Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Adriatic: Total War

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Adriatic: Total War

to answer the question why did we chose 1080

Why did we chose 1080? well, we have lot more of reliable informations of events that took place around 1080, we know lot more about relations between states, about how army looked, and so on...and also earlier timeframe in same ( and biggger) space will be done by The Great Conflicts

in other hand you might ask yourself, "why havent you take 1300, 1400, or some later year as a start?"
    well the answer is simple, Tsardoms is alredy doing it!!

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Hrobatos View Post
    to answer the question why did we chose 1080

Why did we chose 1080? well, we have lot more of reliable informations of events that took place around 1080, we know lot more about relations between states, about how army looked, and so on...and also earlier timeframe in same ( and biggger) space will be done by The Great Conflicts

in other hand you might ask yourself, "why havent you take 1300, 1400, or some later year as a start?"
    well the answer is simple, Tsardoms is alredy doing it!!
    Thats very reasonable. And indeed, why one make a mod that Tsardoms is already doing.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Interesting...
    A series of mods that begin where the previus ends...
    Interesting.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

anyway, I decided to show early preview of the map...

so, Pikacrodux made the list of regions, I made the map, and phoenix(illusion) made mod folder, adjusted some files, made others etc...
    Last edited by Hrobatos; May 05, 2010 at 03:44 PM.

Too small, the map is too small to fit my taste Anyway nice to see you progressing.

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian_Noble View Post
    Too small, the map is too small to fit my taste Anyway nice to see you progressing.
    well i like smaller mods, they have a higher chance of successful release. better to start small and then grow with time

Quote Originally Posted by matko View Post
    well i like smaller mods, they have a higher chance of successful release. better to start small and then grow with time
    A small mod may have a big map. Why not? Big map gives a nice feeling of an epic world. It also enable you to design a beatiful landscape. This is why I took the max available size for the map I do for Broken Crescent 3. Anyway I still think you have the chance to be a nice mod with a sweet gameplay, despite that small map. So I will keep an eye on you, A:TW team

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

You are joking aren't you?

Overly big maps are just wasted space...

Quote Originally Posted by Víkingr View Post
    You are joking aren't you?

Overly big maps are just wasted space...
    Funny, but I'm thinking the same about you joking There is never enough space for a war. The larger area the smarter you need to be when managing your armies. Small map means little space for ambushes and greater chances for constant siegies. Large spaces means more open field battles and more epic campaign.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Funny, but I'm thinking the same about you joking
    lol. I should of seen that one coming.

There is never enough space for a war. The larger area the smarter you need to be when managing your armies. Small map means little space for ambushes and greater chances for constant siegies. Large spaces means more open field battles and more epic campaign.
    I agree. But make it too large and the map isn't populated enough, just wide open spaces with little else. Personally, I find some of the big maps to be boring. I suppose it depends of how its done though. Still, the current map seems big enough to me.

A big one doesn't always get the job done to satisfaction... Or so I'm told.

when the settlements are close together there will most likely be an endless chain of siege battles.
    a small map area utilizing the maximum resolution allows for further distances between settlements and increasing the chances for meeting ones enemy in open field. sieges have a quite repettative design of the battleground(walls, gates and towers), while open field offers more variation.
    furthermore, a small map area on maximum resolution allows for more "realistic" landscape.
    may i ask what is the map size?

though it seem to me that you have used a bit more extremes in the map_heights than most, i think that is a good thing. i prefer landscape where features are easily recognizable, mountain ranges in particular.
    it bums me out when even the Alps looks like a road bump...
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by Víkingr View Post
    Still, the current map seems big enough to me.
    Think of it that way: we all like pernament stone forts which was a great addition of kingdoms, right? Now, the map at its present shape may look quite OK, but if you would add some PSFs to it then it would be too crowded for sure.
    Last edited by Silesian_Noble; May 06, 2010 at 02:54 AM.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

My only thought is that the map should cover all the Balkans and not just the Western bit, I understand the wish to focus on Croatia, as everybody else neglects her, but covering the whole Balkans would give a better represent what was going on between; Bulgars ,Croats, Serbs, Hungarian, Venetians and Romans etc .Just my opinion, still think it will be a good mod

Signature made by Joar

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    when the settlements are close together there will most likely be an endless chain of siege battles.
    a small map area utilizing the maximum resolution allows for further distances between settlements and increasing the chances for meeting ones enemy in open field. sieges have a quite repettative design of the battleground(walls, gates and towers), while open field offers more variation.
    furthermore, a small map area on maximum resolution allows for more "realistic" landscape.
    I agree...A map that focuses to a small goegrafical part of a continent with the maximum size the game offers add to realism.
    Even the strat_map models look more realistic on it.

A mod can present the urban sitiuation of its area more realisticaly ,the same time that mods that cover huge parts of the planet must focus on a small number of important urban centers.
    Permanent stone forts add more in that realism!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by constantius View Post
    My only thought is that the map should cover all the Balkans and not just the Western bit, I understand the wish to focus on Croatia, as everybody else neglects her, but covering the whole Balkans would give a better represent what was going on between; Bulgars ,Croats, Serbs, Hungarian, Venetians and Romans etc .Just my opinion, still think it will be a good mod
    I agree, I completely agree, but we dont have team capable for such task... If some experienced modders would join us, then perhaps, for now it would only led us to dead mod...

anyway a new ss of the map
    and I added these two pics as a early map preview in first post

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Hrobatos; May 06, 2010 at 04:21 AM.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Is there nowhere you can "BORROW" a map from, I wish I could help as AnthoniusII said this mod would slot in in a sort of series of Balkans mods covering 9Th to 14Th centuries (sorry can't remember Finnish date of Tsardoms) and I for one would love to see this complete. I may not have been born in the Balkans, but the beautiful countries and fascinating history draws me to it. So I hope all goes well

Signature made by Joar

its not about the map, I can make the map...other things concern us with significantly bigger map, we wanna keep it as a small mod which we can finish, without bigger team, meaning modders not historians, we wont go in bigger picture than it is now...

its not about the map, I can make the map...other things concern us with significantly bigger map, we wanna keep it as a small mod which we can finish, without bigger team, meaning modders not historians, we wont go in bigger picture than it is now...
    But you do the same amount of scripts whether the map is big or small (if you keep the same number of provinces). There is only more painting job related directly with map designing. So I don't understand your worries about big map.

its not the map, its the new factions, units and other stuff we would had to do...and for the team as it is now, thats too much of work...

its not the map, its the new factions, units and other stuff we would had to do...
    you misunderstand.
    what we are talking about is the same map area with max resolution...
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel