Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tips and Advice

Default Re: Tips and Advice

Quote Originally Posted by king-nord View Post
    lol that not possible you can see any hidden units on a battlefield though with insert
    yep. Lovely way To deal with noobs that buy twenty arcani...

Delta21's Avatar Semisalis

Arcani are still pretty tough...but I do enjoy how newbs think something like this:
    "Oh....I am so exciiiited! He will fall in my flawlessly arranged ambush and I will smite him with my mighty arcani! w00t w00t *orgasm**explodes when arcani rout*.
    Last edited by Delta21; May 30, 2010 at 02:59 AM.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Considering they cost 900 pesetas they give a really weak bang for the buck
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    Considering they cost 900 pesetas they give a really weak bang for the buck
    But... but... but... they're ninjas!!!!!!

Meh in my entire career i've only ambushed once, and that was because half my army and my ally were KIA. I wasn't feeling like losing to a Greek guy and his clannie so i lured all their Macedonian and Seleucid troops into the hiding spots and routed all their remaining forces with a few worn out cata and some fire arrows...

Now if anyone can do that better with Arcani then lets hear it.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Arcani hide anywhere ability isn't very useful, one hardly needs and ambush to flank the enemy, it's easier to just order a unit to run around their flanks.

I did use Arcania with success once upon the time when RTW was new. In a 2v2 I lured my enemy that I only had a few units of cavalry so he decided to ignore me and send all to double my ally. After he had passed my Arcani I started running after his army and it took a couple of minutes to catch up with it, but the enemy can't have looked backed at all becuase when I caught up with him none of his units turned around to face me and half his army was backstabbed to death before he noticed what was going on.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Quote Originally Posted by Delta21 View Post
    Arcani are still pretty tough...but I do enjoy how newbs think something like this:
    "Oh....I am so exciiiited! He will fall in my flawlessly arranged ambush and I will smite him with my mighty arcani! w00t w00t *orgasm**explodes when arcani rout*.
    It sounds like you are speaking from personal experience. Or you got a disturbing imagination.
    Smilies...the resort of those with a vacuous argument

Quote Originally Posted by Plant View Post
    It sounds like you are speaking from personal experience. Or you got a disturbing imagination.
    That's the whole point of imagination: It can create any sense of reality.

do we really have to know...

)

Quote Originally Posted by Delta21 View Post
    That's the whole point of imagination: It can create any sense of reality.
    In which case, you have a disturbing sense of reality.

Somebody said this in another thread;

"Have your archers set in loose formation and have them all target one archer unit it's destroyed while you concentrate the majority of your phalanx units on one unit of the enemy..."

In archer vs archer combat or archer war, the point is to kill as many, or to reduce both their archer ammo and archer numbers for the upcoming combat. Archers should always try to spread their ranged attack evenly amongst the opposing archers.

The reason for doing so is because units with smaller numbers tend to lose less numbers than those with larger numbers. This mean that you are killing slower, and the opponent will kill your archers relatively quicker.

Secondly, archer combat usually occurs at the edge of the archer range. If the archer war is not occuring at the range edge, then usually somebody already has taken a few "free" shots and has already won. Aiming at one archer will mean that your archers units line formation will curve towards that single archer unit to which is being aimed at. Archer units die quicker if they are in a thin formation facing whatever is shooting at them. All this applies if there are no overwhelming archer advantage.

The only time you should ever aim for one archer unit until it is destroyed is when you know that all of your own archers are going to be destroyed soon and you want to make sure that the opponent will have as few ammo as possible by destroying those archer units.

Concentrating all phalanx units onto one unit of the enemy ie I can't be bothered to click more than once, is always a bad idea. It means that your phalanx units will be concentrated onto one spot and hence easy to be flanked or surrounded. If for whatever reason, your units are facing one unit, you should try to flank it anyways.

Laetus

Being an avid tennis player, I've found that some of the same principles apply in RTW. (this is coming from a 1v1 perspective as I'm terrible when working with another person tennis or otherwise)

First of all, Don't rush your opponent outright at first. Wait until you are able to make a decisive blow. This strategy both conserves energy and keeps you what I'd like to call "offensively defensive"

Second, This game (as with tennis) is about skillful positioning. Constantly keep all your units in check.

Last but certainly not least! Never let your troops just sit in an area while a battle is going on elsewhere unless they are hidden. Being lazy and sloppy can easily spell defeat for even the best player. One must learn how to turn look at an entire battle area, not just one section.

BTW I'm brand-spanking new to the boards. I hope I haven't repeated any previously stated info. I've played RTW for a long while but I just signed up to TWC today. Happy to be a member

I hate to ruin it for you so quickly but 90% of this forum is dedicated to single player or mods. I know only one moderator that actually does cool stuff for multiplayer(Hader) and the rest frankly don't care as they've never done anything for it, and i highly doubt they've ever played it. just thought you should know in advance.

Laetus

well then I figure the 10% of the forum where the multiplayer is dedicated must be chock full of good info (sarcasm). It looks like i know where i'll be spending my time mostly.... I used to play single player non-stop but i guess just like every other self realizing member, the a.i is just too easy/predictable

Zekey's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Letigre View Post
    Being an avid tennis player, I've found that some of the same principles apply in RTW. (this is coming from a 1v1 perspective as I'm terrible when working with another person tennis or otherwise)

First of all, Don't rush your opponent outright at first. Wait until you are able to make a decisive blow. This strategy both conserves energy and keeps you what I'd like to call "offensively defensive"

Second, This game (as with tennis) is about skillful positioning. Constantly keep all your units in check.

Last but certainly not least! Never let your troops just sit in an area while a battle is going on elsewhere unless they are hidden. Being lazy and sloppy can easily spell defeat for even the best player. One must learn how to turn look at an entire battle area, not just one section.

BTW I'm brand-spanking new to the boards. I hope I haven't repeated any previously stated info. I've played RTW for a long while but I just signed up to TWC today. Happy to be a member
    I enjoyed reading this post. Once I was playing table tennis and was thinking the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Letigre View Post
    well then I figure the 10% of the forum where the multiplayer is dedicated must be chock full of good info (sarcasm). It looks like i know where i'll be spending my time mostly.... I used to play single player non-stop but i guess just like every other self realizing member, the a.i is just too easy/predictable
    If only every SP guy would realize that we would have modders working on finding a way to make it stronger and people that cant mod fighting humans. It would be good for the game.

Laetus

If only every SP guy would realize that we would have modders working on finding a way to make it stronger and people that cant mod fighting humans. It would be good for the game.

i know exactly what you mean! Nothing can ever compare with fighting a real person

I enjoyed reading this post. Once I was playing table tennis and was thinking the same way.
    Thanks! Ha glad to know that i haven't been getting negative attention as a newbie to twc

we arent affiliated to TWC. Im from Sith clan and Zeke is from HoS.
    Last edited by |Sith| Max; June 09, 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Laetus

oh i see. well then how do you become affiliated with those? I'm assuming by joining the respective clans?