Thread: Spacebar doesn't work properly in battles

Default Spacebar doesn't work properly in battles

Hello, good people. I've searched for similar threads to mind, but couldn't find any - if it IS a duplicate thread, sorry.

Well, my problem is very simple: when I press the Spacebar during a battle, it displays the chevrons (the small symbols showing where your units are going) for a fraction of a second, then they disappear even though the spacebar is still pressed. This occurs both in vanilla Medieval 2, and in the Kingdoms campaigns, but it does not occur in Rome, where the chevrons stay displayed (correctly) as long as space is depressed. It's not exactly game breaking, but it's really annoying as it makes it extremely hard to position my troops with any accuracy.

Frankly, I've no idea what might cause this, so I'd welcome some help. For what it's worth, I'm using WinXP, a Labtec keyboard and a Geforce 9600 GT graphics card (though I don't see why it should be a graphics card problem). Would be grateful for tips on how to solve this issue.

Default Re: Spacebar doesn't work properly in battles

I'm not familiar with that keyboard but have you looked into upgrading the drivers for it? M2 has had trouble with other keyboards in the past - especially wireless keyboards. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

It's a Labtec Standard Keyboard Plus, and their website says (which I kind of new anyway) that there's no software required for it - it's just a plain old bog-standard keyboard. So that surely can't be the problem.

When was the last time you ran Windows Update manually and installed all software options? It could be Microsoft.

Manually? Not recently, that's for sure. I'll try that next and post back with the results.

Well, I updated everything I could, but it didn't improve the situation.

One thing I did notice was that if I try to launch the game via the Launcher.exe the icon points to (which I don't normally do, I prefer to run medieval.exe from Total Commander), then I get a Microsoft NET Framework error message, but I'm able to click OK and proceed to the Launcher, then to the game proper. Don't know if it's related or not to the main issue.

It has nothing to do with it. Do you have another keyboard around or maybe borrow one and see if it also happens on it?

I use medieval2.exe. The first time the launcher showed up on mw monitor after installing 1.2 patch, the icon's target got changed.

I'll try it with another keyboard, but I'll only have access to one tomorrow. Will post back the results.

Well, I tried another keyboard, and no change, problem persists.

By the way, I've discovered a minor addendum to the problem's description: if I press the Spacebar and keep it pressed, it the chevrons flash on and then immediately disappear as I originally said. However, if I keep it pressed for more than another second or two, they'll reappear and re-disappear in a very quickly strobing manner. You know what it's like when in certain applications if you hold down some key too long it will overflow and the computer beeper emits an almost continuous but still broken beep? It's like that rhythm, only visually.

It's the game, then.
    It seems like our programmers have a very short timer on it and totally defeats its purpose if you do more than just tap it. It's definitely a timing thing in the hardcode.

But then how is it possible that other people don't have this problem? If it's the game itself and not some hardware or software specific to my computer, it should be universal, shouldn't it?

I haven't played battles enough to notice and I personally never used the spacebar on the battlemap.

It's still a timing issue whether hadware and/or software. This game is old enough to have "strange habits" but being XP based should not have many for you.

Right now, I have no more answers.

I have the exactly same problem. I mentioned it in a earlier post, but no one had any lever suggestions. I haven't found any solution to the problem, other than just living with it (being more patient, and having to look more closely to see where units are going, and pressing pause more often)

However, the fact that we both have it means we can rule out a lot of potential causes. I am using a Fujutsu siemens laptop with a ATI Mobility radeon X1400 graphic adapter. The laptop keyboard is probably not the problem. Changing shortcut certainly didn't help. I had no problem with this in RTW. Other facts: IntelCore 2 Duo 2ghz processor. Running on Windows XP.

The working chevrons are probably what I miss most about RTW. It would be awesome to solve the problem. But I have no idea where it could come from.

Hmmm... I also have Intel Core 2 duo CPU, rated at 3.06 Ghz (per individual CPU unit, that is), without any sort of over- or underclocking. Think this might be a frequency issue? Personally, I can't test it as I have no access to any other computer to run the game on.

Its rather common to have an intel core processor. Cant think of any way this causes the problem, or how to (if it is the problem) fix it. Maybe updating drivers for processor, if there is such a thing. Im not very good with hardware.

I'm pretty sure such a thing doesn't exist. Anyway, I just tried to launch the game, Alt-Tab out of it, and set the process to only use a single CPU core. Didn't work, but at least I tried.

This game only uses one core and not optimized that good for it. It's programmed to push it through ram, not for effeciency.

Apologies for the necro, but I just wanted to provide the solution to those still looking for it after all these years.

Link to my reddit post on r/totalwar:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...t=share_button

For the reddit adverse:
    1.) Download this text file, rename it as "desc_shortcuts.txt"

2.) Place it inside data/text in your game main directory (where medieval2.exe is, NOT inside your mod folder). If the text folder is not inside data, create it.

3.) Delete "keys.dat" inside the preferences folder from both your mods and your game's main directory.

4.) Launch the game and rebind your keys except for "Show Waypoints".

What's the fix?

The desc_shortcuts.txt file contains the entry show_waypoints SPACE, which determines which key is used to show unit waypoints (Spacebar by default). I only added the word repeating beside SPACE after noticing that other keys that need to be held down also have that word beside them (i.e. for keybinds concerning camera movement). After testing, the flickering for unit waypoints have disappeared completely.

What if I use another key to show unit destination?

Creative Assembly has listed down valid keyboard codes at the very beginning of desc_shortcuts.txt. All you need to do is copy your desired keyboard code and replace SPACE on both instances of show_waypoints. Remember to not remove the word "repeating" beside it, and remember to do Step 3.

Thanks to this post for indirectly teaching me how to unbind keys, where I then stumbled upon how to do this fix. The post taught me the importance of all the steps on how to make this all work. All I really did was put "repeating" beside "SPACE". I apologize if this was already discovered before. I couldn't find a real working solution myself when searching on my own, only people who think VSync is the best way to alleviate the flickering or people thinking this was a glitch.
    Last edited by RLTYProds; May 22, 2024 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Formatting