Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [HISTORICAL ISSUE] - Historical films from balkan states

Bagatyr's Avatar Campidoctor

Icon5 [HISTORICAL ISSUE] - Historical films from balkan states

Here i sugest we shoud post about balkan historical films from bulgaria,serbia,croatia,greece,romania,bosna,hungary wile we wait the mode
    Last edited by SpyrosM91; January 03, 2012 at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: Historical films from balkan states

Those historical films were made by me. I used the book of the famous Bosnian/Croatian historian Dubravko Lovrenovic. He is one of the profesors in Sarajevo. When Tzardoms is ready I will use tzardoms to convert those videos into real videos in which the bosnian banners and units will be visible. The videos were made in the yugoslavian language so sorry for that.

I . the diplomatic expansions of Bosnia during Tvrtko I:

II the expansions by war (part 2)

III the expansions by war (part 3)

So those movies are about the Bosnian-Hungarian wars. It is the most glorious period for Bosnia as a state. It is the period when Bosnia manages to conquer big parts of the Hunagrian kingdom and to become a recognised and respected state.

enjoy!
    Last edited by Bosnian_King; May 04, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
    kada se bjehmo svadili, tada nas Stjepan Rajkovic umiri i da nam nas grad Bobovac, a neda ga dati Ugrom.

"And when we were in a quarrel between each other; Stijepan Rajkovic calmed us down. And we entrusted our capital of Bobovac to him after which he defended it against the Hungarians (King Tvrtko I Kotromanic 1366.)"

Foederatus

from romania we have in this period: Stefan the Great(Vaslui 1475); Mircea the Old; Vlad Teps

Tsardoms Total War Serbian Researcher

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Peasant Rebellion of 1573

About peasant rebellion that plundered few feudal holdings and ended with thousands of peasants killed and tortured. The event pleased Commies so they made a movie as a message about feudalism and capitalism.
    A pity they used archaic Kajkavian and Slovene, never could understand the thing said in that movie.

Few clips from movie are here

A semi-documentary series about early Croatian rulers is being filmed presently.

Has signatures turned off.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

A few Romanian historical movies:

"Vlad Tepes" (Vlad the Impaler)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Mihai Viteazul" (Michael the Brave) (1970) - it's 70 years out of the Tsardoms timeframe but some great battles in it

Battle of Mirislau (allied with Szekelers against the Austrians)

Battle of Calugareni (against the Ottomans)

Battle of Selimbar (against Hungarians)

"Stefan cel Mare - Vaslui 1475" (Stefan the Great)

The battle of Vaslui against the Ottomans, kinda low quality unfortunately

Neamul Soimarestilor (1965)

The movie is based on the historical novel with the same name losely translated as "The bloodline of the Soimaru family". The movie takes place in the XVII century during the power struggle for the Moldavian throne between Stefan II Tomsa and Constantin Movila. The hero of the movie is Tudor Şoimaru, a soldier in the army of voivode Stefan Tomsa who is trying to save the princess Magda from the cossack hetman Vasca.

Battle of Cornul lui Sas 1612 between voivode Stefan Tomsa and the pretendent Elisabeta Movila

Fratii Jderi (1964)

The movie is based on the historical novel with same name translated as "The Jderi brothers". It takes place during the reign of Stefan the Great (1433 - 1504) in the context of the voivode's battles against the Tatars.

Mircea

The movie is based on the reign of the Wallachian voivode Mircea the Elder (1385 - 1418).

Full movie with English subtitles here. Pretty decent quality even in full screen mode. Need to let the whole movie load up first, otherwise it might get a bit laggy.

Pentru Patrie (For the motherland)

The movie shows the events of the 1877-1878 Russo-Turkish war known in Romania as the War of Independence.

Carol I (2009)

The movie is based on the reign of Carol I of Hohenzolern-Sigmariengen (ruled betwen 1866 and 1914), the first Romanian king and also the longest reign in the country's history).

Dacii (1966)

The movie is based on the wars between the Dacian people ruled by King Decebalus and the Roman Empire ruled by Emperor Domitian.

Battle of Tapae 87 AD

Burebista (1980)

The movie is based on the reign of Burebista was a king of the Getae and Dacians, who unified for the first time their tribes and ruled them between 82 BC and 44 BC. He led plunder and conquest raids across Central and Southeastern Europe, subjugating most of the neighbouring tribes. After his assassination in an inside plot, the empire was divided into several smaller states
    Last edited by Wallachian; May 08, 2010 at 09:12 PM.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Maximus View Post
    from romania we have in this period: Stefan the Great(Vaslui 1475); Mircea the Old; Vlad Teps
    The OP doesn't have a period restriction, so I think films like Dacii can be included as well.

As for Bulgarian movies, here are some that I know of:
    - Han Asparuh (aka "681 - Glory of the Khan" in its shortened American version) - a 1981 movie, made for the 1300 years jubilee and one of the most epic movies ever (ok, ok, after War and Peace and some other Soviet ones). A trilogy about the disintegration of the Old Great Bulgaria and the creation of the Danubian Bulgaria. A playlist with some cut-scenes from the original movie, playlist with parts of the shortened American version. Full movies, with English subtitles: 1 - Phanagoria, 2 - The migration and 3 - A land forever. English subtitles (for download) for the three movies.
    - Deniat na vladetelite (The day of the rulers) - a 1985 movie about Khan Krum's reign and his fights with the Byzantines. Parts 1 and 2.
    - Konstantin Philosoph - a 1983 movie about the life of St. Constantine/Cyril, the creator of the Glagolithic alphabet, after whom our current Cyrillic alphabet is named
    - Boris I. Posledniat ezichnik (Boris I. The last heathen) - a 1984 movie about the reign of Kanas Boris I and his conversion to Christianity. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
    - Zlatniat Vek (The Golden Age) - a 1984 serial movie about the first Golden Age of Bulgaria under Tsar Simeon I. Episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
    - Kaloyan - a 1962 movie about the reign of Tsar Kaloyan and his fights with the knights of the 4th Crusade. YouTube with English subtitles.
    - Svatbite na Ioan Asen (The weddings of Ioan Asen) - a 1975 (somewhat artistic) movie about the reign of Tsar Ioan Asen II, famous, among other things, with the many weddings he organized and used in his diplomacy. The main actor who played the tsar, Apostol Karamitev, died during the making of the movie, so in some scenes he's replaced by the actor who plays his brother.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
    - Boyanskiat maistor (The master-painter of Boyana) - a 1980 movie about the master-painter at the re-construction of the Boyana church, famous with its proto-renaissance style. Parts 1 and 2.
    - Ivailo - a 1963 movie about the peasant tsar Ivailo and his fights with Mongols, Romans and Bulgarian royalists. Parts 1 and 2.
    - Knyazat (The knyaz) - a 1970 movie about Tsar Teodor Svetoslav. Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
    - Vreme na nasilie (Time of violence) - a 1987 movie, based on the great book of Anton Donchev "Vreme Razdelno" (Time of partition), about the forceful Islamization of the Rhodopes region in the 17th century. Torrent with English subtitles edited by me. Online streaming on BG: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Online streaming (YouTube) with English subtitles.
    - Koziat rog (The goat horn) - a 1972 (parts 1 and 2) movie and a 1994 remake (parts 1 and 2) about a 17th century shepherd, whose wife is raped and killed by the Turks, so he flees with his little daughter to the mountains and raises her as a man to avenge their oppressors (at least until she falls in love in another shepherd).
    - Zapiski po bulgarskite vustania (Notes on the Bulgarian uprisings) - a 1976 serial movie about the Bulgarian uprisings against the Ottomans, based on the historical memoirs of the revolutionary Zahari Stoyanov. Playlist with 44 videos.
    - Ikonostasat (The iconostasis) - a 1968 movie, based on the book of Dimitar Talev "Zhelezniat svetilnik" (The iron lamp), about Macedonia in the beginning of the liberation movement (AFAIK, the movie's centred around a specific part of the book, concerning the iconostasis-maker). Parts 1 and 2.
    - Pod igoto (Under the yoke) - a 1953 movie, based on the classical novel of Ivan Vazov, about the struggles of the Bulgarian people under the Ottoman rule and the consequent April Uprising in 1876. Link. There's also a 1990 serial movie about it as well - episode 1, episode 2, episode 3, episode 4, episode 5, episode 6, episode 7, episode 8, episode 9.
    - Geroite na Shipka (The heroes of Shipka) - a 1954 Soviet-Bulgarian production about the Russian-Turkish Liberation War from 1877-1878. Parts 1 and 2.
    - Kapitan Petko Voivoda (Captain Petko Voivoda) - a 1981 serial movie about the Bulgarian revolutionary Petko Voivoda (12 episodes in numerous parts)
    - Mera spored mera (Measure for measure) - a 1981 movie about the struggles of the Macedonian Bulgarians left under Turkish oppression and the consequent Ilinden-Preobrazhenie Uprising in 1903. Playlist with 29 parts.
    - Tsar i general (Tsar and general) - a 1965 movie about the turbulent times during World War II. Parts 1 and 2.
    - Zarevo nad Drava (Dawn over the Drava) - a 1974 movie about the Bulgarian participation on the Hungarian front against the Germans in WWII and more specifically the Drava epopee. Episode 1, parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,, episode 2, parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
    - Trimata ot zapasa (The three in reserve) - a 1971 war-comedy about the Bulgarian participation on the Hungarian front in WWII and specifically about three unfit-for-war reservists sent to the front lines. Parts 1, 2, 3, 4.

Loosely historical:
    - Dyavolskoto orazhie (The Devil's weapon) - a 1982 semi-historical movie about a young Bulgarian noble sent to investigate the new gunpowder weapons used by the Savoyans in the late 14th century. Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
    - Hitar Petar (Clever Peter) - a 1960 movie based on the humorous tales about the clever folk hero. 1, 2, 3, 4

NOTE: All movies are on Bulgarian only. The only Bulgarian movies in the internet with foreign subs/dubs, as far as I know, are Vreme Razdelno (torrent link above), the shortened "681 - Glory of the khan" (with bad English dubs and in-built BG subs) and "Gentleman for a day". Edit: And a few others, see post 199.

Have fun watching!
    Or, in general, you can check this guy's collections ("Балканско кино" means "Balkan movies", "БГ филми" means "Bulgarian movies") for some other ones.

And, please, people, don't embed videos - it creates a horrible lag on some older computers and nets. In the last two hours I've had at least a couple of micro-crashes, 3 browser crashes and a full system reboot, while browsing this page.

P.S. If we're talking also about non-feature films, here are some short CGI animations from the Operatsia Slava show: Asparukh, Tervel, Krum (from 08:15 till the end, and till 00:20 here), Simeon (from 01:25 till 03:35), Kaloyan (from 02:40 till 05:20), Ioan Asen II (from 09:10 till the end, and till 01:35 here).
    Last edited by NikeBG; May 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    And, please, people, don't embed videos - it creates a horrible lag on some older computers and nets. In the last two hours I've had at least a couple of micro-crashes, 3 browser crashes and a full system reboot, while browsing this page.
    Yeah you're right mate it can get really bad if internet is slow. I've edited my post and put spoilers around the vidoes, that should get rid of some of your lag. I've also updated my post with a few more historical movies.
    Last edited by Wallachian; May 08, 2010 at 04:36 AM.

please don't argueing here the topic is about films if you wont to argue about a history made a new topic.

ive edited my post nd got rid of the off topic bit
    Last edited by Wallachian; May 08, 2010 at 09:10 PM.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by Bagatyr View Post
    please don't argueing here the topic is about films if you wont to argue about a history made a new topic.
    Oh, come on, history arguing can be fun when it's done between civilized people. And now I'm curious what's the edited out part...

And, Wallachian, thanks for the spoilers! And some of those movies look quite interesting.

You've pretty much exhausted all my resources, Wallachian

PS: NikeBG, don't I know you from somewhere...?

slavic_crusader's Avatar Biarchus

probably youtube
    Слава Слога и вјеру у Бога!!!
    Slava Sloga i Vjeru u Boga

Supporter of Eastern Europe Total War!

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by Rize View Post
    PS: NikeBG, don't I know you from somewhere...?
    Taleworlds.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

yup, his active Moun&Blade fellow
    working in Europa 1200 mod right?
    played the mod, real big map, but Hungary aint done very historicly, nor other factions when it comes to that

I would take that to the PM's hrobatos, I wish I had a historical film to put us back on-topic, but I don't

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

nah, thats just my thinking, nothing else
    M&B has its limitations

why someone not post serbian films i know onli the battle of kosovo

Nike, there was no argument or anything i was just asking a Bulgarian's oppinion about the Asen family and about the founding of the Second Bulgarian Empire, how in Romanian we call it Vlacho-Bulgarian empire, how some Romanian historians believe that the Asen's were vlachs etc. I thought about it after i watched the clips from the movie Kaloyan. Definetly a civil conversation but rather offtopic. Might just start a new topic or write in a thread about Bulgaria.

Yeah there were a few really cool movies made back in the day. I guess one of the good things left by the commies. Of course many are overly nationalistic and rather biased but still very entertaining. And usually the costumes and weapons are pretty accurate because they used museum replicas and had historical advisers.

For anyone interested this site actually has over 200 Romanian movies, including all the historical ones:

Some have English subtitles but unfortunately most don't.

gogo t's Avatar BULGARIAN

Ouuuu cant you all \not all members, I mean all pseudo-historyans\ put your hand down of our history ?
    Assens were mixobarbarians... They had bulgarian self-awareness thats for sure... In medieval times I think that the self-awareness was most important. In period when Cumans, Ptezenegs and Hungarians were invading ERE \bg was part of it\ and a lot of them settled in north Bulgaria \Paristrion\ a mixing of Bulgarians, Vlachs, Petzenegs, Cumans, Magyars.... Who can tell if their father was Bulgarian or Chinese and was their mother vlach, cuman, bulgarian... USA
    I'll give you just one example.
    They liberate all of the former BG lands, Kaloian's seal says "Kaloian tzar of Bulgaria", they've spoken bulgarian and in the "mail" with the pope kaloian said that his ancestors are tzar Petar I and Tzar Samuil... The pope told the Hungarian king to stop the war agains Kaloian because Kaloian "wanted to liberate his ancestors lands, not to occupy another one's lands"

Ok Romanians say that Assens are vlahs ok... watch this

Now tzar Boril is from Assen's dinasty... he was calling himselfe Boril Assen... now
    reigned as emperor (tsar) of Bulgaria from 1207 to 1218. He was the son of an unnamed sister of his predecessor Kaloyan.

Boril had a brother Strez \he wanted to be Bulgarian tzar but Boril won and Strez become independent ruller \
    (His brother Strez assisted by the Serbian Grand zhupan Stefan Nemanjić seized the stronghold of Proseh from which he launched campaigns in Macedonia. )

Here is what FYROM wiki says about Strez
    Севастократор Стрез македонски владетел- Sevastocrator Strez- Macedonian ruller
    Потоа ги освоил и околните македонски територии - He managed to liberate all of Macedonian lands

Ok now Assens were Vlach or Macedonians ?

They were Bulgarians face it... I'm like 2/4 "macedonian" and like 1/4 greek and 1/4 bulgarian \I mean bulgarian from Thrace\. If I become f.e. ruller of the world... after 1000 years some of the nationalistic greeks will say- ouuuuu his grand-grand mother was greek so he is too; some of the FYROM guys will say- his mother's family mooved in Bg from Macedonia ~1860 so by 2010 they still had Macedonian blood...; Yep... But guess what I'm Bulgarian and I'm nationalist... so I don't care eaven if my father was from Nigeria I was still going to feel like bulgarian, because I was born here, I speak bulgarian, my future is here and my language is bulgarian, my culture is bulgarian.. so the genes, long live the mind

I'm pretty sure that Romanians and FYROMs have a lot more important problems to solve, than (re)writing history.

now we live in globalised world \like it or not\ in EU... we are all humans first of all. The time of the nation-states is over \for good or bad\ so the way I see it Assens are part of the European hisotry, they were europeans, we are europeans what's the problem... There is no need to steal something that is free to use
    Last edited by gogo t; May 11, 2010 at 04:05 AM.
    MORAL

Alright.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast