Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Released - Aristeia: The Epic Cycle - yes it is mod-foldered

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Released!!! - Aristeia: The Epic Cycle - yes it is mod-foldered

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    this mod looks very interesting! I don not know how I missed this mod?? shame on me!!!
    WELL YOUR IN FOR A GOOD TIME , this mod is tops

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Aristeia is based on the Iliad, not Bronze Age history.
    boar tusks helmet (Il. X 265-270)

Ajax the Great's shield (Il. VII, 220-223) and (Il. VII, 245-246) ...Homer doesn't say clearly that is an "eight shield" but is made of ox hide and bronze like the mycenaeans ones ...

Anyway Aristeia is a great mod, I really like it. Congratulations to the community's developers

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Only played some custom battles and so far I am astounded at the detail on the units!! We certainly have talented modders on TWC, well done to the team and +rep

Is there a way I can play this with RS2??

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by juandi1942 View Post
    RS2 is a separate mod and that means another modFOLDER. How could you play one mod with another one included? Your phrase is absurd from the start.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by juandi1942 View Post
    copy your clean installation folder to somewhere else and install RSII at there, Aristeia is fully mod-foldered and can be installed on basic, untouched vanilla....

but .... maybe you can try installing Aristeia OVER RSII, just be prepared to have several animation differences, and such, (Aristeia don't use much elements of vanilla, it's safe anyway)

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanax View Post
    boar tusks helmet (Il. X 265-270)

Ajax the Great's shield (Il. VII, 220-223) and (Il. VII, 245-246) ...Homer doesn't say clearly that is an "eight shield" but is made of ox hide and bronze like the mycenaeans ones ...

Anyway Aristeia is a great mod, I really like it. Congratulations to the community's developers
    We took a deliberate design decision to base the graphical style on the late Greek Dark Ages/early classical period, roughly the period 600-500 BC. The reason is that this was the period in which the Iliad in its current form emerged. The Iliad was based on a long tradition of poetry, and so of course it contained a lot of fossilised imagery that was often very obsolete - the boar tusk helmet being a good example. Another case is the description of chariot warfare. It was demonstrated a few years ago by the historian Hans van Wees that Homer's description of chariot warfare was actually a description of contemporary cavalry warfare from the period 600-500 BC, except with chariots added in. Poets and used a lot of terminology and imagery from much earlier periods because of the demands and expectations of the epic genre, but it's really quite likely (for example) that someone of Homer's time wouldn't really know what a boar's tusk helmet looked like. They would just know that it traditionally appeared in poetic descriptions of warriors.

So we decided to try to visualise the Iliad in the way that people in the early classical period - the time when it was produced - would have visualised it. We looked at a lot of visual art from the period that depicted epic scenes (especially paintings on pottery) and were also influenced by other examples of early classical armour and weapons that survive. Unfortunately, with something like Aristeia you're always going to get people arguing about what the style should be, and the Bronze Age fanboys obviously don't like the fact that this isn't a game about the Bronze Age. What you have to remember, though, is that the Iliad isn't really about the Bronze Age either. The poem is notionally set in that period, and uses a lot of traditional poetic language from that period, but really the poet and his audience visualised the story as if it was set in their own contemporary time of ca. 600-500 BC.

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea View Post
    So we decided to try to visualise the Iliad in the way that people in the early classical period - the time when it was produced - would have visualised it.
    Thanks for the explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    copy your clean installation folder to somewhere else and install RSII at there, Aristeia is fully mod-foldered and can be installed on basic, untouched vanilla....

but .... maybe you can try installing Aristeia OVER RSII, just be prepared to have several animation differences, and such, (Aristeia don't use much elements of vanilla, it's safe anyway)
    Thank you so much! God bless you!

hey guys! how do I change unit scale? It has been taken down in the options meny, why? I only haw 60 soldier in one unit an it kinda sucks sin e it will not be as epic as it should be : / Any submod that adds more?

i saw that thing about hero units, that you did a large scale patch. hehe but could you do a huge army to? I don´t mind if the hero has units to. It´s more realistic than to take a hole unit by himself : / And also it´s more realistic with more units. it wont lag dude Playing dartmod shogun 2 and i´m 100% sure that mod is more demanding than this one xD
    Last edited by The dead one; February 04, 2012 at 08:07 PM.

greeat! i'm back to playing rtw after a long break, and this is where i'll start! this is definitely my favorite mod

how do i play the mod windowed? adding -ne to the shorcut doesnt work for me... =(

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

does your command line look like this "C:\Program Files (86)\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia -ne

Finally got a computer that should be able to handle Aristeia in all its glory. Timing couldn't be better - just finished my Classics Moderations at Oxford (including an Iliad paper) and can think of nothing better to do over the holidays than a hell of a lot of Iliad-based gaming. Cannot wait for this!

I need help getting the app to start. I installed it to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/rome total war gold. An "aristeia" folder has appeared in the RTW folder (with minimal entries, such as preferences) and in the Alexander subfolder (with all of the game files). I created an Alexander shortcut and under properties changed the target to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia

When I start the application it opens up the red RTW intro screen with the logos, as opposed to the purple ATW intro screen with logos. It stays on this screen and never goes any further.

Help?

becouse of the unit shades i can't play the battles for long couse i get an error with don't send..and if i stop the shades from the video options i get the error without evan fighting in the battle just after loading..please it's a great mod can you help me to stop having unit shades??i would really be graceful

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God View Post
    Finally got a computer that should be able to handle Aristeia in all its glory. Timing couldn't be better - just finished my Classics Moderations at Oxford (including an Iliad paper) and can think of nothing better to do over the holidays than a hell of a lot of Iliad-based gaming. Cannot wait for this!
    Congratulations! I took Mods myself, and I can remember what sort of hell it was. Just wait until you get to Greats though - no exam will ever seem threatening after that. Which college are you at?

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang View Post
    Despite TWC's best efforts to delay the release, here it is. In the event that TWC goes down again remember that TEC is available from strategy informer and also the moddb.

The Epic Cycle is a full new release.
    (aristeia 2.0)

Feature List Summary
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1) New campaign - Cypria 112Da
    2) New campaign - Iliad 121Da
    3) New faction - House of Thyestes
    4) New units
    5) New unique heroes
    6) Bug fixes
    7) New set of culture specific generals portraits
    8) Vastly improved in game lighting
    9) Unit balancing changes
    10) Campaign balancing changes
    11) Some unit re-texturing
    12) New UI
    13) Much more....

READ THIS CAREFULLY!

Installation Instructions

THIS MOD REQUIRES RTW - ALEXANDER TO WORK
    (note - if you have the steam version please read this topic)

Needless to say if you have a previous version of aristeia installed then navigate to your aristeia folder and move or delete it before installing this version.

1) Download the mod from the following links:-
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2) Install the mod to your "Rome - Total War" folder, usually located within your 'activision' or 'creative assembly' folders depending on what version of RTW you have.

3) Play the mod through the shortcut generated on your desktop after installation.

4) Come back to these forums with your feedback, screen-shots or any bugs you find after consulting the FAQ which I recommend you read while the download is in progress.

5) If you like the mod, feel free to rep me and the team.

6) Note - once again I forgot to reduce the resolution before uploading, you may need to change it in your preferences file if you don't have an HD monitor.

WARNING - If you use the auto-detect settings button then you may knock off the one-man units. If this happens navigate to your preferences file and change the unit_size property back to 40.

Enjoy!!!
    Didn't get around to this mod until late, but did get around to it.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the work, well done.

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered before, but does anyone know if/where I can download the mod files for 2.0 without the .exe program? My current gaming computer is not hooked up to the internet, so I have no way of installing the mod. Any help would be much appreciated.

Never mind. Got it figured out. Great game! (So much more than a "mod.")
    Last edited by Cyprian2; September 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM.

i can't start any campaign,when 5% of the loading bar it just CTD!!