Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

You need the event.dat and idx file from one of the kingdoms campaigns - the vanilla one will crash.
    No need to 'fix' the historic_event file unless you have used the Geomod tool.

artist82's Avatar Libertus

Gigantus,
    Apparently I managed to mess up my base install pretty good so I am in the process of re-installing the whole thing. I only have about 3 more days to get this all figured out. (I was driving my wife nuts!) I am away for home on work purposes so that gives 100% of my free time to the task, now that I have started messing with this stuff my ego will not let me give in until I have accomplished what I set out to do. Too bad your geomod tool which by the way along with the bin editor is awesome, did not have an add faction feature. Anyways to the point of the post, while I am waiting for all of the reloading to finish and then unpacking if you had any more pointers that were not in any of the guides?
    Thanks a bunch for the help so far, I cannot wait to be back up and running again so I can try it out.

Blog Entries

Never mod in your game's main folder - use a mod folder.
    Do things in small steps: mod small parts, test, back up - rinse and repeat

It is actually the main reason why I made the Bare Geomod installation - it's an upgrade from my old Bare Kingdoms installation that was made only for this reason (to provide a basic, working mod folder).

Gigantus
    All right, once everything finished installing and unpacking I moved just the two sound files you told me to and bare_geomod works fine in grand campaign! But when I merged my KoA data folder with bare_geomod I get a CTD before the first screen finishes loading. I set the log to trace since error only gave me your little error message and I got allot of info. Looks like it resolves many of the issues when it checks the vanilla folder for the missing files but at the end there is some missing stuff it cannot find nor can I by searching the whole folder. I will attach the error log and a more up-to-date version of my KoA data merge folders. I might just have to rebuild all my changes from the files that came with your bare_geomod to see if that helps...groan! Rep bump for helping me get geomd up, I would never of thought to add those two files from one of the kingdom mods!

Blog Entries

Looks like the error I just ran into: missing descriptions in text\export_buildings. On the other hand "#mesoamerican_temple_pagan" refers to the last building in the EDB that the game start up checks, so it could be the next step in the checking that got messed up. Can't say off hand what it could be.

What exactly have you worked on (file wise) before transferring to Geomod? Because (nearly) all the files in Geomod are vanilla files, you just simply have to replace\mod them - copying other non modded (vanilla) files is not required.

Gigantus,
    I modded everything I put in that zip file I attached the last post, all the actual files came from my vanilla unpacked files, maybe its the uncleaned descr_model_strat file I used causing some of the issues? I did very little editing to the actual EDB, mainly just added my new faction into ownership of some buildings I wanted access to. Right now I stopped messing with it, I used a go around method by turning Sicily into my new faction by all respects. (I was planning on crushing them first anyways) The only thing that does not say Kingdom of Ages in the grand campaign is the the advice speech. Doing things this way puts me in the area I want to be in with very little work. Since I am Kingdom of Ages in text only, I do not have to add my faction to every single building I want and can create some of my units easier now! Mwaaa haa haa haa! I still need to skin a few more with GrumpyOldMans mesh to ms3d converter, rep+ to the GOM! Your bin editor is making things a breeze, much more easier to work with than the txt versions of those files. So now my bare_geomod is up and running and I can get my creative on now all thanks to you! Rep++! Once I am satisfied with my current project I will try and add the normans and saxons again and check out my KoA files again. Right now I need this time to let the boo boo (ego) heal from banging my head into the wall the past four days! I know my period of strife was far shorter than many of yours from what I have read in the post. I just network computers and setup radios and other stuff I am not at liberty to mention, some of the stuff you guys have made I cannot begin to wrap my mind around. Keep up the good work all so the lil guys like me have it easy!

Blog Entries

I had a quick glimpse over those files:

• without an edited descr_banners_new file the banner textures in data\banners\textures won't show
    • simply renaming the symbol_barons_alliance.CAS file will not work as it will still look for the original TGA file. Open the cas file with notepad and you will see at the bottom which file it looks for

I will see if I can integrate it into Geomod.

Edit: strategy.SD requires an additional TGA file (stratpage_05.tga) which is not present - hence the crash.

<texture_pages count="6">
    <page file="stratpage_01.tga" width="512" height="512" force32bit="0"/>
    <page file="stratpage_02.tga" width="512" height="512" force32bit="0"/>
    <page file="stratpage_03.tga" width="243" height="250" force32bit="0"/>
    <page file="editor_strat01.tga" width="256" height="256" force32bit="0"/>
    <page file="stratpage_04.tga" width="512" height="512" force32bit="0"/>
    <page file="stratpage_05.tga" width="512" height="512" force32bit="0"/>
    </texture_pages>
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM.

Blog Entries

So far:

• renamed the texture for the faction symbol in models_strat\textures to #banner_symbol_barons_alliance
    • removed the red marked entry in strategy.sd, corrected the page count to 5 and changed the page "5" entry for the faction symbol to page "4"

That got me to the faction selection screen, on clicking Start I get this:
    12:51:10.394 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/descr_model_strat.txt, at line 1264, column 21
    Unit model type ids must be unique, non-unique entry 'macedon_admiral' found.
    It appears you didn't use the descr_model_strat file found with my tutorial

Well I guess I figured out the .cas issue without knowing it when turning sicily into KoA, I got an error message in the trace log asking for that specific baron_alliance tga and I did not know why so I just added the TGA to the texture folder and problem solved without me knowing why. Now that you told me it all makes sense. I did not know that a .cas file would have any legible words if opened in notepad, I opened a larger one once and it was all gibererish as I scrolled down a bit.
    I once had a edited descr_banners_new file for KoA, I guess I did not back it up like I thought to my merge folder, I attached the updated one for the same reason, I left out the whole banners folder! The issue with the strategy.sd.xml is not that the stratpage_5 was added with for no reason, it is simply that I accidentally named it stratpage_4. Look at the one I have in the KoA folder and then look at the vanilla one. in mine where England was KoA now is. Since KoA will be the only one reading that file I will still have the correct symbol for England which is actually on stratpage_2.
    As for the descr_model_strat I did use the vanilla one. I thought that since I added my entries into everything like Duke of Serbia instructed it would be fine. I actually mentioned that as a possible issue in my previous post. Since the only issue I need to address is the descr_model_strat and descr_banner_new file (I already renamed the stratpage and added the correct barons alliance TGA) I will get right on it and then merge it with the retrofit mod and see how it goes! I very much appreciate you looking at my files! When I am done creating all my new units and adding them in I will put a final copy in the mod downloads with major credit to you!
    Side note.. If I wanted to rename a building in the EDB is that the only file I need to edit? For example I want to rename the jousting list and tourney field to something that is more all encompassing for knights such as the tourney games in "A Knights Tale" that had more than just jousting. I was thinking calling the current jousting list tourney field and then tourney field into Tournament Stadium, square, or plaza for example. That way I would feel better about giving all the dismounted knights the "Knight" label in their attributes in the EDU. Also I think it would be a bit more accurate since jousting was not the only event in tourney games.

Blog Entries

Names and descriptions for buildings are in the text\export_buildings file. You can actually give a different name and description to one building for each culture. The perfect example for that is the 'brothel' line of buildings. If you give it a different picture as well, then in principle you have a different building altogether, all they have in common are the capabilities and requirements in the EDB.

I loaded a new bare_geomod folder and called it Kingdom of Ages (folder, bach, and .cfg files as well), it worked fine once I put the two sound files in. I adjusted the corrections you pointed out (attached) and I got it to load up to the menu. Trying to play either campaign or custom brings out a string of errors. I added some of the files that somehow could not be found from the vanilla files, and tried again. Finds those files now but gets hung up on a missing "unlocked.txt" No idea where that file is, I searched entire MTW2 folder for it. I gave up after about 2 hours of going from crash to trace log to continue converting and merging mesh files. I tell you my spelling has been off today! I mispelled sicily as sicliy in the EDU and got multiple crashs before I figured it out (there was a few other errors as well that the syntax checker for the battle_models file does not find). Thanks for the building name info, I should of thought that the export_buildings.txt.bin could do exactly what I did with my faction and sicily.

Blog Entries

After adding your files I get this one:
    [system.io] [warning] open: data/models_strat/textures/catholic_priest_kingdom_of_ages.tga is missing
    07:06:05.061 [data.invalid] [error] Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.
    You have to add that texture if you want to use it

Unlocked.txt - gets generated when you finish your first campaign.

General - 'missing' file messages can be ignored. It's the [error] ones that are the problem.

It is in there, I just looked at it, here it is if you want to give it a go on your end, might not have been in the zip. The first log in the attached zip is the error log from trying to start a campaign, the second from a custom battle. I did not see anything as obvious as many of the other errors I fixed with the trace log but I can only spot the really obvious ones.

Blog Entries

The devil is in the details:
    12:28:21.528 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models_strat/textures/mtw_catholic_bishop_kingdom_0f_ages.tga is missing
    12:28:21.537 [data.invalid] [error] Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.
    Change that entry in the descr_model_strat file to have a small 'o'

Now all you need is to sort out the UI mess, which is a result of using the interface graphics from vanilla (strat & shared) and the SD file from Kingdoms.

Attachment 204440

The same screenshot with the kingdoms graphics and the required, modified descr_standards file for the flag symbols. Now you simply have to sort out your faction symbol for the UI.

Attachment 204443
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 12, 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Okay, so I made all the pertinent changes to my KoA files then added them to a fresh load of bare_geomod ( this time I did not change out the sound folders since I read the tutorial again and it said only to do that if not using kingdoms) and a CTD for both custom and campaign. I used your copy of the strat and shared files since the vanilla unpack did not have the .xml versions to work with. I am not sure what I am doing different than you because it appears you got it running. Currently every file I modified that is in the bare_geomod files are modified from one of them. The only vanilla files I used are ones that were not in the bare_geomod. Of course all the symbols and such for KoA are from the british isles mod. Other than that I have added nothing. My kingdoms launcher has never worked but I doubt that has anything to do with it, I can get my sicily=KoA bare_geomod working just fine.
    Searching for error messages in the error log got me this one one time trying to start a custom battle:
    [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/kingdom_of_ages/data/descr_projectile.txt, at line 1606, column 1

After that both trying to run a campaign or custom battle get me what looks to be the same error log with only one error at the bottom being your custom error message. Since you said missing was not bad I did not really see anything else in the log but I only know to search for the word "error". Is there any other nasty little words I should search for also? Attached is the latest and greatest error log as well as a screen shot of the launcher that never works.

Blog Entries

Let me put you out of your misery, attached is what I have on my plate (minus the unit_model folder to reduce the size)

1. Rename your existing mod
    2. Extract the ZIP file into the mods folder
    3. Copy the unit_models folder from your old mod
    4. Correct the entry in the strategy.SD file for your faction's symbol (optional)
    5. Run the executable (make a desktop shortcut if preferred)

Let me know if you are still running into troubles

Icon10 Re: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Gigantus.
    It works! What file did you fix or add? Your efforts on my behalf were above and beyond what I expected! you sir truly are a giant among men. Now I am just curious about what I was actually doing wrong (besides typing errors because I was tired and too stubborn to leave off for the night!). The stratpage thing was not an error in my editing of the file, it was an error in me nameing the actual .tga that I edited to get the proper symbol so simply nameing the .tga correctly took care of that.
    Right now the unit creation useing my sicily=KoA version of your geomod is going well (after I stopped making earlier mentioned typos in the battle_models file). It will take a little work to re-edit the battle_models file. I have currently only added 7 units so not a big deal especially since I will not be splitting my available time on trouble-shooting my KoA mod files until I decide to give it a rest and make progress on my units. Once again thanks again for all the help, I just wish the ctrl-f "error" epiphany for the trace log had hit me sooner and I would of saved us both allot of time in finding those pesky typ0s!
    Here is my screen shot of your success!

Now the attached file

Blog Entries

It was probably a mixture of everything: never mod when you are tired, most of the time it just gets worse - one small typo can mess up your whole day.

Indefinitely Banned

hi i used Bare Geomod Medieval 1.01.ra

i just changed some loadingscreen why it dosent appear on mymod hen start the game and
    were ir cfg file for mymod file >.... ithink i need help how to work on it