Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

The projectile issue requires retrofit's descr_projectiles and possibly some files if it uses a non vanilla model. Or replace the projectile with a vanilla one.

The mount issue requires retrofit's modeldb file and possibly mesh and textures files for the battle model(s) in question. BG doesn't need a descr_mount file - it uses\refers to the vanilla default file. You will however need it as you will otherwise get EDU errors for unknown mounts.

I replaced the descr_projectiles and that got rid of the first set of error messages and got rid of the CTD. I can launch the game now.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find retrofit's battle_models.modeldb file. It seems that some of the mentioned mount types lack some model variants. This means that there is slightly less variety in some of the horses' armor pieces.

Blog Entries

If retrofit hasn't got a modeldb file (data\unit_models directory) then it uses the 'vanilla' file. Which in turn means that the mount errors will already be present in retrofit. My guess would be that the mounts are not used in the EDU - check for that. If they are not used then you can simply remove them from descr_mounts.

It seems the mounts were indeed unused. Deleting them made no change, and it seems there were no missing model variants after all. No more error messages in the log. I hope I don't run into more issues when I play.

Thanks for making modding so accessible to beginners.

Blog Entries

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I hope that this has not been asked already (couldn't find any post relating to that topic).
    I've been asked by a modder to implement some animations in his mod. However, I can't find the descr_skeleton.txt file (which is a problem actually ). He told me that when he started to create his mod, he used Bare Geomod on Teutonic addon to be able to use Geomod to change the map. So, I'm almost sure that due to this, the mod uses the vanilla file per default. However, if I try to add my own file in the mod data folder, I get a ctd.
    Is there a way to add that descr_skeleton.txt file in the mod without getting a ctd?
    Thanks in advance
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

BG does not have any animations files other then the mandatory ones in the engine sub folder that the DAT\IDX files refer to. Which means that it uses the vanilla animation set up.

If your descr_skeleton file is modified then you will have to generate a fresh set of animations (see tutorials in the workshop), adding the unmodified descr_skeleton file has no impact for obvious reasons. Even a modified descr_skeleton (tried from 1648) will not cause a crash as the file itself is only referred to during generation of the animation IDX and DAT files.

Edit: the teutonic campaign has additional files (mangonel) in the engine sub directory - you need to copy those over (they are not in the packs) if your mod hasn't got them.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 27, 2016 at 08:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Gigantus. That means that I have to look somewhere else for the cause of that issue.

Edit: does this means that if I implement the animations folder (the one with .dat and .idx files) and add the relevant descr_skeletons.txt file, that should work?
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 27, 2016 at 10:22 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

I haven't done the animation generating in a while so I would have to look the procedure up myself (where to place what file, the CFG file entry etc) - but yes, as long as you have all the supporting files in place then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to generate your mod's own IDX and DAT files.

Blog Entries

Well, I don't have any problem with unpacking, implementing and repacking the animations. My question was more about the descr_skeletons.txt file. I mean if I implement that file accordingly with the new animations entries and put it in the mod folder, then the game should use that one instead the vanilla one.

Blog Entries

I am not aware that there are any inherent problems animation wise with the BG set up - it has been used for several mods that have custom animations. Without generating the IDX\DAT files the descr_skeleton file is pretty much a fifth wheel here as we established.

The files in the engine sub folder have been part of the BG set up since the dawn of time and I can't recall what the reason was for adding them. But then surplus files never crashed a mod so I wouldn't be worried about them.

First of all: Thanks a lot to Gig, for his outstanding work! I can play M2 with a new operation system like Win 7 and Win 10 without error message from the copy protection as Kingdom.exe is used.

I tried to read all posts on all 26 pages and finally I made it, even though English is not my 1st language. So I've learnt from a post that clicking on the small green plus-button gives really reputation to the user.....I ever thought it is a rhetorically thing only....
    Unfortunately, the forum allowes me to give rep only one time, what is a pity, because Gig deserves a ton more of rep!

Back to the topic:
    I like it very much that I can play the good old Grand Campaign, but this time with the more developed (and hopefully a little more bug-free) Kingdom.exe. My question: the projectiles are not permanend? I guess no, because I tested it out with Javelins and they disappeared immediately.
    It is a pity, 3 years ago I was able to modify the descr_projectile.txt and descr_effect_impacts.txt that projectiles got permanent, but I forgot how I did it.

Blog Entries

It isn't really advisable to set the fading time too long - it has a serious impact on performance. It's in descr_effects_impact.txt:
    Code:
    effect arrow_ground_impact
    {
        type projectile
        {
            model        models_effects/arrow_projectile_ground_impact.CAS
            sort_for_speed
            clr_adjust_by_ambient_intensity

fade_time    3
        }
    }

Was it that easy? IIRC the textures for e.g. Javelins were missing....I believe I stole it from TATW3.1 at that time.
    Regarding the impact on the performance: I can not confirm any problems with too many arrows in the game, I played a campaign and I had some heavy battles against the Mongols, but no performance problems occured. The today's computers are anyway ways better than 10 years ago when M2 was published.
    Last edited by Granatenwerfer; October 24, 2016 at 05:14 PM.

Blog Entries

It's possible that graphic cards can handle this much better now, it used to be a game breaker a few years ago

If you use custom projectiles then you obviously need their textures as well - open the projectiles CAS file (models_missile directory) with Notepad and check at the bottom for the path and name of that texture and then provide that texture.

I've made it! Crossbows and Javelins are now in the game visible. Also arrows are longer visible.
    You are right, it is fade_time and play_time.

[IMG] [/IMG]

I love it.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Minor update

- Added file verification after installation
    - Provided missing descr_faction_movies file for custom campaigns

I have a question to v2.03: I found higher values for full_health regarding walls in descr_walls.txt as in the same file in the vanilla version. Example: short wooden walls: full_health 400 - old value was 125. Is it a kingdoms-thing or is it changed by you?

Blog Entries

That's a kingdoms set value - only the siege_tower_size values were adjusted in this file to match ladders\towers to wall height.