Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsardoms Total War - FACTION PREVIEW: Principality of Wallachia

Default Re: FACTION PREVIEW: Principality of Wallachia

Interesting picture. Isn't the first and third shield a cavalry pavise? The second shield is quite unusual, as it looks like typical western triangular shield but with symetrical indentations, while usually there is only one indentation for a lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Also, wouldn't a Mamluke have more Eastern-looking clothing, maybe a turban (I know this soudns a bit stereotypical)?
    These guys seem to have more traditional balkan clothing, especially the famous hats )
    That's what I was thinking as well! I mean c'mon, a wool/fur hat for Egyptian mamelukes!?

The detail on the "Mameluke" image is amazing. I wish we had this image when we were still working on the Wallachian roster. Maybe after all the factions are finished there could be some refinement of models (though the way the Wallachian cavalry looks now is accurate enough).

As for the shield: some elements may be from the artist's imagination. For instance, the heraldry seems like a very odd combination that might not actually have existed. The symmetric indentations might be an attempt at making the unit appear more exotic? I imagine that is also why the scimitar is in the image; Ottoman forces preferred to use the yatagan and I cannot imagine how these "Mamelukes" got a hold of such an elaborate and exotic weapon.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Romano-Dacis View Post

So now we have an image with "Mamelukes" depicted in Wallachian battle dress. The question is simple: which of the following interpretations is correct:
    a) The depiction from Holland is wrong, and copied off of a depiction of Mamelukes.
    b) The depiction of the Mamelukes is wrong, and copied off of familiar designs for Balkan light cavalry, especially Wallachian cavalry.
    c) They are both right; the "Mamelukes" in question are probably Wallachian auxiliaries in the Ottoman army, wrongly identified as "Christian slaves."

I am of the opinion that most likely it is a labeling error in the second depiction. Furthermore, take a look at the heraldry on the shield of the middle "mameluke." Why would he have the Byzantine coat-of-arms on his shield?
    The image you presented is highly dubious. Eiter is a wrong label or it is an unfortunate artistic representation of a medieval author who had no idea how Mameluks looked. What is clear is the fact that these soldiers were not Mameluks, but Balkan (maybe Wallachian) soldiers, conclusion I based not only on the image you have presented, but also on severaly images from "Istoria Militara a Poporului Roman" such as this
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and enforced by a well researched drawing made by a Polish blogger

By the way, the blog is quite interesting, but is mainly covering the Polish history
    http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/...ht-second.html

Great find mircea! +rep!

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

I've seen the one from "Istoria Militara a Poporului Roman", but the Polish drawing is great. There's a few more images of Wallachian light cavalry around such as this one:

And this one:

And they all share a lot of similarities.

Mircea, are there any good photos in Volume III of Istoria Militara a Poporului Roman?

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

For all those interested here's a great essay in English about the urban medieval economy in Wallachia. It talks about the trade relations of Wallachia with Transylvania, the other Balkan states, Poland, the type of products involved in trade, the crafts and other occupations and the effects of the increasing Ottoman dominance.

Excellent preview!

Sir.Cojocarius's Avatar Civis

It looks great cant wait!! But does anyone know atleast which month it comes out?

nobody knows...

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Its going to be soon- but by soon I mean 1-2 may be 3 months.Only the serbian and the bosnin rooster have to be done before v1 .

Ampra's Avatar Centenarius

Guys I can tell you that whole team is very ,very active !!!! We are working a lot
    "At first we were confused. The East thought that we were West, while the West considered us to be East. Some of us misunderstood our place in the clash of currents, so they cried that we belong to neither side- and others that we belong exclusively to one side or the other. But I tell you, Irenaeus, we are doomed by fate to be the East in the West and the West in the East, to acknowledge only heavenly Jerusalem beyond us, and here on earth--no one." - St. Sava (of Serbia) to Irenaeus, 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Ampra View Post
    Guys I can tell you that whole team is very ,very active !!!! We are working a lot
    It is great to hear

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I must say this mod and this faction are too great. Will you finish it this year, at least?
    [Col] RO Citizen

we are doing our best.

TTW GRANDMASTER

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

hey Sir Cojocaru that picture is reserved by Visarion and can be used by Visarion only! kiddin' pal!

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    hey Sir Cojocaru that picture is reserved by Visarion and can be used by Visarion only! kiddin' pal!
    Hahaha in the begging I was like???

musktete's Avatar Foederatus

Thanx guys that you are still working at this mod. I can't wait to finaly play this game with factions wich really had significant importance in Balkan area. Keep up with the good & hard work, you deserve all the apreciation!

~
    NIHIL SINE DEO ~

Quote Originally Posted by musktete View Post
    Thanx guys that you are still working at this mod. I can't wait to finaly play this game with factions wich really had significant importance in Balkan area. Keep up with the good & hard work, you deserve all the apreciation!
    Agree to 100% Good job!

Nice

Long live the the united Romania and Dobruja(Dobrogea)the most loyal non Romanians.We honor aur ancester as always we have done

It will be nice if will be some Danubian units from Dobruja