View Poll Results: Favorite faction to play as so far?

Voters
366. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mordor

24 6.56%
  • Gondor

81 22.13%
  • Rohan

25 6.83%
  • Isengard

32 8.74%
  • Rhun

14 3.83%
  • Dale

15 4.10%
  • Balchoth

5 1.37%
  • Variags

7 1.91%
  • Harad

6 1.64%
  • Eriador/Men of the West

35 9.56%
  • Reunited Kingdom

33 9.02%
  • Beornings

8 2.19%
  • Dwarves of Erebor

24 6.56%
  • Dwarves of Ered Luin

8 2.19%
  • Orocarni Dwarves

25 6.83%
  • High Elves

41 11.20%
  • Galadhrim Elves

26 7.10%
  • Mirkwood Elves

21 5.74%
  • Avari Elves

31 8.47%
  • Dunlendings

6 1.64%
  • Corsairs and Outlaws

11 3.01%
  • Orcs of the Misty Mountains

5 1.37%
  • Orcs of Gundabad

5 1.37%
  • Brood of Ancalagon

6 1.64%
  • Brood of Glaurung

2 0.55%
  • Brood of Scatha

2 0.55%
  • Spawn of Ungoliant

2 0.55%
  • Creatures of the Night

2 0.55%
  • Creations of Eru

10 2.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 265 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Dagor Ennor (aka PCP) ~ M2TW & TATW Re-Imagined ~ 31 Factions + 32 Rebel Factions ~ MAXED Buildings/Units/Regions ~ Interact with ALL the indigenous peoples of Middle-Earth... and then terminate them with extreme prejudice.

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

Default Re: Perillicious Creature Mod

//
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    It just needs animation, however the dragons won't be flying, as such is impossible given the M2TW engine.
    well flying units are not impossible - at least visually and functional - but i think you always will need to have
    a grounded connection between a unit and the battlemap surface - no matter if this connection is visible or not.
    the moving of flying creatures will also be kinda tricky since it is really hard to make flying stop-and-go animations.

there issomething that is really impossible with the M2TW engine: creating flying units that can't stand still in the
    air like the fell beast. eagles for example always have to fly. they can't stop in the air - they always have to land
    somewhere to stop or they have to fly in circles and forth and back. but fell beast flying and moving like in the movies
    should be possible. problem here is the fact that those flying units would not be able to fly over other things like trees
    or buildings without getting stuck somewhere. even to let them fly over other units would be hard. but maybe someday
    anyone will find a way to lift units a certain distance from the ground.

what i ask myself here is how these flying unit should do an attack on enemy units. dragons could use the greek flame
    throwing ability from kingdoms crusades. or maybe archers on they back. but this would be kinda weird for fellbeasts.
    in the movies and the books they only were used for transportation i think. they never really fought on their own, or
    am i wrong here?

the other issue would be how to fight against such flying units. catapults and ballistas would have no big chance to hit them.
    archers would be the only way to fight them. but archer suck at firing at fast moving units - now imagine they have
    to go for a fast flying unit. really not easy.

but someone should try it out. i think it is definitely worth a try.

//

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

I'd prefer a non-winged dragon. Like Glaurung. I think cold drakes were wingless or is it just me?
    at least we'd avoid countless bugs with flying units

and @jan
    at least in LOTRTW fellbests were an easy prey for archers, who had no difficulty targeting them

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by jản View Post
    //

well flying units are not impossible - at least visually and functional - but i think you always will need to have
    a grounded connection between a unit and the battlemap surface - no matter if this connection is visible or not.
    the moving of flying creatures will also be kinda tricky since it is really hard to make flying stop-and-go animations.

there issomething that is really impossible with the M2TW engine: creating flying units that can't stand still in the
    air like the fell beast. eagles for example always have to fly. they can't stop in the air - they always have to land
    somewhere to stop or they have to fly in circles and forth and back. but fell beast flying and moving like in the movies
    should be possible. problem here is the fact that those flying units would not be able to fly over other things like trees
    or buildings without getting stuck somewhere. even to let them fly over other units would be hard. but maybe someday
    anyone will find a way to lift units a certain distance from the ground.

what i ask myself here is how these flying unit should do an attack on enemy units. dragons could use the greek flame
    throwing ability from kingdoms crusades. or maybe archers on they back. but this would be kinda weird for fellbeasts.
    in the movies and the books they only were used for transportation i think. they never really fought on their own, or
    am i wrong here?

the other issue would be how to fight against such flying units. catapults and ballistas would have no big chance to hit them.
    archers would be the only way to fight them. but archer suck at firing at fast moving units - now imagine they have
    to go for a fast flying unit. really not easy.

but someone should try it out. i think it is definitely worth a try.

//
    That's what I meant, but a bit more concisely...

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    About the rebels...
    Have you thought about making two factions: "The Benign Creatures of Middle Earth", and the "Malevolent Creatures of Middle Earth" so that they act independently from other factions, but are a force of their own, with the Benign Creatures consisting of your Eagles, Ents and Bears, and all the others malevolent? It would mean that you could stop eagles, ents and bears attacking good factions. (i think the nasty creatures should attack the evil factions as well, though).
    I plan on making multiple rebel factions but I am not making any "good" units. I may make an eagle model but I seriously doubt it because it doesn't fit with the game I am envisioning.

All units will either be nuetral or enemy depending on which faction you choose. All factions will have creature rebels to deal with except maybe Gondor (might use pirates for rebels). The beginning of the game will consist of making your own lands safe and then capturing new rebel lands. So no rebel settlement rush. Some units will also be AoR mercenaries for certain evil factions but their morale will be diminished and I may even make them able to run amok. Hopefully this will make them useful only when properly supported, and a liability when they are not. Which will help balance the game and is realistic IMO seeing as they are bribed creatures, not loyal and disciplined soldiers of the Dark Lord.
    Last edited by alreadyded; May 12, 2010 at 05:00 PM.

Are you gonna make two-legged werewolves? I would think two-legged is easier because you would'nt need to make new animations.
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...1-25-31-21.png something like this or http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs46/f/20...rio_Anubis.jpg this.
    Last edited by GabberJoop; May 12, 2010 at 06:39 PM.

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

The werewolves of Middle-earth were actually evil spirits inside great monstrous wolves (which means they were probably on four legs). But this is how I would personally imagine them to be, for the War of the Silmarils mod - semi-on four, semi-standing:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I mean, that wolfhead is badass.

Yeah, I realise that but two-legged is just sort of how i see werewolves.(and I think those spirits would intelligent enough to walk on their hind legs)

BTW That picture does look badass

It is a balance issue not an intelligence issue. For something that big to walk on two legs and lurch forward it would need a very large and long tail i.e. T-Rex. Wolves don't have long and large tails, that is why they have to walk on four legs. Anything otherwise is a little too fantasy for me.
    Last edited by alreadyded; May 12, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Well, four-legged is good enough four me but are planning on making them?(or at least something wolf like)

Read the first post.

Ah, is see.
    I kinda scimt through that.
    Edit. Holy crap I just saw those spiders and they are sweet a hell.
    Last edited by GabberJoop; May 12, 2010 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Read the first post.

So you don't plan to make werewolves? Or are they counted with the wolves? (werewolves should be at least larger and more terrifying than wolves)

The wargs look like werewolves, they are bear-like wolves, but they will be on four legs. You can always just use that model and merge it with the balrog or something. It would look just as good standing up on two legs like a bear.
    Last edited by alreadyded; May 12, 2010 at 07:33 PM.

Well, they look more like bear/hyena hybrids than real wolves.

I am talking about the ones I made, not the ones already in game. Haven't you read the first post yet?

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    The wargs look like werewolves, they are bear-like wolves, but they will be on four legs. You can always just use that model and merge it with the balrog or something. It would look just as good standing up on two legs like a bear.
    No worries, I don't want werewolves to be standing on two legs.
    I want them to be great wolves, on four, but larger and more monstrous. Maybe you could modify your warg model to do that?

Now that I think about it, the Wargs of the Third Age were probably descended from the werewolves, since they were both intelligent.

Srry, I read the first post but I thought that with bear-like-wolves you meant the ones in game, but it is good to know you'l be making new ones.
    Last edited by GabberJoop; May 12, 2010 at 07:53 PM.

I just want to say Good luck with this alreadyded, I considered doing a spider animation for TATW myself at some stage but other modding commitments are taking up all my time at the moment. But I would really like to see this mod completed .
    Best of Luck Mate
    Goth

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Hey, I just thought of this. You should ask FabiusBile if you can use his Dragon Model

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

That would be a nice variation, but he didn't model it all himself, but ripped it from Warhammer online, whereas alredyded is making them from scratch.