Thread: "Art of Management"

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default "Art of Management"

As I read 'the Art of War by Sun Tzu' and 'the Understanding of Art of War' inorder to better understand how to make M2TW mods more reall -- I came to the point where I was entriuged to find an "Art of War -version" to handle settlements and the civil side of (total) war.

Is there such written work by a governor in war which reflect Sun Tzu's excellence in management, that you would recommend?

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: "Art of Management"

There's The Prince which deals with politics; gaining, keeping, and expanding power.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks, Rep+ almost forgot that one.

I'm also seeking further knowledge on medieval War drafts and such.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

i've read a few Robert Greene books which draw from many military writers especially in regards to management. he's pretty good.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    i've read a few Robert Greene books which draw from many military writers especially in regards to management. he's pretty good.
    However, rumour has it that Robert Greene's handling of such matters is decidedly dodgy, and simple management issues that should be easily fielded, instead go through his hands.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Rumoured by who? Was it that guy pannponian again spreading rumours with no sources to back it up?

~Wille

Couldn't help but notice that no one mentioned On War.

Even though its from completely different era then from the one you want to learn from but it has revised segments from Art of War, so there you go.
    Parcus es vinco of fecal res
    "The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." Tesla
    "France has more need of me than I have need of France." Napoleon
    "Its better to fight for something then live for nothing." Patton