Page 94 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4469848586878889909192939495 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 1888

Thread: Curial Election Commentary Thread

mishkin's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Curial Election Commentary Thread

And this does not mean that other people can not apply with options to be chosen, of course.
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

Radzeer's Avatar Rogue Bodemloze
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    I always thought the point was that a Moderator-Curator would know the moderation history and infraction background of referred citizens and would thus make his possible tie break decision based on arguments that he is barred from disclosing.
    Good point, but I think that a Moderator-Curator had been vetted enough already to be trusted to make a fair decision.

Omni is right about the previous examples. As far as I know, this has not been a problem, which partly explains why there is no regulation about it. Feel free to quote my post giving you the green light if you wish to apply.

PikeStance's Avatar ⚜️ Omnipresent ⚜️
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Semantics
    Not in the least. I chose to withdraw on my own volition for reasons stated; among them being that Lied William had applied and I was starting a new position. Moreover I have dine mt service to the Curua by volunteering when Bo one had. UT us now someone else's turn to sacrifice their time and energy.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

Blog Entries

What does it matter if there is a "green light" from moderation, the conflict isn't with mideration????
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Patrician Citizen

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Instead it is with... what?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Not in the least. I chose to withdraw on my own volition for reasons stated; among them being that Lied William had applied and I was starting a new position. Moreover I have dine mt service to the Curua by volunteering when Bo one had. UT us now someone else's turn to sacrifice their time and energy.
    I am used to seeing "a few" spelling errors in your posts which did not bother me that much. Most of us slip up now and then. Lately though it has gotten to the point that I sometimes am having trouble understanding (part of) what you are posting.

The part I highlighted in the quote is even painful IMO.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

46 eyes + iPhone 4s + auto spell

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Blog Entries

As it seems that, contrary to what I believed, moderatorship and curatorship do not conflict, I'm happy to apply for the position.
    I am not sure how being a moderator does not conflict with the role the Curator play in referrals. The Curator should not be privy to anymore information than the Censors. There is no way that you can impartially deliberate without this information being a factor in your decision. This has been shown psychologically and epistemological-ly.

In a practical sense' how much free time can you have to do both jobs? It seems like a fast track for a burn out.

Patron of
    _Tataros_

I am not sure how being a moderator does not conflict with the role the Curator play in referrals. The Curator should not be privy to anymore information than the Censors. There is no way that you can impartially deliberate without this information being a factor in your decision. This has been shown psychologically and epistemological-ly.
    To have access to information does not mean you lose your reasoning ability and your impartiality. Does not turn you into berserker. If you doubt about his capabilities as a member of the triumvirate, of course vote No in the poll
    Last edited by mishkin; December 05, 2015 at 04:23 AM.
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

Blog Entries

Hyperbole post of the day award.

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Try to ignore the hyperbole and answer the question. His situation as moderator prevent him for, if necessary, formulate a fair decision?

Patrician Citizen

In a practical sense' how much free time can you have to do both jobs? It seems like a fast track for a burn out.
    1) Several people expressed their opinion that one can expect a moderator-curator to judge impartially and actively disregard his moderation knowledge for referral cases. See e.g. Q's and Radzeer's posts above.
    2) -snip- (Veteraan expressed it much mor elegantly.)

Also, what?
    What does it matter if there is a "green light" from moderation, the conflict isn't with mideration????
    Last edited by Iskar; December 05, 2015 at 06:45 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator
    Citizen

I agree with Mishkin on this. Apart from the fact that nobody can be truly impartial in the first place, it has little to do with the amount of info a person has about a case.

We don't know how much free time other people have and it is none of our business IMO.

As for doing both jobs, we have already seen that it will probably not be problematic as a certain assistant seems to have done most of the curatorial job in the previous administration, while being a moderator at the same time. Who was that fellow again?

Edit: Massively by the guy himself.
    Last edited by Veteraan; December 05, 2015 at 06:52 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Try to ignore the hyperbole and answer the question. His situation as moderator prevent him for, if necessary, formulate a fair decision?
    1) Several people expressed their opinion that one can expect a moderator-curator to judge impartially and actively disregard his moderation knowledge for referral cases. See e.g. Q's and Radzeer's posts above.
    First, my comments were a general response which has nothing to do with any specific person in mind. Iskar was quoted as a basis of my comments only. The fact that it involved his application is pure happenstance.

As you know I have served as a moderator (AOL) and as a sports official for over 15+ years. As a referee there have been many cases, when a referee would inform a referee to "watch out for #4..." Sure enough #4 would almost always be cautioned. These referees all have experiences greater than myself. There are some of most honest persons I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Moreover, I had the same treatment and I found myself cautioning "#4." I did some research and found that this was a natural occurrence. Later, I would interrupt the "helpful referee." Guess what? Good ole "#4" wasn't cautioned. There is also an instant familiarity as well. There was one particular school who's principal was a referee. He respected me a great deal. I ended up doing a lot of his teams games. I ended it when I felt that I could no longer trust my judgement. In a nutshell, even the most conscientious person can lose site of objectivity. Am I judging harshly because I know too much, or am I over compensating. In this case, once you have the knowledge you cannot undo the knowledge. Moreover, your brain will work over time to convince you that you are being objective. No one is immune to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    I agree with Mishkin on this. Apart from the fact that nobody can be truly impartial in the first place, it has little to do with the amount of info a person has about a case.
    Does it? I am ot so certain based on the discussion related to "good citizenship."

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    We don't know how much free time other people have and it is none of our business IMO.

As for doing both jobs, we have already seen that it will probably not be problematic as a certain assistant seems to have done most of the curatorial job in the previous administration, while being a moderator at the same time. Who was that fellow again?

Edit: Massively by the guy himself.
    I have seen "super posters" come and go! I have no concern about the now. I hate to see anyone overstretch their enthusiasm at the expense of longevity.

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Aikanár's Avatar Shadow of the past
    Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Election-XXII-2015] Magistrate - Debate Thread

A question for everybody who is not either serving as site moderator or HEX, why are you not running in this election?

Posts #1875 to 1878 moved here from the Magistrate debate thread as they were no questions to candidates. ~Iskar
    Last edited by Iskar; December 18, 2015 at 02:26 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Because I'm a tribune
    Last edited by Iskar; December 18, 2015 at 02:24 PM. Reason: question to candidates kept in the magistrate debate thread

Flinn's Avatar The Alpha Santa!
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director Modding Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    A question for everybody who is not either serving as site moderator or HEX, why are you not running in this election?
    as for me, it's a mix of lack of time and little skills with bureaucratic stuff; probably the Magistrate position does not require, in general, much time, but for me it would still be quite demanding as it seems I need more time than the normal to dig into such stuff.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

My term as Censor expires Feb. 16 2016. When I had applied for Censor I committed to serving my full term. (Unstated). On principle, I do not believe in "switching" from one position to another because a perceived hierarchy.
    Essentially, I have no great desire to acquire any position on TWC, I do so out of necessity or need, unless I find it interesting. (e.g. Librarian and Vault). I have enough responsibility in real life. I much rather see a young man (20s) choose to participate in these positions.

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Really tired lately.
    By the way, I do not think anyone have to justify not wanting to participate actively in this place.
    Last edited by mishkin; December 18, 2015 at 10:30 AM.

Patrician Citizen

In case anyone has been wondering, I could not find any provisions in the Constitution preventing Tribunes from running for the Censor position. Neither did any conflict of interest occur to me in that regard, as the two positions judge users in a quite different scope. Responsibly handling the information they are privy to in their respective positions can, I think, be expected from Tribunes, who are reliable members specifically chosen by Hex for their fair and impartial judgement.