View Poll Results: Favorite faction to play as so far?

Voters
366. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mordor

24 6.56%
  • Gondor

81 22.13%
  • Rohan

25 6.83%
  • Isengard

32 8.74%
  • Rhun

14 3.83%
  • Dale

15 4.10%
  • Balchoth

5 1.37%
  • Variags

7 1.91%
  • Harad

6 1.64%
  • Eriador/Men of the West

35 9.56%
  • Reunited Kingdom

33 9.02%
  • Beornings

8 2.19%
  • Dwarves of Erebor

24 6.56%
  • Dwarves of Ered Luin

8 2.19%
  • Orocarni Dwarves

25 6.83%
  • High Elves

41 11.20%
  • Galadhrim Elves

26 7.10%
  • Mirkwood Elves

21 5.74%
  • Avari Elves

31 8.47%
  • Dunlendings

6 1.64%
  • Corsairs and Outlaws

11 3.01%
  • Orcs of the Misty Mountains

5 1.37%
  • Orcs of Gundabad

5 1.37%
  • Brood of Ancalagon

6 1.64%
  • Brood of Glaurung

2 0.55%
  • Brood of Scatha

2 0.55%
  • Spawn of Ungoliant

2 0.55%
  • Creatures of the Night

2 0.55%
  • Creations of Eru

10 2.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 265 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223243964114 ... LastLast

Thread: Dagor Ennor (aka PCP) ~ M2TW & TATW Re-Imagined ~ 31 Factions + 32 Rebel Factions ~ MAXED Buildings/Units/Regions ~ Interact with ALL the indigenous peoples of Middle-Earth... and then terminate them with extreme prejudice.

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: ~Perillicious Creature Mod~

Wow! I am really impressed with where this mod is going!

But I have yet another question, for the winged creatures (Bats, Dragons, Fell Beasts, etc...). Are they actually going to fly? From what I have been told, flying animations are impossible. But as this mod and others are showing, the word "Impossible" is VERY relative and at times, wrong ...

Also, are you planning on tweaking the animations for Wargs and Wolves so they behave more "Dog-like" and less "Camel-like"...

Finally, I have to say I'm glad your not wasting time with the "Mountain Giant". Though cool, It really shouldn't be a rebel unit. If anything it should be added to the OotMM faction.

Keep up the great work !
    RTR RULES!!!!

No flying creatures. The actual flying animations are far from impossible, quite easy actually, but making the creatures dive and attack from really high up would be quite impossible in this game I believe. I can make the bats and such "fly" a couple meters/yards off of the ground, I did do some testing for fun and it works well enough if you give them lots of speed and have them constantly charging to attack. But as of now I don't care about the "flash" so much as I do the "bang." Everything I am making is on four legs or less. I am going to add some well needed units and challenges to the campaign as quick and easy as possible, so they can walk and crawl for all I care, which most did anyway. Even the winged dragons, Smaug included, preferred to fight on the ground in the books.

Edit: And no killer trees either, they only (sort of) took part in one battle, ever. The rest of the time they were just getting chopped down. They don't work for the lore or for the gameplay.

As of now I am using existing animations, but I am in the process of customizing them as best as possible. I made the units to work well with the animations, which was a big reason I made my units from scratch. Worst case the animations will be just as good as those already in game. All I can say is we will see if my planning pays off. But I am not using the camel animation for anything, so they definitely will not walk or run like camels.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 26, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Amon Amarth 930's Avatar Artifex

All what you say (and what i read in this thread) sounds awesome, since i know from Third Age and i worked also on a fantasy-based mod, i dream of such nice creatures.
    Maybe,... you can say when the times come that i can play them self?

Third Age Member (Fellowship-Scripter)
    Under the Patronage of MasterBigAb

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth 930 View Post
    All what you say (and what i read in this thread) sounds awesome
    That's just how I roll.

since i know from Third Age and i worked also on a fantasy-based mod, i dream of such nice creatures.
    Maybe,... you can say when the times come that i can play them self?
    I assume you mean playable factions. If so than I was planning on making them playable just for fun, though I am not sure if I would ever play them or not. So as long as it is not too difficult and time consuming... and I don't have to do all the work myself then it will probably happen. Ungoliant's faction will be able to recruit most of the creature units as AoR mercs, when I get around to including that, so that alone is enough for me. And that faction will be playable for sure, cause it sounds fun! Though I may have to make a late campaign Fourth Age mod for the invasion and what not to make them playable, not sure yet. It's a plausible and fun re-envisioning, seeing as Ungoliant is most likely still alive, as Tolkien never said she died.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 26, 2010 at 08:34 PM.

Amon Amarth 930's Avatar Artifex

Actually i mean only a version where i can see them ingame, on my side or as enemies - i dont care. Both is probably funny.

And with scripting and various coding-Stuff (except most of 2D-Coding stuff, i´m not well experienced in this sector) i can help you - if you want

Third Age Member (Fellowship-Scripter)
    Under the Patronage of MasterBigAb

Actually i mean only a version where i can see them ingame, on my side or as enemies - i dont care. Both is probably funny.
    I do not understand what you mean.

And with scripting and various coding-Stuff (except most of 2D-Coding stuff, i´m not well experienced in this sector) i can help you - if you want
    I will send you a PM.

Amon Amarth just wants to know when you will release a playable version for people to test. In fact, so would i

________Loyal fan of Stainless Steel and Third Age________
    (\_/)
    (ಠ_ಠ { WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?!)
    c(")(")

Oh... most of the hard work is done except for some animations I am still finishing up. So it just depends on how much I feel like working on putting the units and factions in game and getting around to finishing the skins, which is more time consuming than difficult. I honestly only work on this mod about 10 minutes a day on average, more when I am doing something fun. Coding, etc. is no fun, so I have no idea how long it will take me if I have to do it all myself. I will probably release a beta in the coming weeks, but only to certain people, mainly those who know their stuff and/or are helping me out. I don't foresee any bugs on my end though, I am pretty meticulous. I would say this mod needs at least 5-10 more hours of work before it can be released, which could take me a single day or over a month depending on how I spread the work out. And even then it will not be everything I want it to be, I am simply adding way too much stuff to do it all at once.

So bottom line is "...when it is done."
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 27, 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Oh... most of the hard work is done except for some animations I am still finishing up. So it just depends on how much I feel like working on putting the units and factions in game and getting around to finishing the skins, which is more time consuming than difficult. I honestly only work on this mod about 10 minutes a day on average, more when I am doing something fun. Coding, etc. is no fun, so I have no idea how long it will take me if I have to do it all myself. I will probably release a beta in the coming weeks, but only to certain people, mainly those who know their stuff and/or are helping me out. I don't foresee any bugs on my end though, I am pretty meticulous. I would say this mod needs at least 5-10 more hours of work before it can be released, which could take me a single day or over a month depending on how I spread the work out. And even then it will not be everything I want it to be.

So bottom line is "...when it is done."
    man, you are fast. 5 more hours to implement them. 10 minute per day to create them. it would take me days to create a single similar unit and a week at least to implement this huge number of units

10 minutes a day on average for two or more months (I don't remember when I started this) is quite a bit of time for me. Honestly though I did fly through those models, but it was a lot of fun doing it. I haven't had much time to be "artsy fartsy" in the past 8 or so years due to wars and school, and what not. So I am currently spending most of my free time reading fiction and creating whatever I want. But when I come to a point where I have to work on something I don't really want to, then I may put it off for weeks! ...which has happened a few times already
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 27, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

Glaurung, Father of Dragons

Glaurung was the first of the fire-drakes, the Uruloki, created by Morgoth. Though not of the winged race of Dragons, he was the greatest terror of his time. He burst forth from the caverns of Angband after only a century of growth and burned and savaged the lands of the Elves, merely testing his power. Terrible though it was, his strength had barely developed and his scale armour was still vulnerable. Fingon, prince of Hithlum, drove Glaurung back to Angband, where Morgoth kept the Dragon for two more centuries, having planned for him to grow to full power before unleashing him upon the world and displeased with his impulsive assualt on Hithlum and Dorthonion. In the Wars of Beleriand, beginning the Fourth battle,the Uruloki were let loose. Glaurung, the great Worm, unleashed his full power, his great size and scorching fire clearing a path through the armies of his foe. Assisted by Balrogs and black legions of Orcs, the siege of Angband was broken and the Elves despaired.

In the Fifth Battle, which became known as the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, Glaurung wrought even more terrible destruction than before. In the mysterious ways of Dragons, he had fathered a brood of lesser Fire-drakes and Cold-Drakes. His brood accompanied him to war and a great army of both Elves and Men fell before them. Only the Dwarves of Belegost could withstand the Dragon-flame, having come to battle their common foe. Although Glaurung held the territories he gained by might of battle, he also bought many under his command with the binding power of his Dragon-spell.

Many years later, after Glaurung had sacked and destroyed the kingdom of Nargothrond, the mortal Turin Turambar, son of Hurin, used stealth to reach the mighty Dragon and drove his sword Gurthang deep in the beast's underbelly, inflicting a mortal wound. By the Dragon's poisonous black blood and the venom of his last words, Turin also died.

I'll try to finish the Dragon's descriptions ASAP - the release of TATW 2 has distracted me!
    Last edited by Thuringwethil; August 13, 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Ancalagon

The greatest Dragon to ever enter the world was Ancalagon, 'Rushing jaws', the black. At the close of the First Age of Sun, the mighty black dragon devestated the army of the West in the Great Battle and War of Wrath. First of the winged Dragons, he flew out of Angband like mighty storm clouds of wind and fire in defence of Morgoth's realm. The winged Dragons' arrival was the first the World had seen of their kind and, for a time, Morgoth's foes retreated in fear, unable to withstand their terrible assualt. Then, all the warrior birds of the Earth came out of the West to counter this dread threat from the skies, including the Eagles and the warrior Earendil in his flying ship 'Vingilot'. The battle in the air lasted a long time and many were slain on both sides. At last, Earendil was victorious and Ancalagon was cast down. The other Dragons were killed or fled. Thus, Morgoth's power was broken for ever and Ancalagon's death marked the end of the War of Wrath.

Scatha

After the defeat of Ancalagon and his kindred in the Great Battle, so great was their downfall that no mention of Dragons is made again until the Third Age of Sun. In this time, they inhabited the wastes beyond the Grey Mountains of the North. The histories of Middle-earth mention Dragons again when it is said that their greed attracted them to the hoarded wealth of the Seven Kings of Dwarves. The mightiest Dragon of the Grey Mountains was Scatha the Worm. The Dwarves fled their halls in fear and dread of Scatha's assualt, but one man stood and gave battle, a prince among Men. The warrior Fram, son of Frumgar, chieftain of the Eotheod, slew Scatha by his own hand and, temporarily, dispelled the terror of the Dragons.

In time, however, many Cold-Drakes returned to the Grey Mountians. The Dwarves valiantly resisted their attack for a long period of time but, eventually, they were overwhelmed. Their warriors fell one by one and the Dragons claimed the gold-rich Grey Mountains.

Smaug's description to follow.
    Last edited by Thuringwethil; July 29, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Ok, makes sense . But just tossing around mores ideas, but what if you were to make a dragon unit that flys and breaths fire down on the battle field. Just and idea from my brother ....

BTW, I couldn't help but notice you were going to make a bat unit for the regions of Eriador. I think I have a REALLY GOOD idea (And description with pics) that you may like even more ..... Wild Boars! My idea is inspires by the fact Wild Boars are an increasingly bothersome threat in the areas like Florida. They Travel in large herds and can be particularily nasty (even fatal). Hunting them was a major sport in the middle ages that was very dangerous. So without further ado, my idea ......

Pics for Inspiration
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Description:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    To the Dwarves, their sport and a hearty meal. To Dunedain and Elves, their a creature to be respected. To the simple Men of Eriador, their a nuisance. But to the Hobbit folk of the Shire, their a terror. What I and Legend speak of is the Boar of Eriador. These creatures are not evil, but they cause great harm to anything (from Farm to Traveller) that comes in contact with their massive herds. The daring hunt them for sport, but the meek fight them for survival. Their skin is unusualy rough, which makes them hard to kill. Their razor sharp tusks/teath make them deadly up close. With their speed and coordination, they are easily as deadly as wolves in the usually docile lands of the west. Rumor flows about the taverns, that these monsters may be intelligent, and that they are ruled by a particularily crafty Matriarch. But that could be the Ale talking.......

So what do you think ? I think that these would fit in more in the Fields/Mountains or Western Eriador than bats. Not to mention the animations would be simpler to do as well. You would just need to
    "Tolkien-ize" them. In other words, make them larger and give them monsterous tusks . Just mor food for thought.....
    RTR RULES!!!!

Calaurin's Avatar Libertus
    Northern Italy - close to the mountains, lost in the wooden hills

Yo Mama, ...Oh snap! Is anybody actually reading this whole post?

Well, I am
    Great job you are doing.

Looks cool. Cant wait to do beast hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Agentdiaz View Post
    Looks cool. Cant wait to do beast hunting.
    and elf killing with the spidies

You will be the hunted at first

As for the wild boars I have considered adding them since the beginning, I even made a model. But I wanted to place them near Mirkwood, and there is now no room for them so they will not be included anytime soon, if at all. I also made bears, which I have no room for, and I would rather add them then boars. At any rate I am not going to animate either of them unless I need them, and I will not know that for sure until all the other units are added and balanced.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 29, 2010 at 01:01 PM.

As for the wild boars I have considered adding them since the beginning, I even made a model. But I wanted to place them near Mirkwood, and there is now no room for them so they will not be included anytime soon, if at all. I also made bears, which I have no room for, and I would rather add them then boars. At any rate I am not going to animate either of them unless I need them, and I will not know that for sure until all the other units are added and balanced.
    Alrighty, that makes sense ..... What are you working on currently?

Another question that intruiges me ... What do you plan on doing for the attack animations of some of these creatures? I mean, are wolves going to initially pounce on their victims and bite? Are Dragons going to smash a unit or two with their tails? What do you have planned ?

Thanks for all the info you have given
    RTR RULES!!!!

Depends on the size of the creature. The smaller ones, around man size, are using the wardog animation so they jump and attack. Larger ones will mostly charge and trample, and hopefully use their claws but I'm still working on it. Yes their tails do hit everyone in the way when they turn fast, which they do often enough. I believe it does the same damage as being trampled but I still have to check.

Currently I am testing units in custom battles, animations and stats mostly. However, I still have to get around to d/ling and playing tatw 2.0 to get a feel for what has changed.

Plus I am going on a trip out into the wilderness for a few days to let the dog see what it is like. So I obviously will not have my computer with me, because I would need a really long extension cord. Which would of course get snagged on everything...
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 31, 2010 at 02:49 AM.