Page 11 of 138 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesome 40K Pictures & Videos.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Awesome 40K Pictures

Neah, the Orks are the Space Mongols.

They're looking for a fight anywhere, if you resist them, they will siege you and then slaughter you. If you ignore them or surrender, they'll ignore you ( not much of a fight).

I think that several factions can be called "Space Mongols", representing different nuances of the Mongol hordes and their empire. Like, White Scars (naw rly), Orks, and Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    I'd like to see a source for this. Also, Samurai and Knight is the same thing. It's even the same word, just in a different language.

This. Not to say that Crusaders weren't pragmatists (and pillagers), but they were quite similar to 40k's SM or other Imperial troops - what with having a strong, often fanatical faith and so on. Not to mention being a major inspiration for some of the loyalist Space Marines.
    @Ulysses: I didn't say Marines didn't have honor, just not a enough for me to consider them "Samurai"

While the words Samurai and Knight may be the same. I don't know I never looked up the etymology of each word. The realities they represented are by far not the same. European Knights were soldiers through and through. They had a code, a few respected it to a high degree. But most were very lax, in their adherence to Chivalry was wanting. Yes, there were good knights and yes they fought valiantly I am not denying that but anybody who has ever compared the two will see their more akin to modern day soldiers then they are some "holier then thou warrior". They are soldiers their primary occupation is money and personal advancement.

Samurai historically had a reputation for being very hard lining and usually took Bushido very seriously. Yes, their were rotten Samurai and yes they are not perfect being as Human as the rest of us. But on average they took their code more seriously then their European counterparts. When the Mongols invaded Japan one of the big reasons they suffered so initially was they refused to part with the old way of warfare. It took a few lost battles and the realization that their entire race of people were on the line to make them adapt to the new style of warfare needed. Your talking about a bunch of folk who stab a knife deep into their gut if they suffered dishonor be it on or off the field!

Samurai also function fundamentally different from Knights while both groups are capable of fighting individually or as a group: Samurai truly shined when fighting one on one and this is what doomed them in their early conflicts with the Mongols. Knights shine when gathered together into a group where they can press home with a insanely powerful charge or where their strength of numbers and heavy armor makes them a truly unassailable foe.

I'm not saying Samurai are perfect and Knights are cowardly just that Samurai have a better reputation when it comes to honour. You don't like it? Punch out the one who writes the history books, not me.

I think that several factions can be called "Space Mongols", representing different nuances of the Mongol hordes and their empire. Like, White Scars (naw rly), Orks, and Chaos.
    Orks are like Space Mongols because all they really concern themselves with are pillage and loot and killing.

White Scars are like any other Space Marine just with a Asian Steppe flavor to them. As far as I know they follow the Codex and everything.

Chaos is more like the Crusaders but the darkest aspects of them. Their the "Black Bible" equivalent to the men who went to the Holy Land. If you don't know what the Black Bible is look it up I will not discuss it here.

More pictures from me:

Exterminatus:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ka'bhanda:

Imperial Robots Vs. Daemons:

Neophite:

Salamanders:

Loyalist Emperors Children:

Loyalist World Eaters:

Pre-Heresy Stormbird Transport:

Art //

Semisalis

What is the context of that Imperial Robots vs. Daemons picture? I was under the impression that the Imperium didn't employ AI/Robots.

I'll stop arguing against God the second I'm disproven'. I'm praying to God I eventually am.

Quote Originally Posted by KayRim View Post
    What is the context of that Imperial Robots vs. Daemons picture? I was under the impression that the Imperium didn't employ AI/Robots.
    Imperial Robots use a dumb AI, which is basically what a Machine Spirit is. Therefore they do not violate the old Edicts.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    @Ulysses: I didn't say Marines didn't have honor, just not a enough for me to consider them "Samurai"

While the words Samurai and Knight may be the same. I don't know I never looked up the etymology of each word. The realities they represented are by far not the same. European Knights were soldiers through and through. They had a code, a few respected it to a high degree. But most were very lax, in their adherence to Chivalry was wanting. Yes, there were good knights and yes they fought valiantly I am not denying that but anybody who has ever compared the two will see their more akin to modern day soldiers then they are some "holier then thou warrior". They are soldiers their primary occupation is money and personal advancement.

Samurai historically had a reputation for being very hard lining and usually took Bushido very seriously. Yes, their were rotten Samurai and yes they are not perfect being as Human as the rest of us. But on average they took their code more seriously then their European counterparts. When the Mongols invaded Japan one of the big reasons they suffered so initially was they refused to part with the old way of warfare. It took a few lost battles and the realization that their entire race of people were on the line to make them adapt to the new style of warfare needed. Your talking about a bunch of folk who stab a knife deep into their gut if they suffered dishonor be it on or off the field!

Samurai also function fundamentally different from Knights while both groups are capable of fighting individually or as a group: Samurai truly shined when fighting one on one and this is what doomed them in their early conflicts with the Mongols. Knights shine when gathered together into a group where they can press home with a insanely powerful charge or where their strength of numbers and heavy armor makes them a truly unassailable foe.

I'm not saying Samurai are perfect and Knights are cowardly just that Samurai have a better reputation when it comes to honour. You don't like it? Punch out the one who writes the history books, not me.
    You're taking the Bushido ideal at face value.
    In reality there's no reason to assume samurai followed the bushido ideal any more seriously than knights did the chivalry ideal.
    Also the romantic idea of a samurai fighting alone comes from the later periods, when samurai had long lost their prevalence on the battlefield. During their heyday they were very much soldiers like knights were. (films like Seven Samurai and Yoyimbo deal with this later period for example, I can't actually think of a good samurai movie set during their actual prime days)

In fact the very concept of bushido was popularised by a converted Japanese in the 19th century looking for a similar concept to chivalry in his own history. Before that there was only a vague concept of a cultivated warrior, hence a medieval samurai couldn't follow bushido as portrayed in modern culture, as it didn't even exist as a codified set of behaviour. Much of it is hineininterpretierung.
    Last edited by Manco; December 02, 2010 at 01:37 AM.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    You're taking the Bushido ideal at face value.
    In reality there's no reason to assume samurai followed the bushido ideal any more seriously than knights did the chivalry ideal.
    Also the romantic idea of a samurai fighting alone comes from the later periods, when samurai had long lost their prevalence on the battlefield. During their heyday they were very much soldiers like knights were. (films like Seven Samurai and Yoyimbo deal with this later period for example, I can't actually think of a good samurai movie set during their actual prime days)

In fact the very concept of bushido was popularised by a converted Japanese in the 19th century looking for a similar concept to chivalry in his own history. Before that there was only a vague concept of a cultivated warrior, hence a medieval samurai couldn't follow bushido as portrayed in modern culture, as it didn't even exist as a codified set of behaviour. Much of it is hineininterpretierung.
    Regardless your arguing with the wrong person. I am merely repeating what people aroudn the world feel because of whats written in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    Chaos are marauders and pillagers. I see them as space mongols.
    Pfft you dont hear me calling you a toaster?

Quote Originally Posted by KayRim View Post
    The battle portrayed in the picture is the War in the Web. In terms of the Imperiums use of robots, the Mechaicum does not use AI robots (Well other than the Kaban Machine). Instead they use groups of 'robots' which only function properly while they have a handler. This organisation is called the Legio Cybernetica.

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|9|Lord_Max View Post
    Pfft you dont hear me calling you a toaster?
    I could call you a lot of things but i don't.....

Besides my post wasn't being derogatory either way. Its just a comparison.
    Art //

This is Saving Private Ryan in Spaaace !

I absolutely adore this picture, it has everything in it, Terminator 2 like skeletons on the ground depicting the Space Marines victims ... I mean, enemies, them just strolling along with those big ass cannons on their shoulders. Can't decide which one is Upham though...
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 02, 2010 at 01:44 PM.

That's a pre-Heresy legion, right? Which one is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    Regardless your arguing with the wrong person. I am merely repeating what people aroudn the world feel because of whats written in the books.
    Feeling is not knowing. Why do you repeat clichés based on hearsay?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post

This is Saving Private Ryan in Spaaace !

I absolutely adore this picture, it has everything in it, Terminator 2 like skeletons on the ground depicting the Space Marines victims ... I mean, enemies, them just strolling along with those big ass cannons on their shoulders. Can't decide which one is Upham though...
    That battle is Istvaan III. Those Marines are loyalist and i believe it is after the virus bombs killed the planets population.

That's a pre-Heresy legion, right? Which one is it?
    The Emperors Children.
    Art //

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    That battle is Istvaan III. Those Marines are loyalist and i believe it is after the virus bombs killed the planets population.
    That kinda takes out the whole Epic Warrior walking on the battlefield aspect for me.

I prefer to think they've killed each woman & child and able bodied man themselves, with their bare hands.

Pre-Heresy Pictures:

Bjorn the Fell Handed:

Abaddon:

Typhon:

Ahriman:

Punch!:

Magnus the Red:

Blast!:

Emperors Children:

Art //

Senator

Some Imperial Guard, arguably possesors of the biggest balls in the galaxy

Silo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Clicky

I've always like the black and white picture of a battle of sisters shooting a boltgun overshadowed by gothic ruins. For the longest time, it was the only picture of them until witch hunters came out.
    Just out of interest Silo, where did you get your avatar from?
    Smilies...the resort of those with a vacuous argument