Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: (Recruiting) Crimean War Mod (Part of the Victorian Age Mod Project)

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: (Recruiting) Crimean War Mod

The British used an Enfield pattern 1853
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    max range of 2000 yards, but effective at more like 900, 3+ shots per minute

French used minie rifles, 2-3 shots per minute 1000 yards

Dont worry bout the Russians, they still used smoothbore muskets, some still left over from the napoleonic wars

The Austrians also used a Minie variety, the Lorenz 2-3 shots per minute

The Prussians used the Needle gun 1000 yards, 6-8 rounds per minute, this was the 1865 model but it will do The needle gun was BREECH loaded meaning more shots.

The Sardinians, like the Turks used smoothbores HOWEVER (important) The Sardinian Bersaglieri (their sharpshooters if you will)
    used rife muskets
    Last edited by 'Gunny; June 21, 2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: the needle gun was 1000 yards, not 100

Praepositus

wow, thanks a lot for info on weaponry +rep

Content Emeritus

My pleasure

BTW My plans for the mod are at least 2 Custom Battle Beta's and then worry about the Campaign. And pvtgunny is now on the team.

Miles

Looks GREAT!

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

Looks amazing, I cannot wait!

Content Emeritus

Ok ive been doing more research on the Crimean War, I also have some pictures of factions that arent France, Great Britain, and Russia.
    Faction Leader List- Great Britain - Quenn Victoria; France: Napoleon III; Prussia: Frederick Willhelm IV Baden: Louis II; Austria: Franz Joseph; Saxony: John of Saxony; Russia will be tricky but it wont be 100% accurate but Nicholas I was tsar at the beginning f the war; Sardinia: Victor Emmanuel II; Greece: Otto; Bavaria: Ludwig I; Wallachia: Alexandru Ghica; Sweden Oscar I, Ottomans: Abdülmecid I; Belgium: Leopold I; Netherlands: William III; Spain: Isabella II; and Portugal: Pedro V
    Thats all th monarchs I have so far, if need be i can get you their pics too
    Prussians in 1850s

Not exactly spot on with the dates but these are basic representations of the Austrian soldiers of the time

Clockwise from the top: British 17th Lancer, Russian Infantryman of the Line, a Turkish gunner and a British Grenadier of the 89th Foot. – 1854 Crimean War

Fun Fact: Did you know that the last veteran of the crimean war died in 2004?

Ok this is just a little bit more uniform and monarch info I wont be able to do much else until at least tuesday as I am taking a short trip but I will stay active

Praepositus

Fun Fact: Did you know that the last veteran of the crimean war died in 2004?
    does he have any pics?

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Amaz View Post
    does he have any pics?

Are you Ready? BEHOLD
    Timmy, the Tortoise

Content Emeritus

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...tos-(1854-1856) lots more of excellent photos of unifors etc here

i cant see any news about this mod for a long time.when will this mod release?

A few corrective notes:
    Most armies still had, to some degree, smoothbore muskets. The problem was that rifled muskets were still new and, for the most part, in the process of being adopted.
    From "The British Army on Campaign: The Crimean: 1854-1856"

"Although the Minie rifle had been selected in 1851 to replace the 1842 percussion musket as the infantryman's weapon, it was in 1854, far from being a general issue...however, by 10 September, 80 Minie's per battalion had been approved."

Later on it mentions that the Enfield rifle was not seen in the field in any quantity until 1855.

The Russians, at the same time, did indeed issue rifled muskets, specifically the model 1854. The only unmodified 'Napoleonic' muskets were in the hands of reserve units and militia. Otherwise, the Russians were armed with percussion weapons.

It should also be noted that in jaeger, Cossack and rifle units the Russians had much higher standards of accuracy than in the line infantry.

My suggestion would be to give all factions two different infantry units. A 'musket' unit which is cheap but has low range and accuracy, and a 'rifle' unit which has better range and accuracy, but is more expensive.

Swerg, correct me if i'm wrong but I was doing some light reading on the Battle of Inkerman and Sir John Pennefather's Second Division of 2,700 infantry attacked some 15,300 Russian infantry and were able to bottleneck them in a valley and decimate them because they were armed with the Pattern 1853 Enfield's and the Russian infantry which had originally attacked Pennefather's Division were armed with smoothbore muskets.

Also, it has been a long while since I have done any hard reading on the Crimean War, so I am just trying to remember some information. But if I recall the Russian's seemed to have the same issue of WW1/2 as in the Crimean War of not having enough weaponry and ammunition for their troops, as at Inkerman at one point in the battle if I remember correctly they attacked with pike armed troops.

Some units would, I imagine, have received their shiny new rifles earlier than others, and, in general, the British weapons would have been in better condition than Russian ones...as is mentioned in the same Osprey book, the Russian army was basically a parade piece at the start of the war. The Russian 'charge' was conducted at 75 paces per minute, as it was in the early phases of the Napoleonic Wars, and more emphasis was placed upon the style of the charge than its substance (the belief being that, naturally, the inferior British infantry would flee at the sight of massed Russian bayonets).

As far as I am aware, all the Russian soldiers in the Crimean War had real weapons and no frontline unit in the Russian army was issued pikes after the reign of Peter the Great, who only revived the weapon as a stopgap himself. Sometimes militia were issued pikes or farm tools as weapons, but these units were not put at the front, rather, they would have been used as logistics personnel...AKA: human donkeys. The same would apply to flintlock muskets and any other comically primitive weapons (Although flintlocks converted to percussion would be common in all armies at this point).

Ammunition might be a different matter, but I can't find any specific mention of it. Almost every book on the subject in English is written from the British point of view and focused on the Charge of the Light Brigade. However, the main issues of the Russian army were the quality of its equipment, much of it was out of date (although not fully obsolete) and the training, which focused on marching neatly and looking good on the parade ground.

The Russians were, though, in the process of correcting the latter towards the end of the war, however, Nicholas' death put an end to the war. The technological issues appears to have been more persistent, possibly because Nicholas I was rather like Russia's version of Ulysses S. Grant in terms of executive ability.

Considered in game terms, a workable solution might be to start the French, British and Italians with the first one or two tiers of the tech tree researched and partially implemented (that is, a few rifle units and a few barracks to build them in), but the technology would not yet be *common.*

It's also worth noting that the Russian navy suffered none of the technophobia issues of the Russian army. They were, at the time, a very modern force, equipped with the latest in shell-firing guns and fancy steam engines. Of course, being massively outnumbered meant that they didn't get to show off very much (Tagnarog being the only significant naval battle, I think, after the Russians got bored with the Ottomans.) The noteable exception being Kinburn, although in that case the loss was due to the French use of Ironclads which, so far as naval warfare in the era went, had the notable weakness of being more or less immobile

One of the most important aspects of the war is to note that not every battle was the knock-down victory such as at Inkerman. The Siege of Petropavlovsk was a rather nice Russian victory, casualties were far closer at the Battle of Alma and the Siege of Sevastopol was a bloody mess on both sides. Even the famous Battle of Balaclava was a close thing in terms of casualties. Generally battles were close in terms of casualties and, indeed, over the entire course of the war, the allies lost MORE men than the Russians.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

The links (taken from Crimean War Research Society website http://cwrs.russianwar.co.uk/cwrsentry.html to uniform plates at the New York Public Library, Vinkhuijzen Collection of military uniform prints. They connect to the start of the appropriate sections:
    British, part 1 http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...id=745924&word=
    French, part 1 http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...id=585347&word=
    Russian, part 1 http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...id=284556&word=
    Turkish, 1850-96 http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...id=245307&word=
    Sardinian http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...d=1014094&word=

List of books available for full download http://cwrs.russianwar.co.uk/cwrsentry.html
    English translations of some Russian texts at http://marksrussianmilitaryhistory.info/#Crimean War
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; September 16, 2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: additional link

Hi all, All interesting but it's not true.
    i live in Crimea (Крым) Sevastopol - Inkerman.
    Participated in restoration of battle on the river Alma.
    For you much bad information and errors, can help.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

I so hope this isn't dead, I'm pretty useless at everything but I'd be more than willing to help out in some way or other.

This is not dead but my internet has been down for the past three months. I'm at a WI Fi hotspot now so this is a one post but as soon as I get my internet fixed I will revive this from the dead and complete it.

Content Emeritus

We await your return with baited breath

Hopefully it will be fixed soon as I really enjoyed working on the mod. I stopped progress until I had my internet back. Thanks for your support and next time I'm on here hopefully I'll be back in Bussiness.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast