Thread: Earn fast chevrons

Default Earn fast chevrons

To earn faster experience/chevrons follow these steps,
    this requires PFM1.5_NTW this can be downloaded at :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=346400

We edit the unit_experience_thresholds_tables using PFM1.5_NTW that can be found at
    Data.pack>db>unit_experience_thresholds_tables>unit_experience_thresholds

1. open PFM1.5_NTW
    2. click file and go to the NTW adress, suppost to be:
    - Computer>( C: )>Program Files>Steam>SteamApps>common>Napoleon total war>data

3. open data.pack
    4. +data.pack +db
    5. scroll down until you see the first letter begin with ''U'' search for ''unit_experience_thresholds_tables''
    6. +unit_experience_thresholds_tables single click on ''unit_experience_thresholds_tables''

you will see in the first collum title: Experience Threshold
    under the title you see the required xp (land/naval)

xp1= 1 chevrons
    xp2= 2 chevrons
    ... etc

second collum title: Value
    fill in the desired value to earn the first,second,third etc chevrons

example (land) :
    xp1_land_casualties 350
    xp1_land_kills 20

when a selected unit makes 20 kills, it earns 1 chevron
    be creative on this one,
    at last you must save the data.pack
    IMPORTANT make sure you always have a copy of the original data.pack

edit:
    or make a mod of the changes,
    when CA's update Napoleon Total War you have to fill again those changes.

how do you create a mod ?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=340047
    Last edited by hardcore knight; May 02, 2010 at 11:02 AM.

Default Re: Earn fast chevrons

Thank you for this tutorial, its very useful. It was one of the first things what I learned.
    2k18
    Bigger & Badder.

Plus Rep, excellent. Thanks
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Hi all,

is there anyway to disable chevron loss? I mean, don't let the units downgrade when they are replenished. I want see my fellow comrades ranking up and becoming invincible like 3 star mammoth tanks in Red alert.
    I have just started to use PFM making some minor changes over existing mods, changing icons, images, text descriptions. Can't find where to mess up with.
    Anyone can help?

best regards

appreciate the tutorial, but when the Chevrons go up the abilities don't change as they do in all other total war games. How do we fix that?
    Last edited by ordoprinceps; March 13, 2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

ReichKebab, It doesn't matter, because the chevron changes don't change anything in Empire as they do in all other games in the TW series there is some sort of bug in the program. I wish I knew how to fix it
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

hi Princeps,
    thanks for your reply.
    Though, I was asking about NTW. And based on what I see, the stats does go up, at least in the panel.
    Please see attached screenshot. A recent gameplay of Egypt campaign. I have Darth Mod installed and the Darth Mod improvements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210315204253_1.jpg   20210315204251_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ReichsKebab View Post
    hi Princeps,
    thanks for your reply.
    Though, I was asking about NTW. And based on what I see, the stats does go up, at least in the panel.
    Please see attached screenshot. A recent gameplay of Egypt campaign. I have Darth Mod installed and the Darth Mod improvements.

ReichsKebab,
    My apologies, I see my error I was thinking of ETW where the chevron credits no longer work up or down but in Napoleon states work perfect. You even have the beautiful feature where Chevron's earned appear as they are earned on the screen and launch off into the heavens. To solve your problem let me suggest that using PFM you go to db then experience_unit_thresholds, you will see kills and casualties, by changing those numbers you can adjust the results of get chevrons quicker or losing them more slowly. Kills to earn new ones and casualties to lose what you have just adjust the numbers as you wish.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Quote Originally Posted by ordoprinceps View Post
    ReichsKebab,
    My apologies, I see my error I was thinking of ETW where the chevron credits no longer work up or down but in Napoleon states work perfect. You even have the beautiful feature where Chevron's earned appear as they are earned on the screen and launch off into the heavens. To solve your problem let me suggest that using PFM you go to db then experience_unit_thresholds, you will see kills and casualties, by changing those numbers you can adjust the results of get chevrons quicker or losing them more slowly. Kills to earn new ones and casualties to lose what you have just adjust the numbers as you wish.
    Princeps,
    thank you for your input. I will certainly try!
    When I firstly read this tutorial, I thought the causalities is another metrics to earn chevrons, which is actually logic in real life.

Reichskebab,
    The more causalities your unit takes the more chevron credit you lose, because they are replaced with new inexperienced troops just as in real life, the more kills you make the more experienced your troops are and therefore the more chevron credit you gain. That's their logic.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

yes yes,
    I understand the game logic.
    But in real life, when a military unit fought an epic battle and sustained heavy causalities, the whole unit will be given distinguished title, prioritized supply, selected recruits, etc.
    If I were to design this chevrons system, I would make the chevron loss only temporarily.
    Chevron gain would temporarily disabled due to replenishment and would return after stained for a certain period a time. Call it chevron replenishment,

Reichskebab
    Perhaps this is about semantics. The combat experience of men in a regiment is different than accolades and citations earned by the regiment over the centuries. As an example, I served in a US Marine Regiment that had many presidential unit citations, awards and many battle streamers for victories in battle. These are accolades that would make any Marine proud to serve in a regiment with such tradition, however the men who earned the battle streamers or citations from World War II as an example, would have been long gone before I joined the regiment.

When a new inexperienced man (replacing a combat casualty) the overall experience of the regiment is lowered mathematically in real life. It doesn’t matter what kind of accolades the regiment has earned historically. So, for me there is a significant distinction between experience of the unit and accolades and awards of the unit. I understand what you’re saying, and you understand that in the game as in real life more experienced lawyers tend to be more effective in combat and the reverse is also true that all the experience when inexperienced soldier is killed, that experience is gone forever although his actions may have contributed battle citation, the experience is gone. Chevron’s are in this game not about accolades, citations and battle streamers earned by men in the past over time.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Quote Originally Posted by ordoprinceps View Post
    Reichskebab
    Perhaps this is about semantics. The combat experience of men in a regiment is different than accolades and citations earned by the regiment over the centuries. As an example, I served in a US Marine Regiment that had many presidential unit citations, awards and many battle streamers for victories in battle. These are accolades that would make any Marine proud to serve in a regiment with such tradition, however the men who earned the battle streamers or citations from World War II as an example, would have been long gone before I joined the regiment.

When a new inexperienced man (replacing a combat casualty) the overall experience of the regiment is lowered mathematically in real life. It doesn’t matter what kind of accolades the regiment has earned historically. So, for me there is a significant distinction between experience of the unit and accolades and awards of the unit. I understand what you’re saying, and you understand that in the game as in real life more experienced lawyers tend to be more effective in combat and the reverse is also true that all the experience when inexperienced soldier is killed, that experience is gone forever although his actions may have contributed battle citation, the experience is gone. Chevron’s are in this game not about accolades, citations and battle streamers earned by men in the past over time.
    Princeps,

you have my most sincere respect. My grandpa served in PLA. I respect everyone who has served his country. And thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
    The majority of war gamers are keyboard warriors like me. In contrast to us, your insight is very valueable. o7

best regards

Reichskebab,
    Thank you for that, I served many decades ago but it will stay with me forever. Today history based strategy games are a way of keeping my mind active yet taking my mind away from the daily stresses of life at the same time. I am happy too communicate with you. One of the many positives of this site is communication and sharing different ideas between people with a common interest, in this case gaming.

By the way, all warriors from all countries share certain common bonds and mutual respect of warriors. Every warrior who served his country with honor shares these bonds.
    Last edited by ordoprinceps; March 18, 2021 at 09:44 AM.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox