Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

The 'provincial' campaigns require to have the name of their folder in their descr_strat file at the top. Plus they need their own settlement_name file in the data\text folder and custom entries in campaign_descriptions. Have a look at those files to get the format of it.
    The 'description' file in the custom folder is just that - the campaign's description in the campaign selection screen.

Otherwise it's modding as usual. Beware of the win_condition file, invalid entries in there (factions, regions) is probably what tripped you up.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 19, 2019 at 09:14 PM.

Foederatus

Hello!
    I have been using these files along with the geomod tool (kingdoms version), and I've had an issue that has already happened three times:

The 'symptoms' happen upon starting a campaign, and I note that a large, random selection of rebel garrisons have been deleted, and no one is at war with them.
    The first and second times it happened after I added characters, but the third time I had only added a few new regions.
    Upon starting geomod I verify that indeed the rebel characters aren't there anymore, and the relation between every faction is at neutral and a 0 value.

What could be possibly causing this?
    Last edited by SirKeeper; January 25, 2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo

if there is an error in the descr_strat.txt file then anything below that error is not read (if you've got a campaign_script you might find that doesn't get read either) - from your current symptoms it sounds like the error is low in the file so you're losing the slave section and diplomacy - have a look at that file and the last faction's settlements, if they're turning up as rebel settlements then your error is above that point... If you have some rebel armies appearing then the error is below the last slave army that appears in game.

as to finding the error - is the log file saying anything?

Blog Entries

Agree with Makanyane - if you lift the fog of war you should also notice that a number of settlements are villages without a garrison. That is the default for missing entries, it will help if you can remember what changes you made. Else try to trace which is the last 'complete' settlement in descr_strat.
    All of which is pointless if you haven't made a back up of the descr_strat file.

Foederatus

I have deleted the mod files so I can't look at those, but I will as soon as the error happens again.
    About the log, it didn't have anything with today's date, only other errors that had happened before and led me to retry everything.

If I got it right, could it have something on my own end? Like forgetting to add or validate something? I do remember that altering a regions name leads to an error if that region is part of a factions campaign objectives, for example.

P.S. Also seems that my main problem was not properly making backups, a change of habits is in order.
    Last edited by SirKeeper; January 25, 2020 at 12:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately Geomod that does not automatically remove regions from the win conditions - you need to validate the win conditions. Bare Geomod's log is the same as the main games, it should generate a log every time you play the mod.

A problem like you describe usually happens in Bare Geomod if you change things by hand. Other mods need to be made tool compatible first, eg open and save it without editing and then attend to errors. Which is usually formatting issues in the descr_strat file resulting in an error like you describe.

And you certainly need to make backups, especially if you work with the tool. The easiest way is to make a wholesale copy of the files in the data folder, the text folder and the world folder.

Foederatus

I am taking more care to make backups and to make sure that I make no mistakes, as best as I can at least.
    After having increased the map size, I noted that, of course, the radar image won't align with the region colours, where is that image located so I can delete/change it?

Thank you for all the help!

Blog Entries

That will be in the imperial_campaign folder, two files, aptly named radar_map1 and radar_map2. Use your new map_heights file and create new radar maps from them. The important thing is the coastal outline, the rest is up to your imagination.

Here is the one for the 1648 mod that we made that way - just to give you an idea

Last edited by Gigantus; January 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM.

Foederatus

Hum, why are there 2 of them?
    I also noticed at least one mod (Thera if I remember correctly) where the radar actually moved, as the map was so large.
    That map looks great by the way! I should have a go at the mod, I really like the period.

Blog Entries

You will notice the different size of the two maps - it's to support the zoom in. If you use a size larger then the default then the map will move.

Foederatus

Ah yes that makes sense.
    One new thing I noted on my testing: a basic village (empty, 400 population and no buildings), when converted to a motte and baley will have the next tiers of castle walls available right away, i.e, you can upgrade to wooden castle, to castle, etc. without the necessary population.
    Have you ever encountered this?

Blog Entries

That's curious, have never come across that. Does the village have an entry in descr_strat? Because if it isn't entered it will be generated as a basic village with the slave faction as owner. That might cause the upgrade bug.

Could Geomod upgradet to work with more than 10 religions?

Blog Entries

There is a good possibility that it may recognize more then the default number, if it requires an upgrade to do so then I am afraid we are out of luck.

I tried it
    It doesn´t work if there are more than 10 religions

Blog Entries

More then 10 religions will require the BLT stuff, I am assuming you got it working in the game but not in the tool?

If that is the case then we are simply out of luck where the tool is concerned.

Yeah in game but not in geomode

Blog Entries

Thanks for coming back with your findings, tough luck it is.

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

I'm not sure where to ask this question, but my mod has a small graphical bug and since my mod is built upon bare geomod, I thought I'd ask it here.

Whenever I play a battle that involves reinforcements, the portraits of the generals of the reinforcing armies don't show up. It's just the background that I'm seeing.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails REINFORCEMENTS.jpg  

Blog Entries

You are also missing the 'missile' stance symbol. (battle_page_01.tga) If you have the correct TGA file in all the required culture sub directories then it will be a matter of the supporting TXT file which I am guessing you may have edited or copied from another mod.

Spoiler for TGA details

Wouldn't be me if I didn't make a tutorial for it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 01, 2020 at 07:59 PM.