Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application

Quote Originally Posted by AequorVirtus View Post
    I'm afraid I have a problem; the following error message pops up when I launch the application:
    Attachment 168579

If I click Quit the application closes
    If I click Continue it runs but when I add a mod in the field a similar message pops up. When I close the application and start it up again the mod I entered has vanished from the field.
    Given you're getting that message you aren't using the most recent version of the launcher as you'd get a more readable message if you were using the current version. What irishron said is accurate, the account you're trying to run the app with does not have sufficient privileges to edit the computers registry, at least where M2TW/Kingdoms is concerned.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

In attempting to use this program in order to play broken crescent I ran into an odd error involving access to the registry key, the details are as follows.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Official' is denied.
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
    at KingdomsLauncherApp.LauncherEditorForm.LauncherEditorForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    KingdomsLauncherApp
    Assembly Version: 1.2.0.18
    Win32 Version: 1.2.0.18
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Normal%20account/Downloads/Kingdoms%20Launcher%20App%20(1).exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5442 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I'm very much over my head with this, I've never attempted mods that involves registry key's, I suspect there is something wrong with my system as a whole since I've encountered similar problems downloading Microsoft office which I also own but since this specific error is unique to this mod its possible that is not the case.
    "Midway upon the journey of our life
    I found myself within a forest dark,
    For the straightforward pathway had been lost." Dante Alighieri

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Install.Net 4 if not already done so. http://www.microsoft.com/net/Download.aspx

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Taverna View Post
    In attempting to use this program in order to play broken crescent I ran into an odd error involving access to the registry key, the details are as follows.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Official' is denied.
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
    at KingdomsLauncherApp.LauncherEditorForm.LauncherEditorForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    KingdomsLauncherApp
    Assembly Version: 1.2.0.18
    Win32 Version: 1.2.0.18
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Normal%20account/Downloads/Kingdoms%20Launcher%20App%20(1).exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5442 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I'm very much over my head with this, I've never attempted mods that involves registry key's, I suspect there is something wrong with my system as a whole since I've encountered similar problems downloading Microsoft office which I also own but since this specific error is unique to this mod its possible that is not the case.
    Might be a bug as it looks like I'm not catching an exception I should be catching. That being said run the program as an administrator (right click run as admin).
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Version 1.3

Fixed
    - Not having permission to edit registry entries causing a crash

Go to the first post to get the new version.

Laetus

When I dl it and close it afterwards, I can't find it on my PC. Where does it save itself?

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Where ever you choose to save or where ever your browser saves it by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Version 1.3

Fixed
    - Not having permission to edit registry entries causing a crash

Go to the first post to get the new version.
    Thanks, it works perfectly now.
    "Midway upon the journey of our life
    I found myself within a forest dark,
    For the straightforward pathway had been lost." Dante Alighieri

Laetus

Yep but thats the problem, the launcher doesn't ask me where to save and when I close the launcher I can't find it on my PC.

Am I doing something wrong?

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purefun View Post
    Yep but thats the problem, the launcher doesn't ask me where to save and when I close the launcher I can't find it on my PC.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Are you asking where my program stores the settings you're creating or where this program itself gets saved when you download it from the link in the OP.

If the first the settings are saved in the registry. If a setting is successfully added then when you run M2TW/Kingdoms you will see the new settings in the drop down where you can choose to launch a particular campaigns. If the second then my answer to your previous post is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Taverna View Post
    Thanks, it works perfectly now.
    Great! It was an understanding error on my part, the MSDN documentation wasn't clear but a different error is generated when you can't read a registry entry, which I was handling, then if you can't edit a registry entry, which I wasn't handling. The new version handles both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    In editing my registry to insert the necessary entries I discovered that on my 64bit Windows 7 all-discs-no-steam installation the correct root key to use is:
    Code:
    HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sega\Medieval II Total War\
    This is a reparse point which means that queries to this tree are redirected to another one. Namely:
    Code:
    HKCU\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\
    To add to my previous post, the Kingdoms Launcher also sees entries which are written to the HKCU tree directly (create it if necessary). As a result, it is possible to add Kingdoms launcher entries without requiring elevated privileges (it is not needed to run as administrator).

However, the Kingdoms Launcher is unaware of this redirection, which means that if you have a launcher entry under HKLM and one under HKCU using the same key name (e.g. MyMod0000) only one of those will appear in the Launcher menu. A way to mitigate this issue is to write keys to HKCU with one prefix and write keys to HKLM with a different one -- this way HKLM entries will never conflict with a HKCU.

EDIT: Note the WoW6432Node\ bit is of course specific to 64bit Windows.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention that it is possible to use 8.3 pathname convention to get around the limitations on the Path value. Thus, you can create Launcher menu entries for arbitrary directories (i.e. with spaces in their name) without requiring a custom executable to patch up the command line, provided that you supply the 8.3 pathname in the Path field.

This is not a 100% reliable silver bullet type of solution because it is possible for system administrators to disable support for 8.3 pathnames in the OS. However, this can be detected in the Registry: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210638 The key to look for is:
    Code:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; July 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
    -Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

I'm not too worried since I have a new version, unreleased, which I detect if elevated privileges are required (Vista/Win7 only) and prompt for elevated privileges. Trying to get it to work with entries in both HKCU and HKLM would be a pain to try and work with now. Had I known about that before I could have worked around it.

So, your tool still requires administrative privileges to run but it is now smart enough to let the user fix this on the fly through the UAC prompt? That's pretty neat. The 8.3 pathname stuff might still be useful, though.

Anyway that means the information is mostly useful for people who write installers (it is also the result of trying to get an installer to do Kingdoms launcher entries without requiring administrator privileges).
    -Tellos Athenaios

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Thanks for your mod! It has helped making mods work for Steam, but there's a minor issue. I can't seem to get it to delete mod names. Whenever I change the name of a mod or delete the name, it just keeps the name there. And now I have a huge list of mod names that I can't get rid of.

Seems like a bug. In the meantime you can use the Registry editor (regedit.exe) to remove those keys manually.

The keys are located at HKLM\Software\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Unofficial\ or if you use a 64bit version they are located at: HKLM\Software\WoW6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Unofficial\.
    -Tellos Athenaios

Seems like a bug. In the meantime you can use the Registry editor (regedit.exe) to remove those keys manually.

The keys are located at HKLM\Software\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Unofficial\ or if you use a 64bit version they are located at: HKLM\Software\WoW6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Unofficial\.
    wow, this is beyond my limited computer expertise, since I've never used registry editor before.

I tried to find the HKLM prefix but was unable. I saw entries such as: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT; HKEY_CURRENTUSER; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE; HKEY_USERS; HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG; and searched in each, but was unable to locate a HKLM prefix.

I'm sure this is something simple, but its beyond me.

You are right: HKLM is a shorthand for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    -Tellos Athenaios

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorixx View Post
    Thanks for your mod! It has helped making mods work for Steam, but there's a minor issue. I can't seem to get it to delete mod names. Whenever I change the name of a mod or delete the name, it just keeps the name there. And now I have a huge list of mod names that I can't get rid of.
    What version of the program are you using (check Help -> About) since I can't reproduce the error. If it isn't 1.3 re-download and try again. If you have the 1.3 version I need a bunch of details to try and find the bug, if you could supply the following it would be greatly appreciated:

Operating System (XP/Vista/Win7/etc)
    Platform (32-bit/64-bit)

Just a note Vercingetorixx:
    You are right: HKLM is a shorthand for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    The shorthand is determined by the letters I highlighted.

Gigantus has forwarded me here for further assitance, for troubles I am having running B.C. 2.3 on Medieval II: Kingdoms:

Spoiler for Technical Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mongke Khan View Post
    Where there is progress, epic failure soon follows!

I have utterly cleaned out this PC using Advanced System Care 4, Symentec Anti-Virus, and Smart Defrag 2 - Along with a buttload of registry-fixes and some driver updates that have been recently aquired (including a sound driver... again?)

I am going to give this one last shot, after that... I'll conceed and blame this computer for being mysterious. I'm getting MY OWN computer in a few months, needless to say I will return to play my favorite game B.C. eventually.

+I have reinstalled Med II, Med II Kingdoms, and BC 2.3 (again...)

+After running the latest Kingdoms Launcher App, I am able to successfully add BC 2.3 to the list.

+I then click on the BC SHORTCUT on my desktop and it brings up the Med II menu. However, the menu does not load like it used to (maybe because Med II is now old?) I dont know if this is normal nowadays, but when Med II was new, the launcher had no connection issues with the master server. Here is the error I STILL get (I dont know if it's relevant to BC 2.3 not running properly, and my internet connection is perfectly fine)

+I click OK, then click PLAY on the bottom right of the menu. What pops up is different from what I originally had; it actually shows Broken Crescent (which is what I typed in the Kingdoms Launcher App). So, I click it.

+And my results are final. No matter what I do. This is my demon error that will not go away.

I have also attached some files from inside my mods directory; maybe there's something there that shouldnt be, or something that should be there that is not.

It may or may not be your program that is preventing me from playing, I am unsure. Please help if you can

You will get this error if your Path ends with either backslash or slash. The reason is that the kingdoms.exe assumes that the trailing slash will not be there so when it looks for files it does the following:

- Take the path
    - Append /<relative_path>

So with the trailing slash it will end up looking for files such as: C:/path_to_BC//data/export_descr_unit.txt, instead of C:/path_to_BC/data/export_descr_unit.txt
    -Tellos Athenaios