Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: DotS Progress Report

Default Re: DotS Progress Report

Just looked your spring 2010 preview again. Finally a mod were you can go up rivers with fleets(have been suggesting this too in BC 3.0 version they are making ...but too much work for hardcodding they said) (i think it will be possible to build riverports too then i suppose as in ss6.3...and represent them with a small graphic icon on the map?).
    In your preview of the map i see it goes too Iran. I hope the masses of land will be as big as in SS.
    Great maps makes great mods(proven BC,SS are great and popular mods)....I hope your mod comes out by end december 2010 or begin 2011 (no pressure).
    Well i'll just have to wait for the preview in the mean time. Just supporting you guys...it's truly going to be a mod with a whole new experiences.

good luck.

Problem with rivers is that the AI can struggle to use them correctly, depending on the scale. In BC, the map is 4500 km wide, but the grid square is 1021 in size. Roughly factor that in, you're looking a 5 kilometre wide river for a single navigable river. If you want to be able to pass side by side, that's 9km wide. So that a single ship doesn't provide the total blockade to the river by standing in the middle, it's 18km across.

Also, putting in a navigable river that the AI doesn't use leads to one thing - exploitation. In the same manner that Stakes behind castle gates destroyed France and the mongols for me in Vanilla, the same applies to the rivers. Then there's the issue of fordings, bridges, and crossings.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Yepp, we are going to be very selective with our use of nav rivers, and in fact it isn't a guaranteed feature yet/anymore, it's likely to be used if at all in parts of the Russian rivers. Da.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Yepp, we are going to be very selective with our use of nav rivers, and in fact it isn't a guaranteed feature yet/anymore, it's likely to be used if at all in parts of the Russian rivers. Da.
    Oh that's a shame I would have loved to have seen a navigable Danube.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Quote Originally Posted by \Vazul's Ghost/ View Post
    Oh that's a shame I would have loved to have seen a navigable Danube.
    And you would hate the dozen of problems it would cause... there is a thread in mod workshop mapping tutorials about navigable rivers which in fact concluded that this feature is broken beyond repair. It's essentially a work-around which brings numerous problems which cannot be solved. That does not mean we won't use them at all but as Hross pointed out it will be only in places where the damage done would be minimal and benefits gained would be great. Perfect example is the Russia where "the roads problem" is not the case as there were no roads in there simply. The other candidate is Nile but it has to be discussed yet. Danube will most likely not be navigable. It could be without much trouble navigable somewhere to the border of historical Wallachia however unless it was navigable up to Vienna (which would bring serious head-ache) at least it would be of questionable strategic value and thus Danube will not be made navigable at all most likely.

For further details see: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198171 posts 15 (mine) and 16 (gigantus').

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    And you would hate the dozen of problems it would cause... there is a thread in mod workshop mapping tutorials about navigable rivers which in fact concluded that this feature is broken beyond repair. It's essentially a work-around which brings numerous problems which cannot be solved. That does not mean we won't use them at all but as Hross pointed out it will be only in places where the damage done would be minimal and benefits gained would be great. Perfect example is the Russia where "the roads problem" is not the case as there were no roads in there simply. The other candidate is Nile but it has to be discussed yet. Danube will most likely not be navigable. It could be without much trouble navigable somewhere to the border of historical Wallachia however unless it was navigable up to Vienna (which would bring serious head-ache) at least it would be of questionable strategic value and thus Danube will not be made navigable at all most likely.

For further details see: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198171 posts 15 (mine) and 16 (gigantus').
    Hmmmm.... Yes after reading that thread I can see your point. I was certain the DOTS team had a good reason anyway, it was just wishful thinking that a navigable Danube would work. Besides, having navigable rivers in Russia will add a unique game play element to that region to compensate for the sprawled out settlements and terrain that can make it a bit boring in other mods.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Well if your map is right in grand preview then you can go by ship around arabia (not completly but you get my point)....so the nile is in my opinion the one river you should certainly do to go by ship from scandinavia to iran....would be awesome.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

TBH we have SOOOO much going on in the campaign map and SOOO many historical figures, characters, titles and all kinds of details that I don't think you'll miss a few rivers not being navigable. Of course the nav rivers that we include are clearly going to be a nice feature, but the camp map is going to be very full

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    TBH we have SOOOO much going on in the campaign map and SOOO many historical figures, characters, titles and all kinds of details
    I understand, it was just seeing the possibility in mod workshop i became overenthousiastic about this.
    PS i don't think going by ship from europe to asia by ship is historically accurate either....

Eh, what? Of course Europe to Asia was historical by ship.

During the Second Crusade, the Crusaders left England by ship, captured Lisbon, then proceeded to Jerusalem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Eh, what? Of course Europe to Asia was historical by ship.

During the Second Crusade, the Crusaders left England by ship, captured Lisbon, then proceeded to Jerusalem.
    What i meant was by ship to india,Iran....by using the nile

Most likely not - considering the Suez Canal wasn't completed until the 19th Century.

PS i don't think going by ship from europe to asia by ship is historically accurate either....
    Most likely not - considering the Suez Canal wasn't completed until the 19th Century.
    That was my point. Keep up the good work

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

There was a canal from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea in the Roman period iirc, maybe it wasn't there my the Medieval period though.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    There was a canal from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea in the Roman period iirc, maybe it wasn't there my the Medieval period though.
    yes there was in roman period, but in medieval not anymore....i suspect no money for upkeep and with the new moslim rulers....

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    yes there was in roman period, but in medieval not anymore....i suspect no money for upkeep and with the new moslim rulers....
    The Muslim rulers of Egypt had plenty of money, but the Abbasid Caliph al-Mansur had it deliberately filled in. I'm not certain why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    The Muslim rulers of Egypt had plenty of money, but the Abbasid Caliph al-Mansur had it deliberately filled in. I'm not certain why.
    Interesting, now i need to go research it, cause i want to know

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

What little I know of this has to do with rebels in the Nile Delta and Medina, the canal was closed to starve them out.

Signature made by Joar

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

Err, could someone give us a detail about the current mod progress, if it is possible?

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TuCoT View Post
    Err, could someone give us a detail about the current mod progress, if it is possible?
    The first post of this thread was 3 months ago, granted, but we are about to release numerous promo stuffs so we don't have time for updating our percentages every 3 weeks. We have progressed since this thread was posted, if that's what your worried about.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."