View Poll Results: Should I add my units to the Peninsular DLC?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

166 88.30%
  • No!

22 11.70%
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreign Legions Mod 7.5 -New British and Austrian Updates

Default Re: Foreign Legions Mod (2.0 Released!)

At long last! Well done, sir! Well done Indeed!

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I've added a poll regarding whether or not some of my units should appear in the Peninsular DLC. Tell me what you think.

georider's Avatar Tiro
    ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΑ, Macedonia, Thessalonik, HELLAS

It's a MUST DO to add those that take part in that theater of operations, i.e issemburg, swiss regiments etc etc . I'm also did that in my units mod and still working to add all that fought there not only etrazers , it's a must do and the users will appreciate that and it's historical correct.
    Go for it keep walking!

Quote Originally Posted by georider View Post
    It's a MUST DO to add those that take part in that theater of operations, i.e issemburg, swiss regiments etc etc . I'm also did that in my units mod and still working to add all that fought there not only etrazers , it's a must do and the users will appreciate that and it's historical correct.
    Go for it keep walking!
    Alright, should I make them look ragtag like the vanilla French units for that campaign?
    And was De La Romana's division still in existence fighting for Spain?
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; July 12, 2010 at 04:13 PM.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    Alright, should I make them look ragtag like the vanilla French units for that campaign?
    And was De La Romana's division still in existence fighting for Spain?
    Romana's Division got shipped back by the Royal Navy to Galicia (p83 The Spanish Ulcer by David Gates) (also see http://www.napoleon-series.org/resea.../c_romana.html for more info and biography on Romana) and formed part of the Army of Galicia. According to page 10 of Osprey's Men at Arms 51 "The Spanish army in the Napoleonic Wars" the greater pary of the Regiments of Asturias, Guadalaxara and de Algarbe were disarmed and interned by the French, with many volunteering to join the Regiment Joseph Napoleon in french service.

Romana replaced Blake as the Head of the Galician Forces after Espinosa. He assisted Sir John Moore in the Corunna campaign and remained active in the North until November 1809 when he replaced Del Parque as Head of the Army of the Left. Failed to save Sevile in 1810. Died of a heart condition while trying to relieve Badajoz.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; July 13, 2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Essling View Post
    Romana's Division got shipped back by the Royal Navy to Galicia (p83 The Spanish Ulcer by David Gates) and formed part of the Army of Galicia. Romana replaced Blake as the Head of the Galician Forces after Espinosa. He assisted Sir John Moore in the Corunna campaign and remained active in the North until November 1809 when he replaced Del Parque as Head of the Army of the Left. Failed to save Sevile in 1810. Died ofheart condition while trying to relieve Badajoz.
    So the Devision basicly lost it's identity when it rejoined Spain?

Patrician

So the Devision basicly lost it's identity when it rejoined Spain?
    Romana's Division originally comprised: Infantry regiments (each 3 battalions) Asturias, Princesca, Guadalaxara & Zamora; Light Infantry Regiments: 2nd battalion Voluntarios de Catalunia, 1st battalion Voluntarios de Barcelona; Cavalry Regiments Del rey, Infante & Algarve; Dragoon regiments Alamansa & Villaviciosa.

Have combed various Orbats for the Spanish from the Nafziger depository & other sources.

As at 31 October 1808 the infantry Princesa, Zamora, 2nd Vol de Catalunia & 1st Vol de Barcelona formed the 5th Division of the Army of Galicia under Romana; by December they became the 5th Division of the Army of the Left. As to the fate of the cavalry the Orbats appear silent - some may have been merged into a mixed unit, and the non-mounted men moved into the infantry/being rehorsed?

By October/November 1809 the infantry regiments were in Del Parque's Army - Zamora was in the 2nd Division under Conde de Belvedere, Princesca was in the 3rd Division under Francisco Ballesteros. No sign of 2nd Vol de Catalunia & 1st Vol de Barcelona, though there is a 2nd of Catalunia shown in the Vanguard Division under La Carrera.

On 14 June 1810 some of the units were in the Army of the Left - Zamora was in the 2nd Division under O'Donnell; Princesca in the 3rd Division under Ballesteros. There is a 2nd of Catalunia shown in the Vanguard Division under de Campo, and a 1st of Barcelona in the 1st Division also under de Campo. (Nafziger lists Gomez de Arteche y Moro's La Guerra de Independencia as the source).

The Rey Cavalry Regiment resurfaces in Loy's Division at the battle of Saguntum on 18 October 1811; the Princesca infantry regiment was also at the battle in Villacampa's Division of the 2nd or Army of Valencia.

Looking at Esdaile, in November 1812 the 2nd Vol de Catalunia was in Bassecourt's Division of Elio's 2nd Army, 2nd de Princesca was in Villacampa's Division under Elio, the 2nd de Zamora is listed under Depot Division of Palacio's 4th (Andalusia) Army; the 1st de Princesca in Espana's Division of Castanos' 5th army. The Almansa Dragoons are listed with Whittingham.s Division de Mallorca in Alicante.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; July 13, 2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Additional info

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

I've added a poll regarding whether or not some of my units should appear in the Peninsular DLC. Tell me what you think.
    Yes - at least those that served in the Peninsular War. Could you also make units of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Spain? Someone posted pics of them somewhere on the forum recently.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Yes - at least those that served in the Peninsular War. Could you also make units of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Spain? Someone posted pics of them somewhere on the forum recently.
    I'll try, but their uniforms don't look very attractive or resemble France's.

Patrician

See my post at 41 of this thread for uniform info.

The 3 foot guard regiments (Grenadiers, Fusiliers and/or Tirailleurs and/or Voltigeurs - sources conflict, with most saying Grenadiers, Fusiliers and Tirailleurs) of King Joseph's army were dressed as their French counterparts but with a yellow & red cockade - see Osprey Men At Arms no 51; Pivka's Armies of the Napoleonic Wars; Haythornthwaite's Napoleonic source Book; Blanford's Uniforms of the Peninsula War; Osprey Men at Arms No 334 (gives uniform details for Voltigeurs of the Guard whereas the others mention Tirailleurs); Embleton's Military dress of the Peninsula War (mentions Grenadiers, Tirailleurs & Voltigeurs).

The guard artillery (1 battery of horse and 1 battery of foot) was dressed as per their French counterparts.

While trawling the internet I found part of an interesting article in the Soldats Napoleoniens journal at http://www.editions-napoleon.com/dyn...p?num=78&typ=2 which suggests that some of the information on King Joseph's Army is wrong due to Lienhart and Humbert who assumed that the facings were the same as the Bourbon Regiments of the same origin. The article says that light infantry uniforms should be blue with red distinctions; the 7th Regiment of Lancers de la Mancha in fact belonged to the Central Spanish Junta.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; July 13, 2010 at 04:57 PM.

Nice one Batman I was wondering if you could make some of Napoleon's baltic troops and maybe some dutch and belgian troops I also found out that he had a german legion with white french fusileer outfits im sorry to come whining but i dont have a clue when it comes to modding
    .......... ..........
    PC Specs
    Intel Core i7 975 @3.33GHz (8 CPUs)
    12288MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Razer Anansi Keyboard
    Razer Mamba Mouse
    NZXT Tower
    Viewsonic VA2245a Monitor

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Did the Portuguese Legion fight in Portugal and/or Spain?
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Patrician

As a general rule No. History of the Unit as set out in Osprey Men at Arms " The Portuguese Army vol2"

From 16 January 1808 three numbered line regiments and two cavalry regiments were formed from part of the disbanded Portuguese army.
    On 20 February a 3rd Cavalry and 4th and 5th Infantry regiments and a battalion of light infantry were ordered formed, the light unit from the remnants of the Legion of Light Troops (qv). This new Portuguese army in French service was put under the command of the Marquis of Alorna, who was given general's rank. On 21 March 1808 Napoleon ordered all Portuguese troops 'formed or not' - about 8,000 men - to march out of Portugal through Spain to Bayonne and Languedoc in southern France. Some elements remained with the French army in Spain, notably the light infantry battalion at the first siege of Zaragoza, but it was thought wiser to reorganise the Portuguese army in France, further from home. On 18 May this command was renamed as a legion within the Grande Armée, to be formed in southern France. The Portuguese Legion was to have six light infantry regiments of six companies of 140 men each; and two regiments of mounted chasseurs having four squadrons, each with two companies of 100 men. All elements were gathered at Grenoble and Gray during that summer, but only five infantry regiments could be formed by August. In March 1809 a temporary '13th Elite Provisional Half-Brigade' was formed from the Legion's grenadier and voltigeur companies, and fought with distinction at Wagram (5-6 July). By the time the rest of the Legion reached Austria the campaign was over, and it returned to its depot at Grenoble.
    On 2 May 1811 the establishment was again reduced, no doubt for lack of recruits, to three infantry regiments and one regiment of mounted chasseurs. In June 1812 the whole Legion marched into Russia, its regiments dispersed between various corps. They fought at Krasnoe (14 August), Smolensk (17 August), Polotsk (18 August) and Borodino (7 September); but most of the Legion was lost in the disastrous winter retreat. In April 1813 there remained 965 officers and men including 131 cavalrymen. The cavalry was disbanded and all survivors were mustered into a temporary depot battalion. Grumbling and desertion increased; on 8 October 1813 the troops were disarmed, and on 25 November the Portuguese Legion was formally disbanded. The men were not released from service but were to be formed into a pioneer battalion

No, they did participate in the siege of Sargoza in 1808 en route to France, but otherwise they were stationed and fought in Germany.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

I usually don't have problems with mods but..heh of course the one I want to use it's going to be trouble.

I placed the main file into my data folder in the nappy folder, in the user.script I placed the Foreign_Legions_Mod.pack; (just like that) in and yet...I has no foreign units.

Quote Originally Posted by CK23 View Post
    I usually don't have problems with mods but..heh of course the one I want to use it's going to be trouble.

I placed the main file into my data folder in the nappy folder, in the user.script I placed the Foreign_Legions_Mod.pack; (just like that) in and yet...I has no foreign units.
    You need to enter in this: mod "Foreign_Legions_mod.pack";

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

You need to enter in this: mod "Foreign_Legions_mod.pack";
    bah forgive my stupidity, it has been such a long time since I've done work with nappy. I apologize.
    Last edited by CK23; July 16, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Good Idea

Cheers

Is it possible to disable some units in the pack, I have doubles and grenadier guards are not French, but British troops wrongly put in the french faction, or are they ment to be there? Also there are several typos in the unit cards, and several have very little information, I would be glad to help here where I can, but I do not know how edit them. Great mod BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHorseCav View Post
    Is it possible to disable some units in the pack, I have doubles and grenadier guards are not French, but British troops wrongly put in the french faction, or are they ment to be there? Also there are several typos in the unit cards, and several have very little information, I would be glad to help here where I can, but I do not know how edit them. Great mod BTW.
    I think you're thinking of Hannoverian Grenadiers, they wore red uniforms like the Brits and Hannoverians there before their creation.
    About the cards, for the most part, I copied and pasted from some Napoleonic website and filled in some information myself that wasn't on the site. You need to open the UPC loc and scroll down to the lowest entries, then you can edit them.