Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

The required files are all there - not sure about map_features: those two lines don't look blue to me.
    The color of the water in map_regions isn't correct.

Did you have a look in the log if there are any error messages? When does the campaign crash? Did you fill in all the text files?

Thanks i fixed those issues, seems i mis-used the layers. For some reason the color keeps changing, but i think i fixed it. Still i get a crash. I'll keep retracing my steps what the issue is, but it would probably really help if i could find a log somewhere
    Also i can't find any logs in the folder it seems; the game crashes as soon as i click on Grand Campaign.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: crap i found a huge error. My main terrain maps weren't saved with 100% opacity, you can still see the words in the background of the rivers and stuff. So so silly. I'll try to rework that and let you know if that was the issue

EDIT2: redid map heights and water surface, still get a crash on the start. I probably made a million mistakes, hopefully by finding the log i will know where to start
    Last edited by Anubis88; November 13, 2017 at 05:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Working with layers can be tricky.
    The most common fatal error is in map _features (faulty river drawing, see tutorial). Replace the file with a completely black file and try again.
    If you get thrown back to the menu then the fault is in descr_strat and should have a detailed mention in the log.
    Wrong opacity will change RGB values - so check the values in descr_regions against map_regions.
    Do your regions have black pixels for the settlements? The thumbnail was too small to see.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 13, 2017 at 06:10 AM.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

1) I replaced it with a completly black file, i still have a crash when i click grand campaing.
    2) I can't find a log!
    3) I'm thinking if maybe i made a mistake when interpreting the tutorial that is made for the base kingdoms folder, while i'm using the bare geomod installation. I see that the inital bat file is named "universal start" and not executable.bat as written in the tutorial tool. So maybe i just put 2 things together that aren't supposed to work together really feel out of my depth here, hopefully i didn't screw everything up, altough it's more than probable.
    4) Is it possible that i smudged the water somewhere or something? Would that cause a crash? Or if there is 1 pixel off between the various maps?

So hopefully the log if i find it will help me out. If not i'll redo the whole process extra carefully (even though i did it already).

Again thanks for your help gig!

EDIT: could be i posted in the wrong thread, i made the map using the Basic Mapping tutorial you made, and tried to make sense of it with the updates that came consequently. Not sure why i posted in this thread, prob cause i was tired after trying to make it work hehe. Hopefully you don't mind as you are the master behind all the threads here.
    Last edited by Anubis88; November 13, 2017 at 07:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Bare Geomod is a basic modding folder and as such should be ideal for the tutorial. The tutorial itself is fairly old and if memory serves at that time there was only a 'Bare kingdoms' mod folder of mine - which was the precursor of BG.

The log for the latest Bare Geomod is actually the default log that is in the root folder of the game: system.log.txt - I changed back to it because there were numerous instances that the log would not be written every now and then.

My suggestion: open your own thread in the mapping workshop and leave a link to it here. Upload and link there your world folder plus the data\text folder and I 'll have a look what might be wrong. Please also mention if you have done all the text entries from the tutorial, eg descr_strat.

I haven't gotten to into it all quite yet, but so far the only issue I've noticed is when I launch Bare GeoMod, it doesn't launch in windowed mode. It's not incredibly annoying since the GeoMod tool seems to work so smoothly that I don't really need to continually check the full game map, but still.

Ah, crap, nevermind. I figured it out. Just needed to remove the #s from the cfg.

Blog Entries

Glad you solved it: hash signs ( # ) and semi colons ( ; ) at the start of a line\entry are used to "comment" lines\entries. Which means these lines\entries will not be processed.

Unknown faction or culture 'Aragon' detected in the EDU at line 11959!

END

Can anyone tell me what the EDU is? I am trying to add a settlement to Ireland in stainless steel 6.1 using the geomod tool and this error pops up. Previous errors referred to files that were missing in 6.1 txt files. I took some of the files from stainless steel 6.4 in order to get past this error but now this "aragon error is showing up. Once I get past this hurdle I plan on deleting the files I put in from ss6.4 to get past the temporary issue from Geomod.

Blog Entries

Export_Descr_Units - the file has an ownership reference at that line of a faction that does not exist in the descr_sm_factions file.

Ok. Thank you gigantus. I will Check the file later in the day.

Ok. So I think the problem with the file was that in the descr_sm_factions file the faction was spelled aragon, but in the EDU on the line 11959 it was spelled "Aragon". I switched it to the lower case and the problem seems to be solved. However, now when I load Geomod it gets to 96% and just crashes without a log. Can you help me with this?

Blog Entries

Yeah, the tool can be a stickler for details. 96% according to the manual is an issue with descr_terrain (low likelihood) or a formatting of the map graphics (TGA files), eg using indexed mode or having a grey scale. Simply open the TGA files in GIMP, check for image mode (image\mode) and set to RGB if it isn't so, then save. If you are more familiar with other editors and know how to check\fix it in there you are obviously welcome to use those.

So I did the terrain adjustments according to the manual and I made sure that all the images are RGB. however, the problem still persists. It still drops to 96%. I will say that it does take longer to crash then it did before so that might be some progress.

Blog Entries

Have you got any preplaced towers or forts at the bottom of the descr_strat file? If you change region borders those might end up in a different region and then the entry is invalid.

Hi,

Great mod, I use it to simply play then vanilla game and I like that it fixes a bunch of bugs such as the trade routes etc. However I have noticed that the AI seem so have problems besieging settlements. An example of this would scotland, at the start of the game they will always attack Inverness, in the vanilla game they will almost always be successful within a few turns, however in this mod they will often attempt this repeatedly and fail a good number of times.

I think that the game is using the autoresolve settings from the kingdoms campaigns which increased the difficulty of autoresolving seiges, however it appears the AI in the grand campaign hasnt been adjusted accordingly and will repeatedly send under strength armies to attack settlements.

This is a major problem for smaller factions such as Scotland as it really gimps them early on and they never expand after wasting all their resources attacking inverness. It is also a problem for anyone playing England as it removes any challenge of facing the Scots as they are very reliant on their infantry recruited at castles.

I have also noticed that experience only increases attack not defence, I believe this was a feature of the kingdoms campaigns.

Blog Entries

You are correct with your observations regarding kingdoms files, the mod does indeed use kingdoms versions wherever they have been provided. The descr_campaign_db file however is not included nor any other AI file, hence the mod will be using the 'vanilla' version.
    The experience issue is hard coded so it will be directly linked to the executable.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask... I'm playing around with Bare Geomod Kingdoms. How do I change the period default in custom battle? It's annoying that I've to click back all the time because I always forget it's set to Early period by default.

Blog Entries

You can't directly - and it's truly is annoying. Only way is to remove\disable all era lines in the export_descr_units file. Which can be done pretty fast with a search\replace action:

make a back up of the file
    open the file in notepad
    Press Ctlr+H for the find\replace function
    - in the 'find what' slot type era 1
    - in the 'replace with' slot type ; era 1
    - click 'replace all'
    - repeat the same with era 2
    save file

Now all units will be listed in the default era setting (not sure if it's 'early' or what is shown)

Thank you very much! Oh, just to confirm, the change won't mess with the gameplay in single player game, will it?