Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Questions & Suggestions

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Questions & Suggestions

By Rebellous Dynasty do you mean rebels?????
    because if you dont it preety much sucks that there are unplayable factions
    youll get more info in our next preview

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

stephan, from where is the picture from your sig? is it possible to have it in hi res?

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

Quote Originally Posted by CHERNOBOG View Post
    stephan, from where is the picture from your sig? is it possible to have it in hi res?
    It's from a picture of one of our loading screen.

yes, but from where did you took it? also, are there anymore like it? it looks cool, i would like to have it in hi res

Wouldn't it be better if you guys included Greece in the map? The Greece vs. Persian wars could also be added.

Automatix's Avatar Semisalis

Yes I am for Greeks-Persian wars too, when your mod ending around 500 BC and this year is the beginning year for these wars so maybe for next verson of this mod (2.0) there could be implement greeks city states and these wars ... I amd for voting about that
    Great orders make from soldiers heroes, wrong orders make from them cowards.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

we planned a long time ago that the next version will include greece and carthage, but thats way in the future...

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

Automatix's Avatar Semisalis

so if you need so I can help (just as researcher because my modding skill are low but i can learn something if you need something ) just let me know
    Last edited by Automatix; June 23, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Great orders make from soldiers heroes, wrong orders make from them cowards.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

Venia's Avatar Auxilium meum a Domino

The thing is we need a working product first before we can start expanding
    SOI skinner/video maker/moderator
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1496,

Hi there!

Nice to see someone take on the Ancient Near East, although I don't agree about everything there's been to see so far, its still nice.

I have however got a few questions and maybe a few suggestions.

1. How strictly are you going for history vs artistic creativity? I understand that you may have to make some educated guesses at this period for what would be probably for a faction to have when hard information is scarce. But for example the Temple Guards for Judah, that is not strictly historical, is it?

2. What manner of sources are you using? Do you use the Bible as a correct historical text? (I personally hope not but I thought that perhaps I should ask)

3. A question about the faction list. Why did both Israel and Judah make it into the faction list when several other factions in the same area, some of them more powerful than Judah as far as I've understood it, were left out? I was wondering why you made this decisions instead of having one of them and one of the other local powers? Moab, Edom, Ammon, the Philistine cities (or one of them), Aram Damascus, the Aramean or Neo-Hittite realms to the north etc.? This is in no way meant as a complain but it, I was wondering why you made the choice of those two factions in particilar for the southern Levant?

A short note about Babylonia. I've come to understand that there were some tensions between the "old Babylonians" of great and ancient cities and against the Aramean and Chaldean tribes that have moved in and occupied the countryside. Any plans to represent this in some way for in the game? Many of the Babylonian rebellions would for instance seem to have a source with these tribes, although of course not every one.

4. Are there any plans, however loose, to try to convert all, or some, names of building, unites, cities etc. into their historical names in the "native" language? I use the term "native" rather loosely since it would seem to me that many places changed hands many times and many groups used different languages.

5. How will religion be handeled? What types of religions will there be? Different temples for different deities or just one generic temple structure for each faction? Other religion-related buildings?
    Last edited by Gurkhal; June 30, 2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Rephrased question nr. 3

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkhal View Post
    2. What manner of sources are you using? Do you use the Bible as a correct historical text? (I personally hope not but I thought that perhaps I should ask)
    What's wrong with the bible as source?
    I mean, even many atheist see the stories in the bible as historical accurate.
    Besides, there are no sources that are completely without critics.

What's wrong with the bible as source?
    It isn't a historical but a theological text, and as far as I've understood it there isn't all that much archeological support for most of its stories. Which means that it most likly tells more about its writers and their own time, than of the time it proclaims to tell about.

I mean, even many atheist see the stories in the bible as historical accurate.
    I'd say that it depends alot of which stories as alot of them simply don't hold any proof outside of the Bible for happening. The further back they are said to have happened, the less likly they are, to my understanding to be litterary true. These atheist may hold what views they want, I think they are wrong.

Besides, there are no sources that are completely without critics.
    Absolutly, which is also the reason why I wouldn't suggest someone to competely disregard the Bible. I'm not a Biblical minimalist . But I would also warn that person that the Bible wasn't writen to give objective historical information but to, like all or most, ancient texts to send some kind of message. In the case of the Bible theological, and/or political, messanges.

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

It isn't a historical but a theological text, and as far as I've understood it there isn't all that much archeological support for most of its stories. Which means that it most likly tells more about its writers and their own time, than of the time it proclaims to tell about.
    so belive me that you dont know any thing, i live in israel and in israel we have a lot of historical places from the bible.
    and in those places we get a lot archeological support.
    the bible it a story about some ages. and this stories have an a theological idea.
    if you dont belive about something it dont say that it worng
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

I dont want to make a religious battle about this but there is much archilogical evidence that states that biblical events are true, just search google

so belive me that you dont know any thing, i live in israel and in israel we have a lot of historical places from the bible.
    and in those places we get a lot archeological support.
    the bible it a story about some ages. and this stories have an a theological idea.
    if you dont belive about something it dont say that it worng
    The problem would be that the fact that the place exists isn't enough. For example Jericho, which exists, although it was already a ruin when the Israelites arrived and not populated again untill after the Israelites had already settled. I'd even be bold enough to say: if there was an invasion at all. The time and circumstances regarding these places and what is said about them in the Bible also has to match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...ho#Historicity

What support you have I don't know but I would be happy to read it, if you would provide some links with archeological support for the Historicity of the Bible.

I dont want to make a religious battle about this but there is much archilogical evidence that states that biblical events are true, just search google
    It isn't a matter of religion, but a critic about a source. I did look for archeological evidence for the Bible but didn't find , but didn't anything convincing. I'll look around a bit more and see if I'll catch something that will make me change my mind. If you have any good links, feel free to share.
    Last edited by Gurkhal; June 30, 2010 at 01:02 PM.

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

but it in hebrew.....and in books...not internat
    so man i think that you get answer so pls stop to post it will become somthng like "religious battle" so pls stop.
    we just made mod about great age.
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

but it in hebrew.....and in books...not internat
    so man i think that you get answer so pls stop to post it will become somthng like "religious battle" so pls stop.
    we just made mod about great age.
    Ok, I'll drop. Would it be possible for you or someone else to make some comments/answers on the other questions in my post?

the Temple Guards for Judah are man from the levy tribe there misson was to protect salomon tample there was one of the 12 tribes of israel and untill today there are Jewish people who are considered as part of the tribe of Levi and there last name is Levy hare is alink about the levy tribe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levite

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

1. How strictly are you going for history vs artistic creativity? I understand that you may have to make some educated guesses at this period for what would be probably for a faction to have when hard information is scarce. But for example the Temple Guards for Judah, that is not strictly historical, is it?
    Well we try and make it as historical as we can, but as you very well know, it's not easy within this time period. I think the team needs to be commended for taking on such a bold challenge when nobody else dared to. Particularly when the most reputable modders of this site have turned their backs on history, and as a result the fantasy mods seem to be prevailing.

The Kingdom of Judah was obviously the occupier of the Temple of Jerusalem, which is also where vast amounts of treasure were held. In later history, the Temple was sacked, particularly by Antiochus of Seleukia, during the time when his empire was suffering from 'bankruptcy'. While I'm not a historian, I assume it would therefore make sense then that the Temple had elite guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkhal
    We're using the Old Testament, which despite what you may think, is a perfectly valid historical text. Particularly its descriptions of the Kingdom's of Jerusalem and Israel.

3. A question about the faction list. Why did both Israel and Judah make it into the faction list when several other factions in the same area, some of them more powerful than Judah as far as I've understood it, were left out? I was wondering why you made this decisions instead of having one of them and one of the other local powers? Moab, Edom, Ammon, the Philistine cities (or one of them), Aram Damascus, the Aramean or Neo-Hittite realms to the north etc.? This is in no way meant as a complain but it, I was wondering why you made the choice of those two factions in particilar for the southern Levant?
    I'll just start off by saying that we will add more factions in later releases. The reason why we didn't increase the scale of this mod to perhaps what it should be is that we'd rather release this mod sooner rather than later, and limit the workload for ourselves. Later factions and map expansions and gameplay additions will be added with future patches.

The Kingdom of Judah and Israel, compared to some of the other factions during this time period have more historical texts which are available to us. There's also the fact that they probably provide more of an attraction, than say the Kingdom of Moab would. Prophets were also very important to the Kingdom's of Judah and Israel, though not to them alone, and having these two factions onboard allows us to make some gameplay additions involving the prophets.

A short note about Babylonia. I've come to understand that there were some tensions between the "old Babylonians" of great and ancient cities and against the Aramean and Chaldean tribes that have moved in and occupied the countryside. Any plans to represent this in some way for in the game? Many of the Babylonian rebellions would for instance seem to have a source with these tribes, although of course not every one.
    We've not made any discussions on this as of yet. But if you can think of a way to represent this in the game, then we'd be more than happy to make such an addition.

4. Are there any plans, however loose, to try to convert all, or some, names of building, unites, cities etc. into their historical names in the "native" language? I use the term "native" rather loosely since it would seem to me that many places changed hands many times and many groups used different languages.
    This is something I would also like to see in the mod. There's still a lot to be done though and nothing is complete.

5. How will religion be handeled? What types of religions will there be? Different temples for different deities or just one generic temple structure for each faction? Other religion-related buildings?
    I can't comment on this entirely. But I can say that religion will be quite an important aspect of our mod.

dragonsign's Avatar International Brigade

Please not start another fight over the bible... I can promise you all that God will not intervene on the battlemap and break the moral of the enemy for you, even if you pray really hard!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast