Thread: Ongoing AAR for Baseline KGCM

Default Ongoing AAR for Baseline KGCM

Just wanted to post some observations that I have noticed. XAi 4.0 combined with KGCM has definitely made some huge, noticeable improvements

1) Mongol playbalancing seems to be at the sweet spot. Not too overpowering but not just lingering around either

2) Egypt was finally able to take Jerusalem in a Jihad. I have never seen that before in a mod. Several turns later they declared a jihad on Constantinople! That's never happened either. I ended up losing and just reloading an old save but it was still one of the most fun experiences I had

3) At times AI almost seems human in a Machiavellian way. Venice and Hungary were both at war against Sicily. Venice only had two settlements left but they were very rich. Hungary had a lot of settlements but was bankrupt. I barely noticed it but acouple of turns later, Hungary gave some settlements to Venice, got some money in return and the two became allies. Very cool

Default Re: Ongoing AAR for Baseline KGCM

First off I just want to say that this mod has made a huge leap over vanilla and so far I've been having my most enjoyable experiences with this AI

I was wondering is there a way to mod XCAI so that an AI faction can only declare war on a faction it shares borders with?

I realize this might be an issue for crusades/jihads but something strange happened in my campaign as the Byzantines.

I got to point where Poland and Castile(Spain) keep declaring war on me. My reputation is trustworthy, my relations with Poland are outstanding, and their rep is mixed.

They are currently being sieged by both the Mongols and Hungary yet for some reason they declare war on me every single turn. I can easily negotiate a ceasefire but they'll simply declare war on me again.

I'm not at war with any of their allies but I am allied to the Mongols.

At the same time, the same thing happens with Kingdom of Castile. They are so far away, I'm not at war with any of their allies, I've had almost no interaction with them and yet strangely they keep declaring war on me. Again, I can easily get a ceasefire but they just declare war on me the next turn.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

This is a double post and you are not supposed to do that. So now I need to go cut my reply from the other post and put it here, and delete your other post.

Thanks you for that information, I will look for any conditions. There are so many conditions, when you get a complex system of commands as XAI has. You really need to understand what the logs are doing. If I may make a suggestion, start studying them. There can also be a trigger that is causing it.

I will however look for this behavior. It will probably be some tweaking required as I have found a few things myself. Keep up the detailed reporting, the more information you provide the better, screen shots. Even an edited text file of the log of just the factions in question, i can look at. It takes time to see what is going on though. Also, sometimes things can teter on the edge of one event or another.

To answer your question, there is no easy way to mod the AI to attack only neighbors, or you would lose naval invasions.

Most enjoyable! that is great! How does it compare to other Ai's you have played?

Also if you want this to be a true AAR thread, you should use much more vivid detail.
    Last edited by xeryx; April 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    Most enjoyable! that is great! How does it compare to other Ai's you have played?

Also if you want this to be a true AAR thread, you should use much more vivid detail.
    My bad. I was sleep deprived when I made the post. See what XAI has done to me In all sincerity, this is probably the most rational and dare I say at times most human like of the AI mods I have played.

It's the first mod where I have seen Egypt take Jerusalem then have a crusading army come all the way from Spain and succeed in retaking Jerusalem! That is brilliant

I think I may have already asked this but do any of the files like descr_campaign_ai_db.xml allow you to impose limits on the # of factions an AI faction can be at war with?

One other thing, I never did download and install the 1.5 patch

http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=do...loaditemid=215

Perhaps that is affecting the mod?

I think I will have to put an end to this thread. I will still take notes/pics of my campaign but I need to study for finals!
    Last edited by dknight237; April 25, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

As for the multiple wars, AI doesn't count wars it didn't fight for a long time actively (but is still officially at war) as the real conflicts, and usually it never fights more than 2-3 real fights at once. The issue on the diplomacy screen however is the manner of diplomats. If diplomacy was handled through embassy like in ETW, I'm more than sure that the AI would sue for peace. However, with diplomats things are tricky. They take time to travel from place to place and are often distracted by multiple diplomacy tasks the AI wants them to perform. This, unfortunately, how many diplomats it makes and how does it use them exactly is beyond our control. Lack of trade rights due to numerous wars certainly creates some unnecessary pressure.

As for the 1.5 patch, it is highly recommended for compatibility's sake, however for most of the time there aren't drastic differences. This however, helps us immensely in case you report bugs or glitches, when we know you have the kingdoms 1.5 patch installed.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

It is all good, take your time and study. We aren't going anywhere. Also yes update to 1.5 if you can.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Achilla: Thanks, your explanation makes a lot of sense and probably explains why they changed that for ETW. I'll have to buy that after I'm done with XAI 4.0

could i update to 1.5 right now and still keep my save games or would it be better to do a complete uninstall/reinstall and reintegration of XAI 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by dknight237 View Post
    Achilla: Thanks, your explanation makes a lot of sense and probably explains why they changed that for ETW. I'll have to buy that after I'm done with XAI 4.0

could i update to 1.5 right now and still keep my save games or would it be better to do a complete uninstall/reinstall and reintegration of XAI 4.0
    No need to reinstall.

As for ETW/NTW, not that I'm in my ranting mood or something, but I wouldn't recommend these games even to my worst enemy, for the sake of CA's lies, empty promises, poor post-release handling and very hostile attitude towards modding in general. If they aren't interested in modders polishing their games and creating extra sales, then for God's sake there isn't a single reason why a modder should care for them either.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.

Would it be possible to mod an ETW type diplomacy system for MTW 2 or is that hard-coded beyond any possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    No need to reinstall.

As for ETW/NTW, not that I'm in my ranting mood or something, but I wouldn't recommend these games even to my worst enemy, for the sake of CA's lies, empty promises, poor post-release handling and very hostile attitude towards modding in general. If they aren't interested in modders polishing their games and creating extra sales, then for God's sake there isn't a single reason why a modder should care for them either.
    Yeah, I've started to notice that myself and am rather puzzled by that. Valve has been very open and supportive of the mod community and look at what it's done for the commercial and critical success of the Half-Life franchise

Companies like ID software even released the source code for their older games like Quake

It'd be nice if CA released some type of official editor or SDK for their next game.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight237 View Post
    Would it be possible to mod an ETW type diplomacy system for MTW 2 or is that hard-coded beyond any possibility?

Yeah, I've started to notice that myself and am rather puzzled by that. Valve has been very open and supportive of the mod community and look at what it's done for the commercial and critical success of the Half-Life franchise

Companies like ID software even released the source code for their older games like Quake

It'd be nice if CA released some type of official editor or SDK for their next game.
    Unfortunately, it's all hardcoded.