Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Whiff of Sulphur - WHITE

Default Re: Whiff of Sulphur - WHITE

The variable for that one is life_range ='variance (x,y)'

where x = seconds and y = random seconds. I have had trouble with any effect staying longer then x = 60 seconds

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

So if I use variance (10,5) it means it will stay randomly between 10 and 15 seconds?

For the thickness, the value was variance (2, 0.5). How does it work there? You mentionned 0.7 only

Also, what about guns? They produce a LOT of smoke, and it stays long. How to reduce that? Does it use the same smoke as musket?
    Last edited by Steph; July 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM.

(10,5) will stay from 5 to 15 seconds.
    It looks like I did the thickness before I understood the variable. Max thickness is 1. 0.7 is what I use in my personal version.

I believe I used the effect landgun_med_3_small for cannons (I have toyed around with this effect in my personal version since)

Patrician Artifex

Well, I tried to edit that, but I still have a large small clouds hovering above my guns for quite some time. Any hint? What life range should I change?

I like the relatively heavy smoke, but I'd like it to dissipate much faster.

You might have to look through all the associated effects to figure out which one is doing it. In this case, you are looking for a LandGunFire effect group - there are several, LandGunFire_Howitzer for example. Each effect group has sub effects. One of those sub effects is lasting too long for you (over 60 seconds), but you have to look at each one to see which. My notes say that the effects I used to do what you are talking about are cannon_hit_smoke_small and landgun_med_3_small, but my notes aren't version-specific and I have been editing landbattles well past the last mod I published.

Here is an example of one of the LandGunFire effect groups. Yours will probably look a bit different, but the first line will be the same (and can be searched)

<SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP name='LandGunFire' >
    <EFFECT_GROUP_AMBIENT_SETTINGS name='Ambient Settings' spawn_interval='100.000000' cell_size='10.000000' cell_count='1.000000' wind_offset='0.000000' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='landgun_med_1' effect='landgun_med_1' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='landgun_med_3' effect='landgun_med_3' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='landgun_fastsmoke' effect='landgun_fastsmoke' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='explodesmall_glow' effect='explodesmall_glow' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='cannon_fire_distortion' effect='cannon_fire_distortion' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='sparks_cannon' effect='sparks_cannon' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='cannon_fire_particle_ring_small' effect='cannon_fire_particle_ring_small' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='landgun_med_2_whispy' effect='landgun_med_2_whispy' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='landgun_med_3_small' effect='landgun_med_3_small' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='cannon_hit_smoke_small' effect='cannon_hit_smoke_small' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='landgun_ground_smoke' effect='landgun_ground_smoke' />
    <SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP_ENTRY name='blast' effect='blast' />
    </SCRIPTED_EFFECT_GROUP>

Best smoke mod for NTW.
    Thanks!

Patrician Artifex

I think I'm starting to get what I want.

I did a search on life_range, and seriously reduced it when it was a large value.

I still have the dense smoke I light, and if you keep firing your guns it will become denser. But if you stop firing, it will dissipate after a few seconds.

Thanks for all your help with that.

MissionMaximus's Avatar Foederatus

Best looking smoke mod I have ever seen, it looks unbelievably real. I used WOF Full and I couldn't see a damn thing.
    God bless, George Washington and the Founding Fathers of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!

Simply awesome. Adds a lot to the game. Great work.

Carcass and Quicklime effects improved and now show ground hits?

Carcass shells burned for 11 minutes right after being shot and even after impact, do they burn the ground when they drop on grass, bushes and whatever, and buldings?

Quicklime to my knowledge was not made to impact, it self-exploded in the air creating a caustic cloud melting human flesh.

Previously, ground hits for carcass and quicklime did nothing because the impact entries were blank. I enabled what CA had and polished them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rikktherek View Post
    Previously, ground hits for carcass and quicklime did nothing because the impact entries were blank. I enabled what CA had and polished them a bit.
    Ok, wasn't trying to be inquisitive or anything like that. So i'm sorry if i did came off like that.

One other thing why the NER versions are not added in the main page? do they contain the same as the 3.1 version or more?

Miles

Very much like the added realism provided by this mod. Was in a battle last night where it was quite difficult to peer into the smoke and discern just what was going on.

However, something odd happened that I think results from your mod - I say that as it first appeared only after adding Whiff of Sulfur. I'm fighting the Italian Campaign and whenever the Piedmontese fire off a "7pdr Howitzer" (possibly other guns do this also, but this one I actually verified) I get a visual of a 20' in diameter fireball instead of a shell. Once it hits the ground things revert back to normal, but these things are huge and bright and look like something belonging in a scifi game.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Maybe I have some graphics option set oddly?

That is the effect you get when the game tries to animate something it doesn't understand. Most likely, you have a mod that uses an effect name that doesn't appear in the vanilla list. (My guess there is something different in db\projectiles for the 2nd last entry for the line howitzer_7_pounder_shell. If you set that cell to explode_generic_small it should work...just a guess, though and I recommend backing up any files you plan to change.)

Miles

Thank you so much for the fast and helpful response. Getting back into NTW I have been experimenting with several things and you mod was to be the icing on the cake. With your response I think I know exactly where the problem is hiding.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Wow, this is amazing work.
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

So there is no Whiff of Sulphur for Empire Total War?

@AndariusHaliusScipio Check page 9

Are these stand alone mods or can i use these 4 at the same time?
    Last edited by Ishiro; January 31, 2012 at 06:27 PM.

I really like and appreciate your work. THe dust however is too much for me. I can't see the troops during melee. Also, in snow and rain there shouldn't be dust let alone dust clouds that almost obsure units. I know this is huge labor and don't want to complain but is there a way to keep all other effects without so much dust and dust in snow and rain?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

1) I never made a mod for Empire. I have one for my own personal use, but wouldn't be able to support it.

2) All the mods are stand-alone.

3) The multiplayer version removes the smoke from melee and walking. If you still want some, there is file you have to edit. Fortunately, that file is easy to alter. I'll give you directions if the no-dust thing isn't working out.

Cheers