Thread: The March of the Third, the story of the Legion that saved Rome.

Default The March of the Third, the story of the Legion that saved Rome.

It is the year 267BC. Rome is plunged into war on every front, with stinking Gauls smashing through the floodgates of Legions to the North, while the bloody sons of Dido are engaging the might of Rome in a valiant attempt to retake Roman Sicily, as their navy strangles our peninsula. Our hero, Decius Mus is crushing the Greeks the Tarentine heel, however his army cannot be everywhere at once...the empire itself is falling to pieces. During these hard times, the Roman Republic's economy is flagging, the people of Rome themselves have sold their jewelry and sent their sons to finance the creation of one new, modern Legion. In these times of strife and sacrafice, the Third Legion of Roma was born.

The command of the lifeline of the republic has fallen on the shoulders of me, Augustus Marcellus, personally appointed by the aging leader of the Senate, Flavius Julius.

The Third quickly receives their deployment orders, they are to be shipped south to Sicily to deal with Carthaginian stacks chilling around Messena, raising all kinda Hell. My AO is Northern Sicily, so I plan on landing around the toe of Italy and crossing the Strait (of Messena) on small crafts. Destruction of the Carthaginian Armies are the objective. That is all I need to accomplish, a relatively easy mission. Hoorah.

The Landings go smoothly and the march goes without incident. As we approach the Carthaginian stack, we take the double line formation in anticipation for our attack.

Forgive me, I am meeting my girlfriend for dinner and must leave about 5 minutes ago to be on time. I will read over and correct me horrible grammer and speeling.
    Passing on to describe the way in which Napoleon employed ‘principles’ or ‘ingredients’ for the prosecution of War, it must from the outset be understood that his strategical and tactical systems followed no closely ruled pattern. Every operation was unique; no two were ever quite the same. However, the underlying every Campaign and battle were certain fundamental, which were applied according to circumstances.
    ‘Strategy is the art of making use of Time and Space,’ wrote the Emperor”

-from the Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler, Pages 161-162

Civis

Default Re: The March of the Third, the story of the Legion that saved Rome.

the horrible speeling?
    how did you manage to let the marian reforms happen? did rome grow so fast? or did you cheated?
    r you going to conquer carthage right away and let decius slaughter the gauls?
    Last edited by death to the romans; April 13, 2010 at 12:11 AM.

This is not dead. I am on vacation for another two ays, after which i will finish the tale of the third
    Passing on to describe the way in which Napoleon employed ‘principles’ or ‘ingredients’ for the prosecution of War, it must from the outset be understood that his strategical and tactical systems followed no closely ruled pattern. Every operation was unique; no two were ever quite the same. However, the underlying every Campaign and battle were certain fundamental, which were applied according to circumstances.

PS-Bump

Bumpety. I should be getting home soon, that volcanio in celand is raising all sorts of Hell for the airlines...atleast im stuck in NYC!

lol, good luck! I've got a couple friends stuck in Iberia atm.

Civis

that's bad luck friend. however testflights are made where no problem occurred so probably you can go home soon.

Yay! They said probably either tmrw or the next day. but they have been saying that all week.

Quote Originally Posted by death to the romans View Post
    how did you manage to let the marian reforms happen?
    I just spammed peasants into Tarentum and built farms and temples. It actually hapenned quite quickly. Unfortunately i had to let it rebel then slaughter the population.

i wonder when this volcano will stop erupting

Okay I AM HOME!!!! Now m gonna go sleep for 12 hours, wake up drink a Mtn Dew and write up the AARs

k thats good to hear!