleshooting. How did you do that test? I had the impression that on subsequent call-ups, previous names were being selected. So for example if there is an {A}A and a {A}B and the second is last, then the engine will choose that for all names on the descr_strat list. If another A is created, the engine may chose the alternative name. For example, first time around Kagan, which occurs for Khwarezm on descr_strat, will be indexed to Kamrani, an attested medieval name from Iran. Next time around, if called for the Cumans, it may be indexed as Kagan. I am not sure that will always happen. I thought, however, that the engine rotated through the possible alternatives. It may be it only rotates per faction or not at all, it was just my impression from playing some campaigns that I had seen both versions of a name indexed in two different ways.

How did you do that test? I had the impression that on subsequent call-ups, previous names were being selected. So for example if there is an {A}A and a {A}B and the second is last, then the engine will choose that for all names on the descr_strat list. If another A is created, the engine may chose the alternative name.
    I only tested with characters created in descr_strat.txt, will make more tests with spies created though campaign_script then.

Thanks for all that work.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; August 22, 2014 at 02:01 PM.

Name:	Name_Variant_Test3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	312161
    Tested again with spies spawned with the campaign script for 3 turns in a row and nothing, all of them using the last entry in names.txt

Next thing will try without different surnames to see if that changes anything.

Name:	Name_Variant_Test4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	312162
    nope nothing

And I think this is conclusive, made an additional test where i just let the game assign the Test name randomly, every single one of them had "Variant 6"

Name:	0003.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	312164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	312165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0002.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	408.0 KB 
ID:	312166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0004.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	312163

Announcement

This is just to inform everyone: I have agreed with Geoffrey of Villehardouin that he would take over the development of this mod, so he is now officially in charge of this project.
    Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this work over the years, please make sure you continue supporting Geoffrey as well in the future!

I think I found a problem with names that end with a special character like for example "Maria_" tried to add it in the descr_strat.txt and well it prevents the campaign from starting...changing the name to another that doesn't end with special character solves the problem.

Already checked that the name was both in descr_names.txt and names.txt and also tried other names ending in special characters and always gives the same result.

Upon more testing, it seem it only causes trouble when is a character's first name, surnames can have special characters at the end but they seem to not show in-game.

EDIT:
    The above means that names that end with a special character such as +, _ or #, are simply ignored by the engine and treated as empty names which could lead to CTDs.

Proposed quick fix, add a regular letter at the end of the name, a capital I could do. I'm sure this can be done in less than 5min with any text editor that can mass edit, using commands like "replace all #} with #I}" and for the descr_name.txt using backlash expressions like "replace all #\r\n with #I\r\n" (some editors might have different commands, the examples above are for SciTE)

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

That's a nice find.

I think the commands you mentioned should work also with Notepad++.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

thanks that explaned the sometimes missing names for turks as i had some with # as last one

I should have done this a long time ago but real life commitments stopped me for a while working on the mod and in the meantime the SSNOP files were lost in a faulty hard disk. The project has become somewhat irrelevant now that there is certainly not going to be a SS v.7.0.

In the meantime, for the benefit of anyone in search of historical names, I have placed here just the plain English names and descr_names files from the latest unreleased version of the SSNOP v.1.1. I have removed all names ending in a special character.

SSNOP work in progress.zip

Just unzip the file and edit it as you wish. It will NOT work with Stainless Steel 6.4. DO NOT extract into any kind of mod or game, it is a working copy that may be of some use to someone.

I have also found a backup copy of what looks like the last working version of SSNOP v.1.1 and depending on how my present commitments go I may be able to release it as a working version for Stainless Steel 6.4 at some point. I need to run a ton of tests first.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; May 13, 2017 at 08:29 PM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thanks for your gift
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

You are welcome Lifthrasir, your contribution to keeping Stainless Steel and SSHIP alive is unmatched by anything.

The names lists have names for all periods for all kinds of states and kingdoms. On the other hand, if there is not going to be a high period campaign, the newer English names are rather unnecessary. The English language began to be used in Parliament, the courts, legal documents and other official documents only around 1360. I have made an expanded list of only Norman names, that I will upload at some point or I may incorporate them in SSNOP, now that I am getting back into it.

Shadow_Imperator's Avatar Italo/Aussie hayseed

I'm unsure as to your progress here, if if you're looking for any further content. However if you'd like some supplementary Greek / Byzantine names for either people or units, you're welcome to use my research as a source. :-)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ead&highlight=
    "We are unable to choose the circumstances of our creation, and few of us choose our demise.
    However, as intelligent creatures of freewill, we are gifted, privileged, and so very fortunate; that we are able to choose the manner, in which we choose live". - Me

(If you like my quote or agree with it, you are welcome to add it to your own sig!).
    Under the patronage of Bulgaroctonos - PROTECTOR of the FAITH

Thanks for the list, many of these names are already in the SSNOP list, there is in fact a good overlap as far as the surnames go. The original Byzantine list had a mix of unusual contributions from several different contributors, including those carried over from Stainless Steel, that took us forever to edit and by the time the list was finalised, Fair Prince had practically stopped modding. The current list includes only names attested from the 12th to 14th centuries and we have used nearly all databases available, including unpublished or partially published material. It is unlikely we have missed out any. Personally, I tend to not like priestly or monastic names (Agapios, Aspasios, Neophytos and the like) as these were rarely used by anyone other than clergy or even by anyone other than monks and it would be odd to have a general or king called Agapios or Aspasios. In fact the names of most generals, nobility and royalty were drawn out of a very small list of names and for princesses and queens that shortlist of eligible names went down to about 8 names or so (Maria, Anna, Helena, Eudokia, Theodora, Eirene, Ioanna and Zoe plus a couple that are attested only once). Having a long list is not the only important thing.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; July 11, 2017 at 11:20 PM.

Can't get either of the latest versions to work. Game refuses to start a campaign and reverts back to main menu. There isn't a descr_names_lookup file in the zip despite it being stated, could that be the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Yeah I have the same issue