Page 3 of 313 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings 2

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2... maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by CDMan477 View Post
    Were you only able to play the part of a European Christian in CK I?
    Yep. One of its more infamous bugs was that your heir might adopt another culture and become unable to inherit.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by CDMan477
    Were you only able to play the part of a European Christian in CK I? It might be interesting to play with the same dynamics as Muslim faction. I'm assuming the original map only covered Europe, North Africa, the Levant and its outlying areas? Why not cover the entire world during this time period?
    Have fun doing research on the whole medieval world on a county level...

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ruire View Post
    Yep. One of its more infamous bugs was that your heir might adopt another culture and become unable to inherit.

Nope!

I am regularly playing that game and it is not true. Culture has nothing to do with inheritance. One thing I like doing is breeding strange culture kings. Like an arabic duke of Apulia.

What does matter is religion. You cannot inherit a _christian title_ if you are muslim/jew/pagan.

Religion change can only happen if a character gets church education at a different religion's ruler. (like some pagans flee to your court, and you send their problems -kids- to the church) However, your son will never complain after he is an adult, and finished his education - and you can only choose your religion!

Were you only able to play the part of a European Christian in CK I? It might be interesting to play with the same dynamics as Muslim faction. I'm assuming the original map only covered Europe, North Africa, the Levant and its outlying areas? Why not cover the entire world during this time period?
    Yes, in _crusader kings_ everyone except feudal system europeans are out of scope.

Also, it is impossible to research the rest of the world's system to this depth. (for example CK Hungary has about 15 counts, 3 dukes and the king, all with historical courts! that is about 90 characters only for a middle power country!)

If you missed CK, you can still try it. The main thing is that as a king, you have to control your dukes and counts. Muslims didn't have this system, they were much more centralized under the rule of an influental figure.
    If muslims were playable without a feudal system (as historical), in human hands, they would be unstoppable AND boring. In CK, the best thing was that the bigger you grew, the more time it took to keep together the empire. When you have 2 count vassals with 1-1 provinces, and you have 4, it is very easy to kick their @sses when they think they are smart. But when you have 20 vassals, among them dukes with 2-3 vassals of their own and a family land of 3 provinces, while you have maybe 6 provinces, it is much harder to keep them in check! You would miss this with playing muslims

edit:
    I forgot something. What makes CK unique is that you don't play a faction. You don't play a country or a duchy.
    You play a high rank noble family. Your aims are not to unite the UK for example. Your aim is that your family become more important. If you betray your lord, and become Duke of Flanders from the count of York, you did well!
    Last edited by shikaka; August 19, 2010 at 04:20 PM.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Default Crusader Kings 2 receives own forum on Paradox Plaza

Now that CK 2 is offical...Q1 2012 never seemed so far away.

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2 receives own forum on Paradox Plaza

The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it from ever happening. -Eloi Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    So [Jason] Bourne is an emo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookah Smoking Caterpiller View Post
    Japanese developers/publishers have a long history of avoiding development.
    Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    I always thought of Pokemon as glorified cock-fights
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgűl Killer View Post
    My penis would probably erupt with magma if that happens.

There is Fail, and then there is Epic Fail. Fail can happen to anyone, no matter how hard you try. An Epic Fail however, requires a mistake so huge that the only reason the opposition can fathom as to why you did it is to think it was deliberate. - Aeros on erepublik

Default Crusader Kings 2 receives own forum on Paradox Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by CDMan477 View Post
    The rest of the world would be completely incompatible with the system, unless you portrayed everyone outside of the normal CK map as tribes (Persia is a bit of a stretch anyway, as it stands).

And I think the Chinese get boned enough with Paradox games

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

Seeing as the game has been confirmed, the thread has been renamed

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Along with that i've editted the OP to make it more suitable for a general thread.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Dev diary 1 http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...53-Dev-Diary-1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hello folks, and welcome to the first entry in the development diary for Crusader Kings II!

I am Henrik Fĺhraeus, project lead on this sequel to the original Crusader Kings (on which I worked as co-designer.) Crusader Kings was a game quite different from our other franchises, in that the focus was on the powerful people of the era rather than on countries. You played a ruler, got married, had kids and watched them grow up to stab you in the back. As such, Crusader Kings was a bit of a role-playing game, while still retaining the strategy game elements of our other titles. Personally, I loved the combination, and, judging by the clamor for a sequel, it appears many others did as well. We are still proud of Crusader Kings, but time waits for no man, and the game is getting on in years...

As it happens, Crusader Kings II is coming along nicely, and, starting with this one, you should be seeing monthly CKII development diaries coming your way (on the first Thursday of the month). With Crusader Kings II, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel. Rather, we want to build on the strengths of the original game and fully realize its potential. That is not to say that Crusader Kings II will be the same game with new graphics, but it should feel instantly familiar to CK players.

What makes CK unique among our games is its character system and its RPG-like elements. The role of the player is clear since there is a ruler, a character, to identify with. The player is the king, and it's good to be the king! In Crusader Kings II, we aim to really hone in on the importance of characters - their personalities, interests and interactions - and to tone down the relevance of "countries". The sum total of the Prestige your successive rulers have gathered throughout the game determines your final score; not the size of your realm at game end. Of course, a major source of Prestige is the power of your family, your Dynasty. In fact, die without an heir from your dynasty and it's time to INSERT COIN.

The core gameplay, then, revolves around increasing the power of your dynasty and ensuring that you always have a legal heir with strong enough support. The death of your current ruler is the moment of truth: who will support the legal heir? Have you even managed to ensure one? Will anyone contest the succession? Unlike Crusader Kings, where your vassals would declare war on you simply because they disliked you (regardless, even, of their chance of success), in Crusader Kings II they are much more likely to bide their time and cause trouble during a succession crisis. The key is to choose the best Succession Law... For example, Gavelkind is almost guaranteed to be safe from succession crises. On the other hand, Gavelkind will divide your titles equally among your sons, splintering the realm and potentially decreasing your power.

I mentioned toning down the concept of countries. Here are some highlights: there is no Infamy/Badboy. Neither do characters have "loyalty", and neither is there a persistent relations value between countries. CKII is all about the characters, their opinions of each other, and their clash of interests. Therefore, we have merged the aforementioned concepts into a single opinion value between -100 and 100. I.e. what one character feels about another character... and why. The value is a sum of modifiers, like "Friend of Father's: +5", "Granted a Duchy: +30", "Betrayed Alliance: -20", etc.

Of course, characters will have traits, genetics and neat portraits like in Crusader Kings and EU:Rome. If you want to breed a dynasty of redheaded Harkonnen look-alikes, go ahead (with my blessing). Oh, and characters will age visibly; I shall leave you with a screenshot demonstrating the effect!

New portrait sets

I like that the characters will age nicely. I only dislike those 'dune-blue' eyes (but they can be a joke from paradox)

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

Sounds really good.

ChivalrousKiller's Avatar Domesticus

Is there any confirmed release date yet?

Dev diary2:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...nd-Settlements

What was said is an improvement:

- settlements for troops and titles (noble/burgher/clergy) instead of a relative power in the province
    - more titles (the baron of XY city is not on map) to reward with
    - vassals can double up as court members

That's the spirit!

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

Really looking forward to this game, loved CK and I think/hope that this will be just as good!
    Under the patronage of Sřren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

man, i am looking so forward to this, but 2012?!!!

Brand new teaser trailer and an interview. Is it just me or there is a possibility that a large province can now hold up to two cities, as seen in the trailer around Smaland region (SE region in Sweden)?

I'm very excited about this game, it's also good that the King of England can be a Duke in France and vassal to the French king, I also like that you can have antipopes and fight with the pope oabout the loyalty of you Bishops.

btw you forgot the two other parts of the interview.

Here is also a interview with Doomdark the project lead
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/de...r-kings/709566
    Last edited by molonthegreat; January 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Campidoctor

Thanks for the vids Maximinus. I must say that the spites in that first vid are the best Paradox has put out yet.