Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World – Working with the Demis online Mapper

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World – Working with the Worldwind mapper

I am having a suspicion that the "level" entry is not read properly by the game. This is how my log starts when set to trace:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    18:42:10.900 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    18:42:10.900 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    18:42:10.913 [system.io] [trace] exists: 1: caching directory: packs
    18:42:10.931 [system.io] [trace] exists: 1: caching file: packs/data_0.pack (1160094406)
    18:42:10.931 [system.io] [trace] exists: 2: caching file: packs/data_1.pack (1160094546)
    18:42:10.931 [system.io] [trace] exists: 3: caching file: packs/data_2.pack (1160094732)
    18:42:10.931 [system.io] [trace] exists: 4: caching file: packs/data_3.pack (1160094940)
    18:42:10.931 [system.io] [trace] exists: 5: caching file: packs/data_4.pack (1160095028)
    18:42:10.931 [system.io] [trace] exists: 6: caching file: packs/localized.pack (1160102528)
    18:42:10.971 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    18:42:10.987 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    18:42:11.013 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    18:42:11.045 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    18:42:11.064 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    18:42:11.087 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    18:42:11.087 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/localized.pack
    18:42:11.087 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_4.pack
    18:42:11.087 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_3.pack
    18:42:11.087 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_2.pack
    18:42:11.087 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_1.pack
    18:42:11.118 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_0.pack
    18:42:11.119 [system.io] [trace] exists: 2: caching directory: mods/regionmod_kings/packs
    18:42:11.216 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/RegionMod_Kings/data/text/shared.txt (from: C:\MyGames\Medieval II Total War)
    18:42:11.234 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/RegionMod_Kings/data/text/shared.txt.strings.bin (from: C:\MyGames\Medieval II Total War)
    18:42:11.234 [system.io] [trace] file open,,04201180,13696
    18:42:11.234 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/RegionMod_Kings/data/text/shared.txt.strings.bin (from: C:\MyGames\Medieval II Total War)
    18:42:11.258 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/RegionMod_Kings/data/text/tooltips.txt (from: C:\MyGames\Medieval II Total War)
    18:42:11.282 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/RegionMod_Kings/data/text/tooltips.txt.strings.bin (from: C:\MyGames\Medieval II Total War)

Maybe alter your log entry to read similar to this:
    [ai]
    ltgd_logging = true

[log]
    to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    file = game.script.* logs/pkh.script2.log.txt
    file = game.script* logs/pkh.script.log.txt
    file = game.script logs/pkh.scriptoutput.log.txt
    file = ai.ltgd logs/pkh.ai.log.txt

Other options:
    1. Check your mod with Geomod, eg validate all regions - you might have a wrong RGB entry in descr_regions. Make sure the region you choose in the list is highlighted in the map window (left window)
    2. Upload your complete folder (as long as the compressed size doesn't exceed 40MB) and give me a link in a PM.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

I did some research myself and got the whole thing fixed by now.
    The map had 20 "land-masses", but the limit is, as I found out, hardcoded to a maximum of 20.

I fixed this and things are working again.

Thx anyway.

Blog Entries

You can work around the landmass limit by placing pixels (descr_regions) from one region on several landmasses.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Ok, I did everything you said in the instructions but when I try to open the map with GEOMOD it says :invalid map dimensions..
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

The max size of map_regions.tga is 510x510 pixels.
    Also u have to define the dimensions in descr_terrain.txt.
    Last edited by Ishan; July 28, 2010 at 07:37 PM.

Civitate

dimensions? those i put at the start (1019, 651) or the ones divided(509, 325)?
    In fact I tried both and it still pops up the same message.
    the map_regions.tga is also 509x325 so no problem there.

If I understood well the procedure. You just install GEOMOD and Bare_Geomod, you create all the tga's put them into the Bare_Geomod folder and run Geomod choosing the Bare_Geomod folder as the main one.. I did everything of this but still..
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; July 28, 2010 at 08:15 PM.
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    dimensions? those i put at the start (1019, 651) or the ones divided(509, 325)?
    In fact I tried both and it still pops up the same message.
    the map_regions.tga is also 509x325 so no problem there.

If I understood well the procedure. You just install GEOMOD and Bare_Geomod, you create all the tga's put them into the Bare_Geomod folder and run Geomod choosing the Bare_Geomod folder as the main one.. I did everything of this but still..
    Seems u have done everything right but there is gotta be something wrong with the dimensions
    All i know is that like if :-
    map_regions.tga have (X,Y) dimensions
    then a few have {(X*2)+1},{(Y*2)+1} dimensions
    While a few have (X*2),(Y*2) dimensions.

Blog Entries

Two possible reasons:

1. You forgot to create a map graphic. Which means the one provided with 'Bare Geomod' will be taken and might have the wrong dimensions.
    2. One of your graphics files has not the right dimensions. A likely candidate is map_roughness as it is just double the map_regions size, no added pixel.

Civitate

I don't have a map_roughness map..
    I got exactly what was said in the tutorial and I think all the maps got the right dimensions, here they are:

map_heights 1019x651
    map_climates 1019x651
    map_ground_types 1019x651
    radarmap 1019x651

map_features 509x325
    map_regions 509x325

radarmap1 250x125
    radarmap2 500x250
    water_surface 256x256

Blog Entries

I just checked my tutorial and you are correct. I simply assumed that it was known to add two blank graphics (map_roughness and map_trade_routes) to the collection of graphics. It is described in my tutorial Creating a World - Basic Mapping from scratch. I will add that to this tutorial and re-publish. thank you for pointing out that short coming.

Just so you can continue in the meantime, fill a graphic with black (RGB 0,0,0) and make it the following sizes:
    map_trade_routes.tga = same size as map_regions
    map_roughness.tga = double the size of map_regions

Civitate

Ok, thanks, I just started practicing with modding so I don't know many things.. Just what I read on the tutorial..
    About the trade routes and the map roughness should I open an already existing map such as map regions or a completely new gimp?

A new black .tga file will do fine.

Blog Entries

Ishan is correct - and document is updated.

Civitate

Ok guys, I did that. One the descr_terrain what dimensions shall I add?
    1019x651 or 509x325

Blog Entries

The second one. Check out the tut I suggested, it will help to better understand how the files interact.

Civitate

OMG, still can't open it..
    I've placed all the maps I mentioned above together with the two new ones in the Geomod/M2TW_files/data/world/maps/base and I run Geomod, taking the files from the mentioned folder and still dimensions are wrong..

Civitate

I uploaded the files here so you can test them if you want and see if there are any mistakes..
    Whenever you have time..

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    I uploaded the files here so you can test them if you want and see if there are any mistakes..
    Whenever you have time..
    I downloaded and checked your pictures. I think we are working on the same map. This is my old project (not complated but it works):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/7-CV8ln_/Bare_Kingdoms.html (Find this sentence: "Save file to your PC: click here")
    Spoiler for Screenshot

You can work with my project.

Geomod and Bineditor programs are inside the mod folder and mod folder (Bare Kingdoms) is ready to run.

Blog Entries

The sizes are all correct, so I guess your descr_terrain hasn't got the proper entry.

Civitate

dimensions
    {
    width 509
    height 325
    }
    heights
    {
    min_sea_height -3406.782
    max_land_height 7511.272
    }
    roughness
    {
    min 50.000
    max 200.000
    }
    fractal
    {
    multiplier 0.500
    }
    lattitude
    {
    min 22.000
    max 56.000
    }

As I saw I don't have a map.rwm file does this cause any problems?

@nedensiz1 thanks a lot friend, I'll try your map although I wanna give most of my attention to the area around the Mediterranean and not so much to Mesopotamia..
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; July 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast