Page 90 of 95 FirstFirst ... 406580818283848586878889909192939495 LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 1888

Thread: Curial Election Commentary Thread

Default Re: Curial Election Commentary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    @Pike: no harm done, if you like to do something like this but keep the original post in the thread its poster intended it to be also, simply select it by ticking the box, then choose the moderation tools option "copy posts", insert the url of the thread you want it to copy to and be done with it. Then simply leave an in post paint edit in the newly copied post with a link to the original (and still existing) post in the original thread, explain your reasoing and everything's cool
    I didn't move it. I left it there. I am confused!
    I will put it back in. [edit: done!]
    Last edited by PikeStance; August 14, 2015 at 03:31 AM.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Now I am too

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Election-XIII-2015] Magistrate - Debate Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    I'm conflicted about the rule that prevents consecutive terms. It opens up more positions for more people by ensuring that a magistrate doesn't sit in the same position and lock it down by being the incumbent - as y2day did a few years ago. That isn't a criticism of him, just a comment that it reduces the opportunities for new people to enter the Tribunal system. On the other hand, it might be worth it to get rid of the rule with so few candidates. Placing barriers in front of magistrates so that they can't reapply doesn't seem that clever if it means there is only one person who applies.

Magistrates should be elected as it provides a pathway to individual interpretation of the ToS that is separate to the group interpretation that is adopted and enforced by moderation branch. I don't think it should be by appointment only but maybe the franchise could expand.

Would anyone be interested in removing the 3 month limitation for new citizens? Time spent as a citizen has no bearing on being able to interpret the ToS. It might make sense to have a waiting period for a censor, but there's no good reason to have one for a magistrate, especially if the number of candidates is low and people like Iskar would have otherwise applied. Thoughts?

Spoiler for fine print about why I posted at all
    Just a point about moi. I haven't engaged in any blaming; my post was deliberately not about fault. Omni, check the title of my post. It was posted in the debate thread, the only question that was in there, and then moved here. It wasn't a commentary on the election as per this thread, it was a question for debate in the magistrate election but it got moved. Oh well, the candidate responded (having seen him in action, I would have voted for him regardless - but it's still interesting to read his opinion) and others have come up with some interesting ideas anyway.
    We have a tendency to put the same criteria into new positions from the historic formats of the constitution, often losing site of why those criteria were necessary in the first place. The 3 month rule being a perfect example, and as you say it's not really an indicator of ability in terms of the understanding the ToS. The 3 month rule, as I recall started when citizens were not allowed to patronize until they became 'Patricians.' It was carried over to the CdeC and then the Tribunal.

So yes, I would support removal of the rule..

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I didn't move it. I left it there. I am confused!
    I will put it back in. [edit: done!]
    Ah, sorry, that would have been me. Since the election was finished I was about to close the threads and move them to the Tabularium, so I moved the posts that entailed further discussion to where the discussion could continue. The possibility to just copy them eluded me, so sorry for that again.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

I've sat on 0 cases the entire time I've been a Magistrate this term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

I'll get cracking of the whip then, get those moderators infracting like crazy. Wait, that's not what you meant right?

Seriously, these issues are all tied together - a lack of activity and interest in the the Curia means a limited number of candidates for any position.

What might help in the longer term is to make rule changes easier and quicker. If we can make it simpler to change things then, should the Curia become more active again with more candidates the rule can be re-instituted.

However, right now, we could modify the rule such that if we have X or more applicants for a position then a consecutive term rule will be enforced. If we make X 3 or 5 or something like that it allows consecutive terms now but should the Curia be more active in the future then we don't have to change a rule again, it automatically kicks in.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

That could be pretty messy. You wouldn't want to have a candidate start a debate, answer some questions and then get blocked from applying. I think it would be better to just suspend the rule and reinstate it later if we need to. It's a good rule, it just isn't useful right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    I've sat on 0 cases the entire time I've been a Magistrate this term.
    You've done an impeccable job though.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

What genius says.

Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, the last five elections weren't elections in the strict sense, rather appointments of the single applicants. It might be beneficial to our little pseudo-democracy role-play to have n > 1 applicants for once...

EDIT: I would have applied, but was unexpectedly dipped in blue paint.
    Last edited by Iskar; August 26, 2015 at 10:58 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Will you furthr employ Shankbot for the curial CMS?
    [more than happy if you say no, I've done a rubbish job these past 3 months and I don't think I'll have the time ]
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Moderator Emeritus

In case anyone did not notice: The poll for Curator is up.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

@Magistrate election, c'mon people, apply, you gotta see the world and get to know fellow members of the board better than you'd ever wanted it's an all around fun job, given that there actually is something to do

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Moderator Emeritus

This.

And if you don't have an excuse for not applying (such as already holding an office, being a moderator or admin or an emeritus or clinically insane): Why are you not applying?

Blog Entries

And finally you'll be able to act like you're cool saying things like "Hey Jom, high five" and "G, whats going on down there?"

Seriously: A not stressful job, two nice fellow, and an opportunity to learn.

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

We need something to entice people to apply for office, there has been only one applicant for Censor and the application thread closes tomorrow.

I see the same thing happening for Magistrate. I will step forward if others won't but I'm afraid it will be a trial by fire.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

The story line of the Curia is getting boring, perhaps we should spicy it up (install a dictator or something else) the people must be entertained

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Blog Entries

Where is your badge?

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

I just got it right now

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    The story line of the Curia is getting boring, perhaps we should spicy it up (install a dictator or something else) the people must be entertained
    I'd say gladiators games should work better in this sense; I look forward to see a mishkin-Secutor vs a PikeStance-Retiarius fight!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Coolest custom user title EVER
    (Cant rep you now. Tomorrow)
    Last edited by mishkin; September 16, 2015 at 02:34 PM.