Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

I just hope it will fix it for you, please give feed back on that.

Spartan777's Avatar Libertus

Ok to say I'm confused is an understatement. I've downloaded 'Bare Geomod Kingdoms 1.02' which seems to be the latest version even though some of the links point to 'GeoMod 0.6.18 EN' and when I open the program it starts the game. All be it with Geomod some heading underneath the main title.

So I tried installing 'GeoMod 0.6.18 EN' and nothing happened at all. It asks me to locate the files which aren't there after installation.

Also what do I do with Python. There's no .exe file or anything I recognise to install it. Do I put it somewhere.

Sorry I know I'm asking newbie questions but I'm new to all this.

Cheers ; )
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Blog Entries

Bare Geomod is the mod set up of the vanilla campaign (in kingdoms mode) with all the files that the tool (Geomod) needs. Before I go into lengthy details about missing files etc I would like you to read my manual for the tool.

Wow this is incredibly more complex than making a Civilisation scenario ; ).

It's mind boggling!

Okay so I've got it to work as such but I get the basic map from the vanilla game. Is is possible to import other maps? There doesn't seem to be an option for that and skimming through the manual I can't see it mentioned.

I've tried opening up other mod folder (eg Third Age) but they won't won't open after various errors.

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Here is my take on the TATW 3.1 map - otherwise you should be able to open other maps as well. Simply copy the missing files form the Geomod directory (C:\....\Medieval II Total War\tools\Geomod\M2TW_files\data) and add them to the mods directory.

You open other mods the same way as described in the 'Getting started' chapter on page 5 and illustrated on page 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by page 5
    Back to Geomod: after doing the obligatory double click\run on the Geomod desktop icon (see above) you will be greeted by a small window where you will have to choose your mod’s directory by double clicking on it
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 07, 2012 at 07:54 AM.

Ok cheers mate, that's enough to get me started.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

sorry Gigantus if I sound like a newb but what is the Ragusa bug?
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Ragusa port bug, its white pixel in map_regions,tga had to be shifted left and then the map.rwm had to be regenerated to fix it.

thanks but what is the problem with it?
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

It will cause a ctd when you try to use it as in right-click for info, landing troops on it, etc.

Blog Entries

The Ragusa bug is caused when a new map is generated from the base 'vanilla' files by simply deleting map.rwm and nothing else.
    The port is situated on a spot that is completely in water, making it an invalid placement and hence crashing the game. There are two possible reasons for the misplacement:
    1. the port's position in map_regions was altered after map.rwm was created
    2. the old map system that uses map_heights.HGT might allow this positioning

Thanks everyone.

Hi Gigantus,
    Some of my friends ask me, did you solved the sound and text problems in your vanilla mod (Bare Geomod)?

We talked about this two years ago (on Bare Kingdoms topic):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=168944&page=2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Must be from the teutonic campaign. Thanks for pointing it out.

But I am not going to modify Bare Kingdoms anymore - I will correct it in Bare Geomod.

Blog Entries

The text issue is solved in the present issue of Geomod.
    Regarding the sound: you can copy any complete data\sound folder into Bare Geomod, as long as it is from a Kingdoms campaign.
    To keep the download small I have only added the events files (from the teutonic campaign before the 1.5 patch) - it means that a number of sounds and music will not play.

artist82's Avatar Libertus

Gigantus,
    I finished creating a new faction for MTW2 (I have gold edition with kingdoms) using the GEOMOD and your tutorial as well as Duke of Serbia's. I used the error log to fix several problems but I am currently hung up on this one: 21:00:20.457 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    21:00:20.458 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    21:00:20.465 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    21:00:20.466 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    21:00:20.468 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    21:00:20.470 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    21:00:20.471 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    21:00:20.471 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    21:00:50.316 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 4512, column 87
    Unable to create the character Alexander Lionheart. (Is the gender correct?)

I have gone over this several times and I cannot find the problem. Do you have any idea what it might be?

Blog Entries

Your problem is with the character Alexander Lionheart, descr_strat line 4512
    Check if the First and Surname is entered in the correct section of it's faction in the descr_names files.
    It could also be a problem with the family tree.

Maybe upload descr_strat and descr_names together with text\names. Compress them before attaching here.

The names are fine, I adjusted the family tree and get past the cannot create character error and as soon as I click on any faction to include my new one the game CTDs with your custom error message being the only thing that shows up in the error log. I cannot even play a custom battle with any faction, same CTD error. Everything shows up correctly for custom battles and my faction icon shows up in the grand campaign no problem. If it helps I am trying to create a new faction, Kingdom of Ages using the Barons Alliance textures, flags, symbols and such with the plan of creating my own custom units which I have a handle on, just need the new faction up and running so I can begin.
    I also found out interestingly enough when I put the bare_geomod folder I was working with on my desktop and created a new bare_geomod, merged the vanilla MTW2 world folder and sound folder, and then replaced the bad historic_events bin file, that the whole mod setup still does not work with no modification to it! I get a CTD before the first screen loads through with just your custom error message in the log. Attached is all the files I modified set up so that it can just be merged with a new bare mod.

Blog Entries

when I put the bare_geomod folder I was working with on my desktop and created a new bare_geomod, merged the vanilla MTW2 world folder and sound folder, and then replaced the bad historic_events bin file, that the whole mod setup still does not work with no modification to it!
    Not exactly surprising....

Bare Geomod is a base mod folder with a few pitfalls from vanilla removed like the 'Ragusa Port Bug' and the faulty winning conditions. Copying the world folder over it puts all those errors back in. The latter one is most likely what causes your game to crash - it might include regions that no longer exist.
    Why exactly are you creating a new faction? Or are you 'cloning' an existing one? Because the Saxons and Normans are dormant and just need some minor modding to tansform into the alliance.

I tried adding normans in to work with in the main data folder, got the same cannot create character error when tried to play a campaign. Game also crashed in custom battle. I wanted to add a new faction with completely new units. I cloned all of my new factions entries and then modified the names to my new faction. I will see if I can get a bare_geomod to work with just the sound folder changed and historical event bin. Right now working on a new issue, I changed sicily to say kingdom of ages in game and it worked fine. I started to make the color, texture, banners and such changes to my base game and when I was done it crashs when trying to load the grand campaign. I think it was the strategy.sd and shared.sd xml's I used from your geomod, it was the only real change I did. I figured out I did not even need to change them, I just open the reference file with the symbol with gimp and the the barons alliance one, cut out the one I need and then copy visible, paste into option onto the main .tga and then position it over sicily's so position is the same therfore no need to edit the .sd files. I am currently moving my backup files in to see if it fixes my CTD then I will try without the new .sd files.