Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: [AUI] Alternate Ui's v1.20 "GOLD EDITION" // compatible with TATW2.1 and FROME2.0 // Preview of new UI's at the end of page 66

Default Re: [AUI] Alternate Ui's Project (Isengard UPDATED - update 29/04 / High Elven Buttons Preview - update 28/04 / Gondor UPDATED - update 29/04 / Lorien Preview - update 29/04)

Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    You should accept criticeses.
    I do: If you read french you could criticise (I ask them!) my translations for UFO:Aftershock (re-translation of the official, it was too bad) and WarlordsIV (translation of the last patch).
    Accepting criticism's is all well and good - but you cannot say that you have done your own work, when that work involves changing text, rather than graphical content.

It's like a wine taster saying that as a Wine Taster, he confirms that this whiskey is the best one in the world.

THe argument holds little water, so to speak.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [AUI] Alternate Ui's Project (Isengard UPDATED - update 29/04 / High Elven Buttons Preview - update 28/04 / Gondor UPDATED - update 29/04 / Lorien Preview - update 29/04)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    It's like a wine taster saying that as a Wine Taster, he confirms that this whiskey is the best one in the world.
    I don't have to be a viticulturist to taste wines. But learning how to grow wines helps the professional tasters; but they don't have to make their own wines to be tasters.
    Please stop your bad arguments. Just say you don't like that a forum-newb dare criticizing.

EDIT: I taste all I want. My poor criticism is a truth you can't stand as you take it as an insult.
    Last edited by Vifarc; May 01, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by cedric37 View Post
    wait to see this in the game, as i said earlier, the buttons are zoomed in big time; most of the "flaws" will disappear when scaled down.
    Ok, I'll wait.
    My small products here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    I don't have to be a viticulturist to taste wines. But learning how to grow wines helps the professional tasters; but they don't have to make their own wines to be tasters.
    Who said you did? Regardless of your reasons for being a wine taster, you're still a wine taster, rather than a whiskey taster.

If you've edited some text files to make a translation, good for you. But that has no relevance to 2D art. A novelist may write a book, and need a front cover. He can say he doesn't like something, and suggests where it comes to be improved. But he doesn't go ahead and say "It looks like poo" and then expect not to be criticised when all he's done is write a book. However, if it was Monet, or Picasso or Van Gogh who wrote the book, and asked for someone else to do it, then there'd be in their rights to do so.

Please stop your bad arguments. Just say you don't like that a forum-newb dare criticizing.
    Sorry, I don't tell lies. It's not that your a newb at all. I made the comment that you were attempting to justify criticism and insults of 2D artwork with your background as a text editor.

I'm not telling you to shut up because you don't know what you're talking about, I'm merely telling you to shut the insults up. There's no call whatsoever for that.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

great work

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

There is such a thing as poor criticism.... Especially if the critic doesn't know much about the area he is critiquing (be it arts, foods or whatever).
    Last edited by Louis Lux; May 01, 2010 at 10:35 AM.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

These look fantastic. Ambience-enhancing; love it. Nice bit of slight-of-hand on the 1 UI = 1 culture thing. +rep

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

There's no way I'm going to read through all those post made in my absence, I'll just say good work and give you some rep.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Thanks guys and sorry no new preview or release today
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

very good!! hope you'll finish soon! +rep

I want to +rep you more but have to spread it around more first!

Patrician Citizen

Thanks guys.
    @PB: Spread it on the sexy FROME leader as it seems to koultouras i was his main repping source those last days
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

Hey ced, it's me again ranting about minor issues . It seems like the OK buttons for all but Isengard have vastly inferior resolution compared to all other icons. Especially the tree in Gondor's OK button looks very rough-edged and 'hazy' if you will. Also Gondor's and Isengard's finance buttons seem similarly rough.

Any news on the Gondor mission icon aligned with the pillar ^^?

Patrician Citizen

Hi Kikka,

Quote Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
    It seems like the OK buttons for all but Isengard have vastly inferior resolution compared to all other icons. Especially the tree in Gondor's OK button looks very rough-edged and 'hazy' if you will.
    The wax seals you mean ? On the preview it is quite rough you are right, because the image was smaller at the origin. But in game it normally looks alright. And wax seals will always look a bit dirty since wax is a material where you cannot have much precision.

Can you make me a favour ?
    Try it in game and let me know if it still look so rough ?
    I need more in-game feedback actually.

Also Gondor's and Isengard's finance buttons seem similarly rough.
    Maybe i've been too heavy on the sharpen tool, i'll try to soften it a bit (EDIT or try another pic)

Any news on the Gondor mission icon aligned with the pillar ^^?
    I've already moved it a bit to the right, after that i reach the limit allowed.
    Did you check the last preview ? I've adjusted some elements here and there, including the palantir.

Hope those points are not stopping the pleasure you get playing with those UI's.

Cheers,
    Cédric

EDIT2: after having checked in game, those points are very hardly noticeable; the only thing is the Isengard Treasure pic which i should change, but i cannot find something good for now
    Last edited by cedric37; May 03, 2010 at 03:45 AM.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Try it in game and let me know if it still look so rough ?
    I need more in-game feedback actually.
    You should beware about this on the first post, that your previews are to be seen scaled down ingame. You will then have more usefull criticizes. Thanks again for your work (I should have already rep you a week ago).
    Last edited by Vifarc; May 03, 2010 at 08:16 AM.
    My small products here.

Patrician Citizen

Np mate, nice to see that we are in good terms again
    And yes i will add a point of attention in the 1st post

I hope to be able to release sylvan UI soon for you guys to beta test it in game (if my RL gives me a bit more time). But stay tuned

EDIT: i added this in 1st post

Note: The button previews you see are zoomed in big time, most flaws you might notice will vanish in game.
    If you still encounter noticeable flaws in game, please let me know.
    Last edited by cedric37; May 03, 2010 at 08:42 AM.

Hey Cedric, yesterday I tested ingame your Gondor UI and I have some suggestions. First of all, everything looks a bit over-saturated making it overall too restless for the eye. Many details are also lost in the 'brightness'.

Another critique is that I find the theme somewhat inconsistent and unsettled. The vanilla UI had a calm color theme of gray which was befittingly neutral, whereas you have chosen to use various colors: dark blue in the background of the army/settlement box, light blue in the background of the construction and character boxes and vanilla grey for the rest. I think it's too much. Especially the dark blue (with the shade of the white tree) is too prominent and being so dark draws too much attention and fills too big a visual space. It also highlights the contrast between the white icons and the background making everything look too glaring.

Lastly, the two black lines crossing the pillars seem like bugs. Are they?

I hope this is helpful .

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Hey (sexy)"Lord of the UIngs" is it possible to have an in game Lorien UI prewiew?
    good morning!

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
    First of all, everything looks a bit over-saturated making it overall too restless for the eye. Many details are also lost in the 'brightness'. Another critique is that I find the theme somewhat inconsistent and unsettled.
    What is inconsistent ? It is black and white as gondor colours and a bit of blue as the flag of Gondor, where is inconsitency ? It perfectly fits for Gondor IMO.

The vanilla UI had a calm color theme of gray which was befittingly neutral, whereas you have chosen to use various colors: dark blue in the background of the army/settlement box, light blue in the background of the construction and character boxes and vanilla grey for the rest. I think it's too much. Especially the dark blue (with the shade of the white tree) is too prominent and being so dark draws too much attention and fills too big a visual space. It also highlights the contrast between the white icons and the background making everything look too glaring.
    Ok so to be consistent everything must be monochrome, gray being the best.

Lastly, the two black lines crossing the pillars seem like bugs. Are they?
    They have been added to match the black & white decor in the Gondor throne room.

I hope this is helpful .
    Yeah helpfull as a cold shower, thanks.

Really, i think this submod is not for you, i don't intend of remaking dull and gray vanilla UI's. Sorry to destroy your hopes. I really dislike this overwhelming gray in the vanilla UI's that you seem to love.

All the elements you describe as defaults are for me improvements.
    I respect your opinion but i just don't agree on any point you raised.

@Koul: No sorry buddy, no sylvan UI to show you today

Ok so to be consistent everything must be monochrome, gray being the best.
    Not at all. I like the light blue you chose. I just think that the background should be serene and not draw too much attention. This way the detailed icons get deserved attention and dont get drown in the dark background. I'm looking for balance and moderation. I absolutely love your icons but I think they would best fit in a calmer background; be it grey or light blue. I would like the buttons to sort of pop out of the background as opposed to sink in it.

Yeah helpfull as a cold shower, thanks.
    Sorry if I made you feel that way :/

I really dislike this overwhelming gray in the vanilla UI's that you seem to love.
    I don't love it, but I think your new icons are enough to remove the dullness. Why not give it a try and just change you icons to the vanilla background and post a screenshot here? I would do it myself if you tell me how. I suppose it shouldnt be too hard?

Really, i think this submod is not for you
    Well, I shall follow this mod nevertheless and see how it turns out .