Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to create a new accent

Amon Amarth 930's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: How to create a new accent

So there must be an issue either with the folder structure you've created or with the coding you did (some spaces/tabs?) or with your .cfg file, which has io file first I guess?!
    Mhh, i checked the Structure again and again, all is right.
    The .cfg has of course io file first. It is a Retrofit-Based total Conversion by the way, if it is important.

I check and try again...

Third Age Member (Fellowship-Scripter)
    Under the Patronage of MasterBigAb

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth 93 View Post
    Mhh, i checked the Structure again and again, all is right.
    The .cfg has of course io file first. It is a Retrofit-Based total Conversion by the way, if it is important.
    By the structure I mean the creation of structure of your own at all, you know. I don't know whether or not that influences the whole thing. I mean, it's only the structure and shouldn't matter at all, whether you change it or not, but hm, you know, CA cowboy programming sometimes hence you never know.
    Concerning the retrofit, I don't know, should it matter? As long as you've all text files and so forth, why should it matter?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth 93 View Post
    I check and try again...
    Sorry mate, I know it's a pain in the
    All I can say is, if you done all changes right, the files should get recreated and if you used the right format the sounds must be played. But I know that one space can ruin it all. I had to search and find a single space which undid all changes of a week of work That's why I suggest: never change the structure and be very careful with the coding.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Concerning the retrofit, I don't know, should it matter? As long as you've all text files and so forth, why should it matter?!
    I´m not an expert with the Soundfiles,... so maybe it could be matter? I don´t know. I only want to say it, because maybe its important.

But I know that one space can ruin it all. I had to search and find a single space which undid all changes of a week of work That's why I suggest: never change the structure and be very careful with the coding.
    Oh, i know such Problems. Usual i Scripting and such Stuff... there is a space not sooo bad, but a single failure and you can search for the next hours

But.. i don´t know why, but it works now!!!
    I have no idea what is different but... the new sounds are awesome

Thanks Dude, +Rep of Course (For your Tut at the First Post, must wait to give you again Rep for the Help)
    Last edited by Amon Amarth 930; May 14, 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Blog Entries

So it's working now with your own added folder structure?
    That's nice!
    Keep it up mate!

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

So it's working now with your own added folder structure?
    Unfortunately not, but that's not too bad.

The Important is, that it works now

Thanks Dude

Hey Aikanár, you seem pretty experienced with this; do you know if it's possible to add voice types other than general, heavy or light?

'Cause I'm planning to make a few unit-specific voices, and want to know if there's an easier way than to create new accents and then having to change the EDU accents. I know how to do the rest, and I have tons of compatible sound files (from battle for middle earth )

But any help appreciated!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Naxon View Post
    Hey Aikanár, you seem pretty experienced with this; do you know if it's possible to add voice types other than general, heavy or light?
    Belated but better than never. As far as I know, it should be possible to use other voice_type like "missile" "cavalry" "spearmen" &c., at least these categories are used in the default soundfiles on different occasions. It might as well be possible to define your one categories. I never tried that, yet, but it might be possible, depends on whether the voice_types of the units are defined in the .exe or not.

Hi!
    Very useful tutorial, Aikanár. I've just added a new accent for italian factions of Stainless Steel and it works like a charm, except for the italian diplomacy texts.
    Here's a screenshot:

So I edited the files diplomacy.txt and diplomacy_speech.txt to add a section for my new accent.
    And this is the result:

Blog Entries

Hi adivadi and welcome to TWC! (edit: just visited your profile, actually you should welcome me to TWC hihi)
    Thank you and I'm glad it worked out for you
    Concerning the diplomacy, you're absolutely right, I forgot to mention that hehe.
    Thanks for the reminder, will update the OP concerning the diplomacy files.
    Enjoy the fora and enjoy modding
    Last edited by Aikanár; November 24, 2010 at 02:38 AM.

Hahaha. You're right, three years around here and that was my first post.
    So thanks for the welcome and thank you indeed for the tutorial, cos it works and it was easy to take.

Hello Aikanár,

it seems like you are the person to help me here, as I am damn really confused. I am playing Stainless Steel 6.3 as Norway and was really disgusted by their basic EE accent, so I took some swedish sound files from ETW and renamed them so they can be applied to the EE accent. It worked and my Norwegian troops speak that nice fluent scandinavian language, but! now all of the eastern european countries speak Swedish! Damn! I know that I messed up and forgot that, so I immediately deleted those swedish lines and installed the vanilla EE accent. So , I tried creating a new accent just for Norway, but... I dont know how to make it work with the swedish lines! For the new "Viking" accent I copied the old EE one, but since they use the same core files, nothing changed really... If I could perhaps somehow change the directory for those swedish ones... I dont know... I am really confused. Is there a way to do that? Or what else should I do?

Actually the only solution I can think of is going through thousands of those lines and switching all those "East_European_General_Group_Disbanded_1.wav" to the swedish lines.... and man, that would take YEARS!

please, please, can you help me?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    Hello Aikanár,

it seems like you are the person to help me here, as I am damn really confused. I am playing Stainless Steel 6.3 as Norway and was really disgusted by their basic EE accent, so I took some swedish sound files from ETW and renamed them so they can be applied to the EE accent. It worked and my Norwegian troops speak that nice fluent scandinavian language, but! now all of the eastern european countries speak Swedish! Damn! I know that I messed up and forgot that, so I immediately deleted those swedish lines and installed the vanilla EE accent. So , I tried creating a new accent just for Norway, but... I dont know how to make it work with the swedish lines! For the new "Viking" accent I copied the old EE one, but since they use the same core files, nothing changed really... If I could perhaps somehow change the directory for those swedish ones... I dont know... I am really confused. Is there a way to do that? Or what else should I do?

Actually the only solution I can think of is going through thousands of those lines and switching all those "East_European_General_Group_Disbanded_1.wav" to the swedish lines.... and man, that would take YEARS!

please, please, can you help me?
    Have you looked at the Xenophonia mod and how he added new voices?

Yes I have, but, there are no Swedish voices and I want Norway to sound as authentic as possible. I tried looking how they did it, but I cant find any, sort of, tutorial anywhere :/... maybe I am just blind or something. Ill into it more deeply.

The best way is the way I found out but I have not added them to my mod for everyone as how big it is is to download the voice packs and his additional files, follow his directions to the letter, and watch the magic. Then compare his sound text files to vanilla's. This is the best teaching tool right now if long winded.

If it's norway then create a new accent for them and assign them the proper .wav or sound files in that category.
    After that save changes and delete the .dat and .idx files in your sounds folder and launch the game.
    All of this can be found here in the tutorial section you just need to improvise on your moves.

do i have to re-generate files to move one faction from one accent to another?
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Sĺ tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der grćd Enker og der grćd Břrn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Řrn.
    Anders Sřrensen Vedel

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    do i have to re-generate files to move one faction from one accent to another?
    Yes and remember you need all the 35 sound text files in the data folder of your mod otherwise if any file is missing those SFX will be missing in game then due to lack of info.

Matze_95's Avatar Laetus

I´ve got a question:
    I made new Battle_Map voices and in the .txt file are most two sounds for a event.
    Like:
    - ..._1.wav
    - ..._2.wav

I´ve changed them too but when I want to test them I hear always only the first one.
    Maybe it´s the problem that I forget the numbers in the end of the name or I use one sound for more then one event but I don´t have any idea what I should do now.

Matze_95

First: You could also ask in our develop-area

Test with different names; swith the positions; make sure that the second file (which you can´t hear) works -> delete (for testing) the first one.
    => That I would do now for testing to make sure, that nothing is wrong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast