Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: War for the Colonies: a m2tw americas campaign mod

Asta666's Avatar Libertus

Icon2 War for the Colonies: a m2tw americas campaign mod

Hello and welcome to War for the Colonies This is a small mod for the americas campaign that aims to add depth and gameplay options by including new factions and units. I wanted to see some more European factions (especially the ones that would later become the big colonial empires) in this campaign since it came out, but just recently decided to make a mod that implements it. This is my first modding attempt so please dont be too harsh critics !! Of course suggestions and bug reports are more than welcome.

*General features:
    -France and England become playable, also Portugal is added as a playable faction.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

-Each of the new factions starts with a city, a fleet, an army and some agents.
    England:

France:

Portugal:

-Scripted fleet arrivals throughout the game become controllable reinforcements if the player is using the corresponding faction (England/France). Since version 1.02 Portugal also gets reinforcement fleets/armies.
    -Campaign descriptions and win conditions for all of the new factions, and modified some of the old ones: now Spain has to also destroy Portugal and the Apacheans have to destroy England and France.
    -Building/recruitment times of European nations set according to Spain's settings (the default ones).
    -Reduced King's purse (slightly) for balancing purposes.
    -New factions also receive Council of Nobles missions.

*Unit additions:
    -Each of the new factions has a unique unit.
    England:

France:

Portugal:

-Added one missile and one close combat militia unit to each faction. France and Portugal get Crossbow Militia and Pike Militia and England gets Archer Militia and Bill/Heavy Bill Militia.
    -Included more infantry and gunpowder units for all of the factions (Voulgier/Billmen/Hand Gunners/Arquebusiers, etc.)
    -Added several ships to the unit roster of each faction. Portugal and Spain get Caravel while England and France get Gun Holk (some others like Lanternas and War Galley were added to all of them).

Some screenshots of the common units:
    French Musketeers

English Billmen

Portuguese Conquistadores

If you like what this mod has to offer so far and want more of it here are the installation instructions and the download link.

*Download link (Version 1.07): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3779
    Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/m43znwdnx50tpw5/

*Step by step installation instructions:
    -Install M2TW + Kingdoms americas campaign.
    -Make sure M2TW folder is not write-protected by checking its folder properties (X:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\ by default). In case it is deselect that option and apply the new setting to all sub-folders and files.
    -Unpack americas campaign by going to X:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\tools\unpacker (where X is the letter of your hard drive) and double clicking on 'unpack_americas.bat' (watch out because this requires some free hd space, 2 gigs approx.).
    -Extract 'War_for_the_Colonies_1-07.zip' to a folder and run 'WftC_Installer.jar'.
    -Select your M2TW folder folder as the destination directory (X:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\ by default) and click on the install button.
    -Execute the mod by double-clicking on the file 'War for the Colonies.bat' in 'M2TW folder/mods/americas' folder or its shortcut on the desktop.
    -Enjoy.

NOTE1: In case you have any problems with the installer you can manually extract the contents of the 'wftc' folder into the M2TW folder, overwriting existing files, and delete the files '/mods/americas/data/descr_geography_new.txt' and '/mods/americas/data/descr_geography_new.db' afterwards.
    NOTE2: The installer automatically backs up any files that are overwritten during installation to 'M2TW folder/wftcBK'. The code of the installer can be found at https://github.com/Asta1986/wftc_installer .

Thats all for now, I hope this mod gives some of you a good time and new adventures in the Americas. I also want to thank colesy606 for his encouragement and technical support, without it this mod probably would have never been started. Also to all the modding community for being helpful and patient with new modders. In the future if I am able I would like to add scripted reinforcements to Portugal as well (done! version 1.02) and if possible implement prestige points to the new factions (done! version 1.05). Also this mod does not aim to be historically accurate, so suggestions concerning that will probably not be taken into account.

*Version history:
    -1.07 - Fixed bugs: wrong bodyguard units for European nation's family members; missing text in the menus during battles; missing unit cards for some Portuguese units. The installer backs up files overwritten during installation.
    -1.06 - Changed map and battle models of Portugal's generals, faction leader and heir, and also the map models of Portuguese agents, to the Americas Campaign ones. Portugal gets a spy and is at war with rebels from the beginning. Aztec Town Reskin mod made by DAVIDE.COOL (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=375200) included with his permission.
    -1.05 - Prestige points working for European nations (thanks to Vegas_Bear).
    -1.04 - Fixed mission text (thanks to Vegas_Bear as well). 'descr_geography_new.txt' and 'descr_geography_new.db' are automatically removed during installation.
    -1.03 - Included display fix in the installer. No need to unpack the whole game anymore, only americas campaign.
    -1.02 - Reworked installer GUI. Portugal now also receives scripted reinforcements. Units added: Portugal: Portuguese arquebusiers, hand gunners. England: arquebusiers, billmen, heavy billmen. France: arquebusiers, french mounted archers, voulgier.
    -1.01 - Fixed movement bug in the initial settlements of the new factions.
    Last edited by Asta666; May 26, 2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: screenshots moved to working server

Default Re: War for the Colonies: a m2tw americas campaign mod

Looks great Asta!
    +rep for you
    "A dark age indeed, no plumbing! No electricity! No nothing! Oh, hang it all." Merlin.

@hasta666
    good work ,finally i go to play with portugal in amercas campaign

i would like if you expand the american map to brasil, but thats too much i think... and to north america too...
    and new musketeers and line infantry...

Oh, dream of a Colonialism Total War...
    but this is a quite good mod, to get a feeling
    of what you could do with americas campaign...

hey guys im glad you liked it, nessj i know what you mean, i too feel colonialism in the Americas has a lot of potential for a game like this, and id also like to expand the map, especially to the south (im from Argentina hehehe) to locate Portugal closer to its original arriving position, but right now thats out of my modding capabilities it would also probably require including another native faction too on the other hand, ill be adding more infantry units and gunpowder units soon, i just have to finish some changes to the installer and ill upload the updated version hopefully with it all the new factions will have recruitment potential comparable to Spain's while maintaining uniqueness and specific strong/weak points, which is my overall goal.

Desley's Avatar Praefectus

Could you maybe make some more Ancillarys for the indians

I got bug. I did everything you said and installed perferctly but I when start it and start the grand camagain. As soon it load the map I get all this random coloring everywhere. Hold I'll post a picture later.

its ok, i know what you mean, i used to have that bug too, i solve it by unpacking the whole game (unpack_all.bat in the tools folder) then everything looks ok, i dont know why in some systems is not enough with unpacking americas only, should suffice :S, try that, but watch out youll need some more free hd space!! and reinstall the mod afterward. Tell me how it goes please.
    PS: you ll also have to delete descr_geography files again after using unpack_all
    Last edited by Asta666; June 03, 2010 at 02:19 PM.

i could make you this map here :

but portugal wouldnt be on that map
    but it can still be expaned

Any reason why this happened?

Lord Kaiser The Supreme it seems to be some problem with missing unpacked files, try the same installation steps but instead of using unpack_americas.bat use unpack_all.bat (its in the same folder, it ill use some more hd space as the whole game will be unpacked) that solved it when it occurred to me

yep it solved thanks mate.

updated to version 1.02 with quite a few changes... i finally (finally) was able to make a working script for reinforcements for Portugal i also added some units and im pretty happy with the current roster of each faction, which i think is pretty even, while maintaining uniqueness (see version history section of the first post for more details on the changes).
    nessj thanks for the map, i dont know right now how much work it would require to expand the map, but ill look into it when i have some more free time, it would be something really cool to implement.
    desley currently im not planning to make any changes to the native factions.
    i hope 1.02 works fine, i still could not test it extensively, especially regarding ingame balance, so any feedback will be appreciated.

SOMEBODY please help i do not get this last bit
    i run executable file but mod does not work.

Run 'War for the Colonies.exe' and select 'americas' folder as the destination directory: X:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\americas by default.

WHAT DO?
    to catch a fish,so juicy sweeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by Totalwar462140 View Post
    SOMEBODY please help i do not get this last bit
    i run executable file but mod does not work.

Run 'War for the Colonies.exe' and select 'americas' folder as the destination directory: X:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\americas by default.

WHAT DO?
    im not sure if i get you right but if you mean what to do after installing the mod in americas directory that would be running the desktop shortcut created for the mod, which launches it. Executable is just the setup file, after installing it the game has to be run from the desktop shortcut.

TiagoJRToledo's Avatar Miles

Awesome MOD! Regarding the new bigger map: Portugal could and should be on it, in the area off Guiana (because it was Portuguese before the Dutch conquered it). Again AWESOME MOD!
    Edit: I just started playing with Portugal, but there seems to be a bug with Quirigua. If I try to move out of the city, it's ad if there was a enemy army nearby, the red squares appear. I thought that with the 1.02 patch this would be fixed, but the link to the 1.02 is dead... Any suggestions?
    Last edited by TiagoJRToledo; January 23, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

this mod is cool

1.02 Patch link is dead, how to download 1.02 patch?And i would really like that the portuguese general would be conquistador, not knight

I'm sorry for the long absence, I've away from this game for quite some time. The download link from megaupload is still working i believe, and it is also version 1.02, only gamefront mirror is dead. Anyway if you are having problems downloading from megaupload let me know and I will upload it somewhere else.

small but useful update: I included the display fix in the installer so there is no need to unpack the whole game anymore, only americas campaign. I also added new working download links.
    Tiago and makrell thanks for your nice comments, I'm glad you liked the mod.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast