Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Forts: Everything you need to know about permanent, stone and/or buildable forts

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Forts: Everything you need to know about permanent, stone and/or buildable forts

Ok, so let me just conclude if what I get from this tutorial is correct...

A. possible campaign model = 7 (same as max culture)
    B. possible battle model = not really limited

So say... if I want to use a normal city model for a PSF.. do I just switch the cmm model to the same as a city and then copy / rename the standard city files ?
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forts: Everything you need to know about permanent, stone and/or buildable forts

I guess you will have to do some editing of the world files as well.

ok, i've been testing this... what I want to do is to use PSFs to represent minor settlements so we can have more settlement on the map than 199, so I want both castle and town models type and use invisible agent to name... so far...

Agent goes along fine, that part is actually the easiest...

camapaing model, I decided to use shrinked version of normal settlements (shrink about 30% so you can tell the difference from normal onces) this part is fairly simplistic and also done without much problem.

but the problem now comes with battlemap model... I read the tutorial and try to follow the steps one by one, but i seem to miss something. here's what I done step by step..

A. take the large town folder from data\settlements\middle_eastern\settlements in the vanilla folder.
    B. copy to my data\settlements\middle_eastern\ambient_settlements folder, rename it and all the files inside to me_town_a
    C. use the hex editor and make the changes.

but it crashes the game when I start (doesn't even get to the main screen, it CTD on start simliar to a BMDB error), what am I doing wrong? I upload the folder I used .. I'm guessing it must be something wrong in the hex editor process but I can't seem to figure out what.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Blog Entries

Best to ask the guys that are busy with the IWTE project. They should be able to explain which files need to be modded how.
    We did it the way you describe it in the 1648 mod, but the guy that modified the files isn't around for a while.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

1. system log: check your log, gotta do that if you;re editing world files or you'll get nothing but aggravation. If game is crashing on startup it's probably a worldpkgdesc file..the log will tell you exactly what file is crashing game. Bad world files won't CTD until you load a battle.

Without checking your log everything is just speculation, and can waste a lot of time guessing, I learned that a long time ago the hard way.

I look at your 7z and see if I spot anything. You can't just move settlements around to folders without editing the pkg files to the proper paths to the world models.

"camapaing model" = strat model?

EDIT: you wrote your world model to txt but didn't edit the paths for the files in your new folder, these will need to be standalone as you will need a different pathfinding file, at least, because techtree slots will be open areas when using settlements as forts.
    :
    90 settlements/Middle_Eastern/Settlements/large_town/middle_eastern_large_town_A.worldTerrain
    94 settlements/Middle_Eastern/Settlements/large_town/middle_eastern_large_town_A.worldPathfinding
    93 settlements/Middle_Eastern/Settlements/large_town/middle_eastern_large_town_A.worldVegetation

Example: 85 Settlements/Middle_Eastern/ambient_settlements/me_town_a/me_town_a.worldPathfinding (character counts must be correct)

You need to edit those properly and then write the txt to binary with IWTE

EDIT 2. Your worldpkg file is FUBAR dude...like I said your log would have told you that. Every package file is checked on game start and if one single character count is wrong, CTD.

I'm working on a different world file today, give me a few and I'll reup your 7z as a functional standalone fort, and show you what you did wrong.
    Last edited by wolfslayer; May 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

thx man, i though you only need to hex edit the path in the pkg file..

I fixed and tested in a battle, works fine, will upload tonite when I get back and you can test. Remember pkgdesc files are HEX, not txt files, so all editing must be done in a hex editor.

I just did basic pathfinding in IWTE for the empty techtree areas, but played well in battle.

I'll post a screen of the pkg file too, PSFs placed in desc_strat need to be done a certain way, different that buildable forts...you can use my upload for a template if you want to mod any more towns, villages etc,...

Screens are from a campaign battle I had saved with a large town so things look a little different in ME terrain.

Here you go RW, the pkgdesc file is fairly easy to figure out, PSFs don't use "wooden_fort" as variant, only buildable ones. fortificationlevel for large_town/stone_keep/city should be 2; as long as you use "me_town_a" "culture middle_eastern: in desc_strat, this version should work fine as long as its placed on a valid tile..

wow, thx a ton wolf, I'll try to rep you again when I can. I'll mimiced the hex of the other fort pkgdesc file (though those were not PSF but buuildable onces) which was possiblly part of the problem i guess.

ok, another question, if I placea fort in my region, but want to assign it to rebels, how do I do it? I tried so far but seem to get this...

and even after a turn the rebels won't take the castle... hmmm...

Blog Entries

You can't script them direct into the forts is my guess, same like with regular settlements assigned to other factions. Spawn them next to it and then script them to move to the co-ordinate of the fort at the beginning of the game - that should work. Do it with 'PreFactionTurnStart' so that all the animations don't delay the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You can't script them direct into the forts is my guess, same like with regular settlements assigned to other factions. Spawn them next to it and then script them to move to the co-ordinate of the fort at the beginning of the game - that should work. Do it with 'PreFactionTurnStart' so that all the animations don't delay the game.
    ahhh... so something like this for all cross holdings?

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    and I_TurnNumber = 1

spawn_army
    faction slave
    character xxxx, named character, age 40, x 231, y 248, direction S, battle_model Eastern_General, portrait saladin, label Samarra_Rebel
    NaturalMilitarySkill 1 , GoodCommander 1 , BattleDread 1
    unit ME Bodyguard exp 5 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

move samarra_rebel, 250, 255 ;for xxxxx

end_monitor
    lets see if that works.. hmmm

hmm.. don't work... I hae this so far.

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    and I_TurnNumber = 0

spawn_army
    faction slave
    character Karim, named character, age 23, x 395, y 98 direction S, battle_model Eastern_General, portrait saladin, label Samarra_Rebel
    traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , NaturalMilitarySkill 1 , BattleDread 1
    unit Arabian Faris exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit ME Spear Militia exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit ME Spear Militia exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Ramey exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Bedouin Infantry exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Bedouin Infantry exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType slave
    and I_TurnNumber = 1
    and I_CharacterExists Samarra_Rebel

move Samarra_Rebel, 395, 97
    terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    but they never move to the fort :/ I'll try a few other things like starting them slightly further away or use near tile line I guess.

I guess I could just put a rebel region pixel on that spot to start.. though that is a rather meh way to tackling things.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Buildable and permanent forts
    As can be deducted from what we have done in the aforementioned sections, it is possible to have both permanent and buildable stone forts at the same time! Moreover, it is possible to have the same forts both (1) available for construction by generals, as well as (2) placed manually on the battle map. Although you can make many different stone forts available for each culture, it is possible only to assign one fort per culture to be buildable. Thus, in order to have different fort models per culture, you have to place a variety on the campaign map yourself, and subsequently select another one to be buildable.

Also remember that it is not very practical to have buildable, destroyable forts and at the same time place many of them on the campaign map (since they will disappear when not garrisoned after one turn).
    I though that having PSF makes existance of buildble ones imposible.
    So is what the quote states true?
    Can a mod have 2-3 forts as permanent and one available for generals to build even if it gets destroyed after the army apsence?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

ok here's a stupid question again, I'm want my for to basically just look like smaller version of normal settlements (i had wanted normaly size onces but then realize that it both takes up too much space and also being completely indistinguishable is not totally ideal .

but the result look like this

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

the model is good enough pending minor edits, but the banner is eeek.

so how do i fix that?

Edit: nevermind I realized how, just delete the symbol entry in the ms3d groups and it's fine
    Last edited by RollingWave; May 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Reading that post, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...04#post6431404, I'm wondering if it works with buildable forts as well.

Follow the first steps and add the wooden forts option for each culture in the descr_campaign_db.xml and in the descr_cultures.txt files, would it add the buildable wooden forts available? Has anyone ever tried this?

The idea is to give the choice for a general to build a watch tower or a wooden fort or a stone fort.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; January 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

There is no choice between stone or wood fort as the files for the building are global.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I've seen similar comments as AnthoniusII posted in several other threads.
    Also, according to impspy post, it's possible to mix permanent wooden and stone forts.
    That's why I'm wondering.

So basically, what you're saying is that I can't mix the fort types due to the "build" function. I'm not sure to understand it in the right way. I've to check that more carefully.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Hello mans! need some help, I'm adding retrofit mod, and my problem is that in the second round, the units rebedes out of forts. how to let the rebels fixed within the fort? Thanks in advance.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast