Thread: How to get a HUGE BATTLE

Default How to get a HUGE BATTLE

hi, what specs are required to get a HUGE battle with little or no lag.
    By huge i mean 10-20k soldiers, ive seen videos on youtube with such huge battles.

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

Default Re: How to get a HUGE BATTLE

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMF View Post
    By huge i mean 10-20k soldiers, ive seen videos on youtube with such huge battles.

Guys like them, have machines which can support huge battles!

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

yes I know but I was wondering what the specs are

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

Well, to give you an idea, I can barely run 15k men without lag on an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz.

After all, Rome doesn't take advantage of better processors.

Siegfriedfr's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by The Lich King View Post
    Well, to give you an idea, I can barely run 15k men without lag on an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz.

After all, Rome doesn't take advantage of better processors.
    It doesn't take advantage of more than 1 core, but it does take all the advantage of the more advanced architecture of the i7 and higher clock frequency.

Also, the synergy with the GPU is crucial, meaning that in order to run huge battles on max setting with minimum lag, you'll need the latest processor/video cards.

from my experience, it depends not on the processor or the Ram. i have 3ghz older presscot with 1gb ram and it runs smoothly until 6500 units. then i bought a laptop with 2ghz (dual core) with 4gb ram and it runs smooth until 6000 units. the only difference is the video. the GPU speed, the bus interface (256bit) and vram memory. its all about video card.

I have a great high end videocard, I can run even Empire Total War with DarthMod (Darthmod has twice the Unit Sizes) at highest settings in a battle,
    but the End Turns take a very long time on Empire. On M2TW and RTW it's the opposite, fast turns but only some 6-8k units in battle on medium settings.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMF View Post
    If you want battles with between 10-20k, you'd need a dedicated gaming rig to fight with those kinds of numbers with the best graphics and no lag. I'm not speaking for everyone here, but most of us don't have the kind of money for that kind of machine.

Myself, I have an AMD Athlon II X2 processor (overclocked to 3.4 Ghz), 6 GB DDR2 RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce GTS 250, and I'd probably only be able to get to 9-11k before my system began to lag with moderate settings.

Save your money so you can get a monster rig to get the types of battles you're looking for.

I have a 15inch macbook pro with windows xp running on dual partition. managed to get a battle with over 10k men once on high settings. laptop really heated up though

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I have a rig that can play Napoleon with 24000 units smoothly with everthing maxed out but it sruggles with Rome with the same number.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    I have a rig that can play Napoleon with 24000 units smoothly with everthing maxed out but it sruggles with Rome with the same number.
    it's cos of the cores problem..... as mentioned above
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.