Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: V1-V3 Royaume de Meravangi (aka Bons Chevaliers) Fan Thread

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Default Re: Bons Chevaliers Fan Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eohelm View Post
    Lookin' good, TFON. I've always loved those swordsmen-at-arms skins that are shown last. They look so rad. Adding the Chevaliers symbol don't hurt too much, I s'pose.
    Yes most of the vanilla skins are nice, that is why I have retained the patterns and just recoloured in RBC colours to make them different from the Vanilla french and added the faction symbols to give them some identity

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

They look great, I liked their roster already so it's good to see that it hasn't been drastically changed .

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Leonidas View Post
    They look great, I liked their roster already so it's good to see that it hasn't been drastically changed .
    The only changes are the skins, addition of pavise xbows, additional upgrage level to men at arms (mounted and dismounted), and the removal of lances from BGs
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; April 09, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

Nice reskin, very "frenchy".

Would you consider removing/replacing those HRE-ish shields on the sword sergeants (black & white with eagles)? They seem a bit out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Nice reskin, very "frenchy".

Would you consider removing/replacing those HRE-ish shields on the sword sergeants (black & white with eagles)? They seem a bit out of place.

There is a mish mash across the different units regarding shields, this it to try and give a more feudal and less uniform look. Its hard to see when looking at just one unit, but when you see the effect across a mixed unit battle line, I hope you will agree it is quite effective.

It's not so much that it's different but that it looks non-Chevalie, like it belonged to another faction (Teutonic Order?). If it was, let's say, green with purple and orange stripes I wouldn't have cared.

But maybe I'm thinking too much in terms of real life analogies, eagle -> germans -> teutons/faust.

It's not so much that it's different but that it looks non-Chevalie, like it belonged to another faction (Teutonic Order?). If it was, let's say, green with purple and orange stripes I wouldn't have cared.

But maybe I'm thinking too much in terms of real life analogies, eagle -> germans -> teutons/faust.
    Every europeon faction uses those same designs (just in different colours) in the vanilla game.

I'm glad you kept the vanilla resolutions for the texture work. Makes it much easier on your machine when playing huge battles with maximum sizes. The new colors are very good as well.

What would people think of the faction being renamed the Royaume de Meravangi ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstONeill View Post
    I see them as being quite arrogant, so it fits in with that naming the kingdom after themselves. I know that Thera doesn't use actual languages, but wouldn't it be better to have it as 'Royaume des Meravangi' though? Other than that, I like this name.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

"des" is the plural form of "de"

Royaume de Meravangi means the "Kingdom of Meravangi"

Royaume des Chevaliers means the "Kingdom of the Knights"

Besides, it flows better with "de" than with "des"

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

These look rad, man! Very nice! The Bons Chevaliers deserve more than those vanilla skins of old, monsieur!

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

It might create an oddity if the player decides to ditch the original bloodline but I've no real objections to the change.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    "des" is the plural form of "de"

Royaume de Meravangi means the "Kingdom of Meravangi"

Royaume des Chevaliers means the "Kingdom of the Knights"

Besides, it flows better with "de" than with "des"
    I know, I was just thinking that as it's a dynasty, it would be better to be the "Kingdom of the Meravangi" as there has been more than one king in the line . But either way it still sounds good.

Meravangi sounds better. I've never cared for having a kingdom whose name literally means "kingdom of good knights." It's like if Avalon were called "Kingdom of Skillful Longbowmen" or the Romuli "Imperium Tenax Peditum" (Empire of Tenacious Heavy Infantry).

It might create an oddity if the player decides to ditch the original bloodline but I've no real objections to the change.
    No more than the Faust or Dracule., who are both named after their dynasties

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Leonidas View Post
    I know, I was just thinking that as it's a dynasty, it would be better to be the "Kingdom of the Meravangi" as there has been more than one king in the line . But either way it still sounds good.
    My thinking also. Plus it allows for better use of the term 'Bons Chevaliers' , chivalric knights (who are used by this faction only) couldbe renamed as Bons Chevaliers, and noble pike and spear could become Meravangi pikes/spears
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; April 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

My thinking also. Plus it allows for better use of the term 'Bons Chevaliers' , chivalric knights (who are used by this faction only) couldbe renamed as Bons Chevaliers, and noble pike and spear could become Meravangi pikes/spears
    I like the idea of renaming the Chivalric Knights to Bons Chevaliers, it makes them sound more unique. And naming some units after the Meravangi could be good, kind of like the Dracule have 'Dracule Spearmen'.

No more than the Faust or Dracule., who are both named after their dynasties
    Oh yeah.

Other options for Noble Pikes would be Garde Royaume ("Royal Guard") or (Meravangi) Garde Noble/Noblesse.

Pavise X-bowmen could be Arbalétrier or Arbalesteur or some similar "corruption" of the French language.

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

Pavise X-bowmen could be Arbalétrier or Arbalesteur or some similar "corruption" of the French language.
    lol My missus speaks French and thought that was clever. I have no idea what she means, so plus points to you. She won't explain it to me.

Wouldn't that prompt some people to ask for a renaming of other units based off a language? If I remember, I think someone actually did get on to TFON to rename the Faust Light Rifles to Yaegers or some other corruption of the word "Jäger" (which, for any who do not know, is German for "hunter").

It was an interesting conversation. Can't remember where it is now, though. Might be in the Faustian Fan Page.

Let it be known I am not asking for that to be done. Just remembering that someone did start a small argument over it.
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Quote Originally Posted by Eohelm View Post
    Wouldn't that prompt some people to ask for a renaming of other units based off a language?
    Maybe, but posts are fragile, weak things prone to being ignored or deleted. Besides, it seems we're already going to have at least one unit with a "French" name so the issue is already there.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to the entire roster's names being French'd but it's not necessary imo. The "special" names can be a way to make elite units stand out and define the faction so to speak.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; April 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast