Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Forts: Everything you need to know about permanent, stone and/or buildable forts

Laetus

Default Forts: Everything you need to know about permanent, stone and/or buildable forts

Disclaimer

Disclaimer
    First of all: I am no MTW2-modder, although I think I know what I’m doing. My initial motivation for finding out what to do to get (1) permanent/temporary stone forts in game, (2) let generals build stone forts and (3) play battles in stone forts rather than those wooden thingy’s, was the wonderful work KingKong and his colleagues did on the more than excellent Third Age: Total War modification for MTW2. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I craved for building forts at some strategic points. And since no-one seemed to know how to do this (or openly shared this information), I decided to figure it out on my own.

Moreover, since all the information appeared to be scattered all over the forum, I chose to create this tutorial, hopefully to be of service to others. In doing so (and in continuously being a modification-newbie), I drew on all kinds of information that I found in my ‘quest’. Although this tutorial is my own and I made it from scratch (without textual input from others whatsoever), I couldn’t have done it without…
    - Wolfslayer, for his posts and topics on adding forts to the game, as well as on HEX
    - the useful questions of Furin, which made me rethink some stuff
    - the tutorial of Göteborgare, for confirming what I already figured out on my own
    - and some of the posts of Gigantus, adding to my understanding of ingame forts.
    So thank you all J. For purposes of completeness, I added a bunch of links at the bottom of this post. These are not only links to discussions about the stone forts, but also links to excellent forts made available by Wolfslayer, for instance.

If you have questions, comments or remarks, please do not hesitate and just post in this topic, so I can clarify some sections or even add more information .

Enjoy!
    UraniumAtom

For starters
    This tutorial aims at combining all the information about stone forts in game (MTW2:Kingdoms v1.5): (1) placing permanent/temporary (i.e. destructible) stone forts on the campaign map, (2) building permanent/temporary (i.e. destructible) stone forts on the campaign map, (3) linking specific fort models to specific cultures/factions, and (4) linking the forts built by generals to stone instead of wood battle map models. This tutorial will cover all these four topics.

First, I will begin by elaborating on how to activate buildable forts. Next, I will provide extensive information about the battle map models and how to add (stone) battle map fort models to the game. Third, attention will go to several files concerning the campaign map and campaign settings. Fourth and final, valuable links will be provided, as well as a Q&A.

Laetus

Default Activate buildable forts

Activate buildable forts
    When you want to be able to build forts during your campaign, follow the instructions in this section. If you are not interested, you can skip this part and move on to the section considering the campaign map model.

First of all, go to “descr_campaign_db.xml”. This file can be found at the following (default) location: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\[my_mod_name]\data

The second step is opening the file. I would recommend using notepad for this.

Third, scroll down (somewhere in the middle), right below the entry <settlement>. Alternatively, you could press CTRL+F in notepad, and then type ‘fort’; this way, you search the entries containing the word ‘fort’, which are the entries we need J.

Then, scroll down a bit until you see the following lines:
    Code:
    <destroy_empty_forts bool="false"/>
    <can_build_forts bool="false"/>
    <fort_fortification_level string="3"/>
    Now, as you can see in the second line, forts cannot be build by generals. If you want to be able to build forts ingame, change the phrase false into true. Leave the quotes (“)! Now, save your changes in notepad and you are done!
    Last edited by UraniumAtom; May 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo

Laetus

Default Battle map model (bmm)

Battle map model
    Editing the battle map models (bmm) is a different cup of tea. It basically comes down to this: correct placement of the models and a little bit of modifying with an HEX-editor. Let me walk you through it.

Stone battle map models
    You first of all need a stone battle map model (bmm) to place in your mod folder. To have stone bmm’s at your disposal, you need to install the Crusade and British Isle campaigns, available in the MTW2:Kingdoms expansion. Subsequently, you have to move some of the folders to the ‘my-mod-name’-folder, as we are constantly doing. I’m not going into detail over this option, since Gigantus already explained how to do this (i.e. how to make stone models available; how to make them buildable and available to you will be covered in the rest of my tutorial, see e.g. under ‘placement’). You can read Gigantus’ tutorial here.

Another option is to download a mod which makes theses stone models available to you (like Zuma’s mod) and move the files to the ‘my_mod_name’-folder. I used this option when I was figuring this all out on my own, but in hindsight recommend using Gigantus’ method when you want more forts to be available to you.

Placement
    All fort models should initially be placed in “X:\...\mods\[ my_mod_name]\data\settlements\...”, where ‘X’ is the HD-drive you installed MTW2:Kingdoms in, and ‘[my_mod_name]’ is the name of the mod given to that folder. Wait to do so though, as there is more to explain.
    On my hard drive (as with most people, I guess), the installation path is as follows:
    C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\[ my_mod_name]\data\settlements\...

In the settlements folder, each culture (Northern/Southern/Eastern European, Middle Eastern, Greek and Meso American) has its own folder and files. When you want to assign a specific fort model to a culture (either to all cultures or only one culture), you have to create a specific folder for that culture and place the files in that folder. For purposes of completeness, I added an overview below J. Please note the specific folder names; when you fail to name the folder correctly, the fort models will not show correctly ingame! (the bold folders are the ones you should create)

Northern European: \...\data\settlements\north_european\ambient_settlements\
    Southern European: \...\data\settlements\south_european\ambient_settlements\
    Eastern European: \...\data\settlements\east_european\ambient_settlements\
    Middle Eastern: \...\data\settlements\middle_eastern\ambient_settlements\
    Greek: \...\data\settlements\greek\ambient_settlements\
    Meso American: I did not test this, yet. It has been suggested this entry can be used (in some instances) to have both wooden and stone forts at the same time. See Impspy’s tutorial for more details.

Your fort folder with the models can be placed in the ambient_settlements map of each of the culture folders. Please do not place files directly within the ambient settlements folder, because this will fail. For instance, if you want a particular fort model to be buildable for Greek cultures, you have to create a folder named ‘greek’ and within it a folder named ‘ambient_settlements’; subsequently you place the fort folder in the ‘ambient_settlements’-map, thus resulting in: \...\data\settlements\greek\ambient_settlements\[fort_folder]\

Even if you want the same model to be buildable for multiple cultures, it is still required to create a folder for each culture and add multiple copies of the fort folder! For example, if you want a particular fort model (e.g. stone_fort_a) to be buildable for both Greek and Middle Eastern cultures, you have to create a folder titled ‘stone_fort_a’ in both the \greek\ambient_settlements\ and middle_eastern\ambient_settlements\ folders.

You can add as much forts as you want. When you are done, please proceed to the next step.

HEX-editor
    The only thing that is left for us to do now, is to somehow match the default buildable fort with a specific faction and a specific battle map model. Many different versions of fort battle map models have been made, and it would be nice to have some diversification (i.e. middle eastern typed buildings for Islamic factions, for instance).

As I have said before, the battle map models have nothing to do with the all the .txt-files you can find in the map ‘data’. In the beginning this appeared slightly odd to me, and I have spent a lot of time searching for some kind of solution in the .txt-files. One would or could, for instance, expect to assign forts the same way as models on the battle map. However, in the end, it appeared to be a little more complex than that.

First you will have to browse to your fort folder(s). You will find your stone fort models at the location we assigned them in the ‘placement’-section of this tutorial. Every fort’s battle map model is accompanied by a bunch of files, most of which are texture files. One of these files we are going to edit with an HEX-editor: “[fort_name].worldpkgdesc”, where [name] is the name of the fort model (e.g., ‘stone_fort_a’, ‘knightly_order_fort_b’ or ‘me_fort_a’). What we are going to do now is edit this file, so the game knows which forts to use. Before we can do so, you must download an HEX-editor; I would recommend this one (XVI32), a version that is widely used as you can see on the webpage.

Open the HEX-editor and browse to the “[fort_name].worldpkgdesc”-file, by default found at the following location:
    “C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\[my_mod_name]\data\settlements\[culture]\ambient_settlements\[fort_name]\[fort_name].worldpkgdesc”

You will see two separate windows. On the left side, the HEX-code will be shown; every cell represents one character (either a letter or a number). On the right side, you can have a closer look at which character each HEX-code represents. In this right window, you can relatively easily add numbers and letters, for instance altering the system path of the fort file. In order to get our stone fort ingame, we are going to alter the system-path string (“settlements/north_european/…/stone_fort_h.world”) and the culture string (“greek”).

Now, let us look at an example I made. As can be seen below (image), the HEX-code is on the left screen and the corresponding information we are going to edit is on the right screen. Between every two bits of strings, there is a blank space: always a minimum of 3 spaces (represented by 00 on the left screen). Yet, between every readable bit of information displayed on the right screen, there is invisible information as well. These are the blank spaces, sometimes represented with a square-like symbol as can be seen in the image. This ‘invisible’ information (which is very important!) can be ‘seen’ on the left part of the screen. I highlighted the character of interest.

As you can see, there are 2 blank spaces after the word ‘settlement’ and 3 blank spaces before the string ‘settlements/north_european/…/stone_fort_h.world”. Between them, you can see the letter ‘N’ (right screen), corresponding with the HEX-code ‘4E’ (left screen). This code corresponds with the number of characters the next string has.

As highlighted in the screen above, this HEX-code ‘4E’ corresponds with the decimal number ‘78’. This represents the number of characters the system path has.

If we want to alter the system path (which can be easily done in the right screen by editing letters), we also have to alter the HEX-code (in this example: ‘4E’). Click on ‘edit’, then on ‘overwrite string’, as depicted in the screen below.

Then, select ‘HEX string’ and fill in the HEX-code which corresponds with the number of characters. To acquire the appropriate HEX-code, go to this website, enter the decimal value (i.e. the number of characters the new system-path string has) and copy the HEX-code into the HEX-string box, as depicted below.

Now, click op ‘ok’ and you are done J. Repeat these steps for the culture string as well. When you are short on characters in the right screen (i.e. you need more before the square-like symbols), you could also add these by selecting ‘edit’ and clicking on ‘insert string’.

HEX-editor: only one fort model
    Let me, once again, be very clear: when you want the same bmm for each culture you need to copy the model and place them in the corresponding culture folders. Simply altering the “[fort_name].worldpkgdesc”-file by only editing the culture string will not work. Hence, you need to copy the fort folder to every culture folder and subsequently edit both the culture string and system-path string.

HEX-editor: buildable fort vs. non-buildable fort
    If you want this fort to be the standard buildable fort for the culture you added the fort folder for, make sure the HEX-strings end with the phrase “wooden_fort”, as shown at the bottom of the right screen (see picture below). When this is done, the fort the .worldpkgdesc file belongs to indicates that this fort is the default fort, which can be build.

If you do not want this fort to be the default buildable fort, the file should end with the phrase “[stone_fort_name]”, where “[stone_fort_name]” represents the name of your fort. In case of our example shown in the screenshots, the name of the fort would be “stone_fort_h” (without the quotation marks).
    Last edited by UraniumAtom; May 27, 2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Adding pictures

Laetus

Default Campaign map: model and settings

Campaign map: model and settings
    As having stone forts on the battle map is nice and all, we still want to have nice models on the campaign map itself. And more importantly for some of us, we want to set whether forts are permanent, or disappear after a number of turns. So, we are going to edit some files in order to nicely represent forts on the campaign map, as well as apply a number of ingame settings: the number of free upkeep units and the status of the fort (i.e. buildable or destructible).

Campaign map model
    Since the campaign map model (cmm) is a wooden one by default, we may want to add this since our aim is to have stone fort models on both the campaign map and in the battle modus. It is possible to set a different campaign map model (cmm) for each of the six cultures ingame: Northern, Southern or Eastern European, Middle Eastern, Greek and Meso American. So, instead of setting a ‘general’ model for all every faction, you have to assign models to every culture separately (although the same model can be applied to all cultures!). Remember this ‘culture’-word, as this will be very important in the rest of this tutorial!

1. First, open the “descry_cultures.txt” file in your mod folder. This can be found at the following location (default): “C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\[my_mod_name]\data\...”

2. Then, search for the culture you want to edit. This can be only one of the six cultures, or all of them. Scroll to the final part of each culture section, just before the line of ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; . You will see this:
    Code:
    fort data/models_strat/residences/SE_fort_buildings.CAS, fort_roman
    fort_cost 500
    fort_wall data/models_strat/residences/SE_fort_walls.CAS
    3. Now, the line behind ‘fort’ corresponds with the campaign map model (cmm); the line behind fort_wall corresponds with the texture (i.e. the walls). You can replace these models (found in \...\mods\[my_mod_name]\data\models_strat\residences\), for instance by stone fort cmm, or by other models such as a motte and bailey or a village. When you download stone forts made available by other users, these cmm files will be present in the downloaded file. So you only have to place these .CAS-files in \...\mods\[my_mod_name]\data\models_strat\residences\..., and you are set .

Number of free upkeep units
    By default, two military units are allowed free upkeep in a fort. You can alter this number by editing the descr_strat.txt file. This can, again by default, be found at the following location:
    “C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\[my_mod_name]\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial campaign\descr_strat.txt”

Now open the file. You will almost immediately find the line “free_upkeep_forts” (with its default value of 2), right above the ;;;;;;;;;;-line. You can replace the 2 by any number, as long as it 0 or above and it is smaller than 20 (the maximum number of units in a fort). Save when you are done. This modification is not save game compatible, meaning you have to start a new campaign in order for these new settings to take effect.

Permanent or destructible
    When you want to be able to have destructible forts during your campaign, follow the instructions in this section. If you are not interested, you can skip this part and move on to the section considering the battle map model.

First of all, go to “descr_campaign_db.xml”. This file can by default be found at the following location: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\[my_mod_name]\data

The second step is opening the file. I would recommend opening the file with notepad.

Then, scroll down (somewhere in the middle), right below <settlement>. Alternatively, you could press CTRL+F in notepad, and then type ‘fort’; this way, you search the entries containing the word ‘fort’, which are the entries we need J.

Fourth, scroll down a bit until you see the following lines:

Code:
    <destroy_empty_forts bool="false"/>
    <can_build_forts bool="true"/>
    <fort_fortification_level string="3"/>
    Now, as you can see in the first line, empty forts are not destructed. If you want forts to disappear after they are no longer garrisoned, change the phrase false into true. Now, save your edit in notepad and you are done!

Placement of stone forts on the campaign map
    It is possible to manually place stone forts at specific locations on the campaign map. This is not save game compatible, meaning that you have to start a new campaign in order for these new settings to take effect. In order to add stone forts, you should edit the descr_strat.txt file. This can, again by default, be found at the following location:
    “C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\[my_mod_name]\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial campaign\descr_strat.txt”

Now open the file with notepad. Scroll down until you see the section beginning with:
    Code:
    ; >>>> start of regions section <<<<
    You will see a list of all provinces that are available when playing the campaign. Every entry will be structured the following way:

region [region_name]
    farming_level [number]
    famine_threat [number]

When you want to add a permanent fort to the campaign map, you should first of all find the province you want the permanent fort to be placed in. After you find the province of your choice, you should add a line of code specifying which fort you want to place in that province.

region [region_name]
    farming_level [number]
    famine_threat [number]
    [line of code]

In this line should be structured the following way:

Code:
    fort        x y [fort_name] culture [culture_name]
    The values x and y correspond with the x and y coordinates of your fort. Fort_name refers to the name of the battle map model (bmm) of the fort you want to place. Culture_name refers to the culture folder you placed the bmm in. As we have discussed earlier, it is possible to have the same fort available for different cultures. By specifying culture, you can add specific forts to specific regions. An example of the line of code is displayed below.

Code:
    fort        176 217 stone_fort_a culture northern_european
    Please remember that the coordinates of the fort should correspond with the province you add the fort to. Or in other words: when the entered coordinates belong to a different province, your game will crash! In the end, your province referral in the “descry_strat.txt”-file will look as follows:

Code:
    region [region_name]
    farming_level [number]
    famine_threat [number]
    fort 176 217 stone_fort_a culture northern_european

Buildable and permanent forts
    As can be deducted from what we have done in the aforementioned sections, it is possible to have both permanent and buildable stone forts at the same time! Moreover, it is possible to have the same forts both (1) available for construction by generals, as well as (2) placed manually on the battle map. Although you can make many different stone forts available for each culture, it is possible only to assign one fort per culture to be buildable. Thus, in order to have different fort models per culture, you have to place a variety on the campaign map yourself, and subsequently select another one to be buildable.

Also remember that it is not very practical to have buildable, destroyable forts and at the same time place many of them on the campaign map (since they will disappear when not garrisoned after one turn).
    Last edited by UraniumAtom; May 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM.

Laetus

Default Re: Forts: Everything you need to know about permanent, stone and/or buildable forts

Questions and answers

Q: I want forts to look different for each faction; is this possible?
    A: Yes, this is possible. Although all I know about this topic is that you should go to \...\data\blockset\[culture]\ and place the texture files there. More information (yet very brief) can be found in one of Wolfslayer’s posts (#73): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4195509#post4195509 (in the middle, beginning with ‘/data/blockset/textures’, the colored text).

Q: I want to alter the fort models, both on the campaign map and on the battle map. What do I do?
    A: Well, it depends on what models you are planning to use. Basically, you could follow the same steps as elaborated on in this tutorial. First edit the campaign map model for each culture in “descry_cultures”, then place alternative battle map models in the “\…\data\settlements\[culture]\ambient_settlements\...” folder, and finally editing the [fort name].worldpkgdesc-file with an HEX-editor.

I would further recommend to read this (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=236332) tutorial by Göteborgare; he purely writes about how to turn a fort model into a village model, so you can easily follow the different phases step by step.

Q: Is it possible to have destructible forts who will disappear after a certain number of turns, instead of the first turn you will leave them empty?
    A: I thought so yes, but I have no idea how. In a very early stage, when I was still figuring out how everything worked, I have read something about this. Unfortunately, I can no longer retrieve this bit of information. So maybe it is not true after all. I’m sorry I can’t provide you with more information.
    Last edited by UraniumAtom; May 27, 2010 at 07:36 AM.

Laetus

Default Re: Forts: Everything you need to know about permanent, stone and/or buildable forts

Links
    Stone fort discussions
    Topic 1 - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=315569
    Topic 2 - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120099

Additional stone forts
    Wolfslayer’s Brittanica forts - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163607

Rozanov’s castle’s turned into forts (posts #71/72/73) - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6589476#post6589476

Eothese made two stone forts available (still downloadable) - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203631

Tutorials
    Gigantus: How to get manually placed, stone forts on the battlefield - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170327

Göteborgare: How to turn a fort model into a village model - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=236332

Impspy: How to have both wooden and stone forts (cmm and bmm) - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6431404#post6431404

Makanyane: Information about the Battlemap Building Textures - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=299867

Finished mods (with permanent stone forts)
    Rozanov’s mod with / 2 turns per year / permanent stone forts / RC-RR compatible : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=324823 (now incorporated in SS)
    See also: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=351309

Zuma’s stone forts (download link only, in Impspy’s post #10) - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6057344#post6057344
    Last edited by UraniumAtom; May 27, 2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added link

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Excellent guide, UraniumAtom. Thankyou for taking the time to write it! +rep

Laetus

Thxz, it was my pleasure

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Nicely detailed, appreciate the time taken.

Nice. What I needed to mod. Thank you
    Today is a good day

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

You can also use the fort line in descr_strat to place suitably amended ambient buildings on the campaign map so that they also appear on battle maps.
    (AFAIK you have to use the same fort campaign map graphic though which rather spoils the effect.)

You need to use wilddog's IWTE tool to do the necessary alterations (ie you need to place a plaza somewhere.)
    I'd recommend amending the pathfinding too if you can work that out - it should be possible (but I haven't tried yet) to make some ambient buildings
    into defensible "forts" - there's a very nice huge fortified house that might work.

(Choose your structures using the battle editor.)

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    You can also use the fort line in descr_strat to place suitably amended ambient buildings on the campaign map so that they also appear on battle maps.
    (AFAIK you have to use the same fort campaign map graphic though which rather spoils the effect.)
    Yes, this is right. Göteborgare's tutorial pretty much covers this... (i.e. using a village model instead of a fort model). This can be done for every culture, and probably for every faction as well...

You need to use wilddog's IWTE tool to do the necessary alterations (ie you need to place a plaza somewhere.)
    I'd recommend amending the pathfinding too if you can work that out - it should be possible (but I haven't tried yet) to make some ambient buildings
    into defensible "forts" - there's a very nice huge fortified house that might work.

(Choose your structures using the battle editor.)
    I will look into this. But you are talking about entirely new models (apart from castles and forts); I do not see the point of making this available as fort models actually (besides very specific buildings, such as some kind of keep or something). But even if so: would one use this?

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

I will look into this. But you are talking about entirely new models (apart from castles and forts); I do not see the point of making this available as fort models actually (besides very specific buildings, such as some kind of keep or something). But even if so: would one use this?
    I like to have lots of options -even if there's no necessity for them - if they're then there's always the possibility that some bright spark can find a use for them.
    There's a couple of the very large fortified houses that would be look good done as forts.

ANd maybe there's some role-play uses for other buildings - maybe they're defended by a single-man hero unit that one has to defeat to gain some reward?

Excellent! and exactly what i was looking for to answer one question i had - Q: I want forts to look different for each faction; is this possible?

T H A N K Y O U

So can something like this be done to place watchtowers on the battle map too? Or better yet replace them with besiegable forts so that maybe on the general characters' menu you could see the choice between building a small fort and a large one, rather than the fort and watchtower?

AnthoniusII's Avatar XXI ARMORED BRIGADE

My question is more complicated.
    Is it possible to have permanent stone forts on the campaign map (maybe in the form of a village) and the same time generals to be able to build stone forts also?
    We do not mind if the buildable forts will disapear after 3 turns.
    We care to be there...

Is it possible?
    There are moments (in history), in which a nation owes,
    if it wants to be considered as a great one, to be able to fight.
    Even without hope of winning. Just because it has to.
    Greek War motto.
    XXI Armored Brigade. Proud that served in that unit in 1996!
    "Spartans do not ask how many (enemies are) but where they are"!
    XXI Armored Brigade's motto.
    The Greek Secret (or why they will fight again if it will be necessary or why they do not sell their history).

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Is it possible to have permanent stone forts on the campaign map (maybe in the form of a village) and the same time generals to be able to build stone forts also?
    We do not mind if the buildable forts will disapear after 3 turns.
    We care to be there...

Is it possible?
    No

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Yep, but it takes some work.

Use an immobile rebel agent to maintain the forts that you want to be permanent.

So you need an agent per fort listed in descr_strat.

Then you need a trait to immobilise him.

You can name the agents in order to name the fort. Just enable label_characters in your .cfg and the agent/fort name will show on the campaign map all the time.

Any forts that are unoccupied will selfdestruct as usual.

I think the permanent forts can be setup in descr_strat to use whichever models you like. The fort_fortification_level in desc_campaign_db determines the models of new forts. So temp forts can be wood while perm are stone, or villages, if you like.

You're still going to need siege equipment to assault these unfortified villages... Personally this puts me off the idea of using villages.
    Last edited by Taiji; July 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Use an immobile rebel agent to maintain the forts that you want to be permanent.
    Use a spare faction and then freeze the AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    Yep, but it takes some work.

You can name the agents in order to name the fort. Just enable label_characters in your .cfg and the agent/fort name will show on the campaign map all the time.

Any forts that are unoccupied will selfdestruct as usual.

I think the permanent forts can be setup in descr_strat to use whichever models you like. The fort_fortification_level in desc_campaign_db determines the models of new forts. So temp forts can be wood while perm are stone, or villages, if you like.

You're still going to need siege equipment to assault these unfortified villages... Personally this puts me off the idea of using villages.
    That's a nice way to go Taiji. Gotta try this soon.+rep to u bro.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast