View Poll Results: What should be the topic of the next blog?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Map generation

41 25.31%
  • Iberia

51 31.48%
  • Italy

70 43.21%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map Blog 2 - France and Iceland

Default Re: Map Blog 2 - France and Iceland

Seleukos_I. is right about this. If we wanted the map to span as we wanted it then the Iceland's inclusion is more of a by-product of that. The span's criterias:

South-East to include whole Arabian Peninsula and north to include whole Baltic sea (land between finland-sweden). Resulting map includes all of Sahara and Iceland as bonuses. Western border was adjusted in order not to cut the Iceland nor Sahara in half or something like that.

Such info would be part of Map generation blog should you people vote for it.

EDIT: Thinking of Sahara of wasted space and desert is a terrible mistake :-) I think you will be surprised how lively and interesting it's gonna be in DotS (as it was in fact in the past).

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Yes the desert will be a lively and contested region as it was in history.

Konstantin I, I can see what you are getting at but when you see the map properly in DotS it is pretty enormous. Iceland is a historically relevant place to include and the map is going to include African kingdoms and jungles in subsaharan Africa aswell as have contested trade routes between nomads, berbers, tuaregs, portuguese... etc. I think this is all good and unseen before. The muslims did go deep into Africa and unusually this will be possible in DotS.
    Last edited by Space_Ed; May 16, 2010 at 01:41 PM.

Recon's Avatar Decanus

Brennas: I meant what I wrote litterally - no sarcasm. I'm well aware that Iceland was no political hot spot, I was merely backing up Sumskillz.

As for why having Iceland in: I presume the reason is that Hross and the team simply wish to represent Norway as the colonial maritime power it was at the time.

In my opinion Norway is still poor represented as the kingdom had far more important colonies further north i.e. one being Lofoten a great center of air dried fish and minor ones that provied fur and whale artifacts through contact with the various sami tribes. Not to forget the possible skirmishes you could have had with the Novgorodians over the northern territories. Wasteland or not I approve of Iceland.

Haven't been on the forums for a long while but decided to log in because of how great this looks, +rep

I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves.
    - Che Guevara

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    In my opinion Norway is still poor represented as the kingdom had far more important colonies further north i.e. one being Lofoten a great center of air dried fish and minor ones that provied fur and whale artifacts through contact with the various sami tribes. Not to forget the possible skirmishes you could have had with the Novgorodians over the northern territories. Wasteland or not I approve of Iceland.
    Yeah but obviously you understand why we can't give settlement slots away to points that far removed, it was certainly never fought over or instrumental in conflict unlike say Kirkwall was between Scots and Norwegians. I think you nailed it when you write 'skirmishes', 'minor' and 'wasteland'- compare that to Middle Eastern cities of 200,000 populatio in 1080 that we are not including because we need to include Bergen....

Recon's Avatar Decanus

Exactly and I fully understand Hross. Although you would have satisfied me by representing them with PSF's, but then agian that would have caused some other sacrifices. bloody limitations..

By the way welcome back, Hross.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Thank you, incidentally any places you think would make good PSFs just send me a list in a PM with some rough outline and I will take a look

Awesome work

gustave's Avatar Semisalis
    Patrician

Great work guys, the map looks very nice.

About those PSF, do they have a limited number too? If so, what's the number of PSF you can add?

Quote Originally Posted by Los San Patricios View Post
    About those PSF, do they have a limited number too? If so, what's the number of PSF you can add?
    We are yet unsure. As for now it seems there is no limit for PSFs but since we plan on adding hundreds of them we may as well run into the limit. That hopefully answers both your questions. :-)

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Libertus

I don't want to sound impatient, but is it possible to see a screenshot with psf's added? - if not, I have patience enough to wait

keep op the incredible work!

I don't want to sound impatient, but is it possible to see a screenshot with psf's added?
    It might be possible after they've been added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

If there is no settlement on Iceland, were is it controlled from? In Norway, or Scotland etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    If there is no settlement on Iceland, were is it controlled from? In Norway, or Scotland etc?
    Afaik from Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    It is a part of the most northerly region of Norway.

fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

i shall declare this as one of the maps with most devotion spent on it i have seen so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    We are yet unsure. As for now it seems there is no limit for PSFs but since we plan on adding hundreds of them we may as well run into the limit. That hopefully answers both your questions. :-)
    Thank you, hundreds of new settlements sounds very good

Looks great, +rep.

Just one question on the starting settlements of the French Crown....

It seems a bit strange that the French crown starts with almost the entirety of France under its control in 1080 AD. I do know that even 100 years after this, at the time of Louis VII's death, the royal domain only extended between Paris, Orleans, Bourges, and Rheims. I know that with DOTS's new system, many of the other provinces will be represented as the dominions of great lords and allow the player almost no control over them (as it should be), but there are a couple provinces that seem as if they should be rebel provinces in 1080. Specifically Bretagne is a bit suspect. I'm aware that they entered into an alliance with Phillip I in 1075, but I'm not sure if they should really start the game as a French province. Obviously, since they were allied to the French, being a rebel province is not ideal, but I don't really think being under the control of the French crown is a good representation of the situation either. The situation in Anjou is also a bit iffy... I might be misremembering but I thought the Count of Anjou retained quite a bit of independence at this point and was not particularly friendly with the French Crown (not that any of the major lords were "friendly" with the crown in the first place).

loukas's Avatar Tiro

great preview France nad Island look great

"I fear nothing, I hope for nothing, I am free!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast