Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCEMENTS, Questions, Concerns, Commentary, & and SPAM,SPAM, SPAM.

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Default Re: ANNOUNCEMENTS, Questions, Concerns, Commentary, & and SPAM,SPAM, SPAM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Old Dragoon♔ View Post
    Interesting thought there Nefarious, and it does seem more in the spirit so to speak. I have to concur with you sah!
    This is the way it used to be...we wrote tales based on the given picture. We were having trouble with participation at the time...so Mega asked if opening up with more pictures and the freedom to write anything would help, and many people thought it would. That is how we came to where we are now. Have things changed now? If one pic was presented, and the story had to be a theme on it, would we lose writers? I don't know.

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: ANNOUNCEMENTS, Questions, Concerns, Commentary, & and SPAM,SPAM, SPAM.

I wasn't aware of that...new to TOTW, but if I am understanding your post right there was only 1 pic right? However, there are many pics provided by Mega now to come up with a great story that wouldn't call to question the fairness on any story being a rehearsed/refurbished tale that had been all polished up.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

I think that using the pictures given by Mega should be used. Sometimes you'll have no idea what to write and sometimes you will. I think it makes it more interesting this way.
    More stories of 'the same kind' to be compared.

Artifex

One other option is to allow for any tale like it is now, but offer half-points to the winner if it is not related to one of the pics. Encourages people to use the Mega-pics, but still keeps it open.

(LOL@ your sig Oggie hehe)

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

I tend to disagree, I feel that as long it is related to the prompt you dont have to use one of the provided pics

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Thanks Nanny.
    I don't think that people should be awarded less points. It wouldn't be fair I guess.
    Maybe you can suggest that you could use a picture of your own but there should be a relation between your picture and those posted by Mega.
    For instance Mega posts a Samurai you have a picture of a knight.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Oggie♔ View Post
    Thanks Nanny.
    I don't think that people should be awarded less points. It wouldn't be fair I guess.
    Maybe you can suggest that you could use a picture of your own but there should be a relation between your picture and those posted by Mega.
    For instance Mega posts a Samurai you have a picture of a knight.
    I like this suggestion...although what happens when someone posts a story and picture and the relationship isn't obvious? Mega has the play the heavy on a judgement call...or else someone else has to complain if that story wins, and that would feel petty and embarrassing.

Maybe a less formal approach is in order...a standard statement by Mega in each voting thread: "We encourage showing appreciation to those Tales that are in-theme with the pics below..." sorta thing?

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Sounds good to me

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Linking anyone directly to a vote, also incurs an automatic three month forum ban.

So, if I have this right, then someone in the competition can't even say:

"Hey folk! TATW voting is ON! We love having lots of participation and the writers all really appreciate your support...vote HERE [direct link to vote]"

or am I not understanding it? I'm getting a little hung up on the direct link to vote phrase, because it reads as a standalone rule aside from the 'asking for vote' elements. Am I missing something obvious (always a distinct possibility)?
    this is a post by me, Nanny, that was meant as a quote of Mega's post...instead I deleted Mega's words with the edit button...sorry Mega, and everyone for the confusion
    Last edited by Nanny de Bodemloze; January 23, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Content Emeritus

The above post confuses me, Nanny, did you mean to quote?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by pvtgunny View Post
    The above post confuses me, Nanny, did you mean to quote?
    Yes...I have edit priviledges left over from many moons ago that I didn't know I still had, hit the Edit button when I meant to hit the Quote button, thus totally messing up Mega's post. OK, get in line, and everybody just start slapping me.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Due to Mega's prolonged absence, pvtgunny has graciously agreed to run the show in his stead. Welcome him!

Artifex

thanks very much pvtgunny! You'll do great

Nefarious's Avatar Tiro

So we should be up and moving again, shortly?
    Thank you, pvtgunny. No easy task ahead, but an appreciated one.
    Every time I venture from New Orleans,
    I get the sensation of leaving Oz and landing on Kansas.

-------
    You want to know what? Really?? My political profile? Are you sure? Alright, then...

Content Emeritus

My pleasure, I put up a revote for 99, and I'll take care of 100 vote and submissions for 101 when I get home later tonight
    I'll do my best to fill his shoes for the time being

does anybody know how long mega is not going to be here ?

Content Emeritus

Nope he just sort of faded into darkness

MEGAA!!! :'(

Content Emeritus

Remeber guys we got two votes up, 100 and a revote on 99

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Right on. And thanks for doing Mega's job in his absence